1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bengals Jacob Bell retires due to brain injury fears

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by robbie380, May 9, 2012.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bengals-bell-abruptly-retires-own-191021086--nfl.html

Bengals Bell abruptly retires 'on own terms'

The Cincinnati Bengals placed offensive guard Jacob Bell on the reserve/retired list Wednesday. The 31-year-old cited long-term health considerations and said he didn't want to get to jeopardize "true health for money."

Bell played eight NFL seasons -- four with Tennessee and four with St. Louis -- before signing with Cincinnati as an unrestricted free agent April 10.

He started 100 of the 109 games he played in the NFL but missed 10 games over four seasons with the Rams.

"I've been thinking about some different things, thinking about health, thinking about the future of my family having to deal with some kind of crazy disease that nobody even knows about, where people want their brains studied after they're dead. Donating their brains to research," Bell said in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"It's just crazy to see how someone like Junior Seau took his own life over -- God knows what he was really struggling and dealing with. But you have to believe it came from the game of football. I want to get out before the game makes me get out, where I can get out on my own terms, and I can limit the amount of stress and negative impact that the game would leave on me."

Bell wouldn't estimate how many concussions he's had in his career, in part, because he isn't sure if they're accurately diagnosed when concussion-like symptoms arise.

"If you're telling me 'I'm seeing stars' is some sort of concussion, then you're getting a couple a week," Bell said.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Quoting the most important line of the article - and they're starting to confirm this is the case. It isn't simply the number of KO concussions that matter, it's the cumulative damage of "bell-ringing" hits.

For all of NFL's denial that they downplayed concussions in the past....they're definitely keeping the blinders on about this, keeping the focus 100% on definable concussions.

3. Raven

Raven Member

I guess some people won't be satisfied until the NFL is forced to either change the game into something unrecognizable or perhaps shut down the league entirely.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Or just at least recognizing what a concussion is and treating them with the proper amount of rest when they happen. Also, I wonder if the players would be better off without the helmets and shoulder pads. Less protection but the hits wouldn't be as hard either so maybe less whiplash.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Sports rise and fall. Baseball used to be the most popular sport and its not that anymore.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Or maybe the NFL is more barbaric than some of us want to admit. I used to be a huge boxing fan until the Boom Boom Mancini vs. Duk Koo Kim fight. Gave it up pretty much cold turkey after seeing that. Now I think professional boxing is trash.

Maybe there should be significant changes in football. I don't want the game to be messed up but let's get more information on long-term damage and be open-minded to changes.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Aren't concussions taken really seriously in boxing/mma? Why it isn't in football is why people are outraged.

8. emjohn

No one wants the league shut down. Everybody's irked by the current rules that lead to Watt getting a 15 yard penalty for wrapping up Dan Orlovsky around the waist.

But to ignore what's happening to these players is beyond callous and self-absorbed.

There's a slew of guys I loved watching in the 90s that are going to have early onset Alzheimers this decade. It's inhuman that folks want to look the other way and not see them suffer (or care) because they're out of the league and no longer entertaining us.

You don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater though. They're taking a decent step with the heavy crackdown on head hunters - guys like Harrison, Roman Harper, Bernard Pollard, etc need to go. Box safeties as we see them today in general need to go.

But I think they are going to have to consider a radical redesign of the padding and helmets. People aren't hurt because they're being hit...they're being hurt because they're being hit with hard helmets and hard shoulder pads. Lose the plastic and go back to foam-type materials.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have a lot of respect for guys who retire around the 30 year mark.

Get your rookie contract, work hard, land your big free agent deal, then retire a millionaire without any significant mental or physical impairments.

Smart cookies.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I think one of the issues here that nobody is touching on is this....

Helmet and shoulder-pad safety innovations have contributed to concussions and brain injury in football rather than helping to prevent them.

Think about it this way......

Back in the old days of football, when players wore leather helmets and leather pads, defensive players tackled offensive players with their hands & arms, and by undercutting them at their feet. They never hit an offensive player by leading with their helmet.

As helmets and pads improved, defensive players began hitting offensive players with their helmets first, like a human missle. The defensive player thinks he is better protected, and is willing to play with more abandon, increasing the chances of injury to himself and to the offensive player.

Thoughts? Or am I completely full of crap?? Discuss.....

11. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Lots of good ideas here. Go back to leather helmets and no shoulder pads.

Would you really want to go head first into someone with a leather helmet?

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

NFL plays every week. Boxers have a few fights per year.

NFL's not changing anything. Just put a waiver on their contracts and see how many choose not to sign.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Anyone know what the concussion or cte rates are in rugby? I know it is a tough sport, but I don't think there are as many head shots or hits that result in whiplash.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it has to be an old school leather helmet, but some sort of padded helmet that will minimize damage when the head hits the ground. Maybe like boxing head gear, but with a lot more emphasis on protecting the back of the head.

Completely get rid of shoulder pads and maybe look to replace it with mandatory knee bracing to help minimize joint damage due to lower body hits. Those knee braces are cumbersome, but I think they are less cumbersome than a heavy tape job. When I wore one it didn't really slow me down, but I just didn't like wearing it because I never wanted to get used to it.

15. emjohn

I wouldn't get rid of the padding - it is there for a reason, and there are enough shoulder injuries and collarbone fractures as it is.

No issues with rigid padding on the back - you need to protect the spine and kidneys, and they aren't used to hit people.

Otherwise, I think they've got to take a second look at soft or semi-soft materials for helmets and padding.

16. Major

Major Member

This is most likely true - but on the flipside, what other types of injuries has it prevented? Has it prevented other neck and head injuries that used to occur? And if so, how do you weigh the benefits of each? There's also a huge open question of how many former players also got just as many concussions but no one knew because we didn't know nearly as much about concussions in general.

There are multiple factors in play here - one is the heavier equipment, but the other is bigger, faster, and more athletic players. So it's hard to say whether going back to the older equipment would fix things if that equipment is being used by bigger/faster/stronger players. O-Linemen used to not always be 300 pounds minimum - I assume the same is the case for other positions as well, so you were simply getting hit by less force.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think a reduction in shoulder pads would help as well.

That is by far one of the most enabling pieces of equipment players wear.

Keeping it rigid in terms of its collapsibility on the horizontal axis is important to prevent sprained shoulders and broken collar bones from the tacklee, but the bulk that it provides for blunt force trauma inflicted by the tackler needs to be scaled back.

18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Sports Science: NFL vs Rugby tackles
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W7tGY-VDx3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You might as well just what you're trying to say and call the dude a p*ssy.

20. Voice of Reason

I don't think there is an easy answer to this. Going with a leather helmet and reducing the shoulder pads sounds like a good idea, but you are still going to have some crazy individuals that will still risk injury to be the best. Leather helmet or no helmet wont stop a Ronnie Lott type player from changing their game. The injuries will be more severe.

How about this?

[​IMG]