1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben McLemore is awesome.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 31, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

BMac was unconscious in first half, hit every 3ball.

Just wish he would clean up his D. Just stop jumping in the air.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Well, he's shooting himself out of Tilman's budget is what he's doing.

OTOH he literally does nothing well except get open and shoot.

No rebounds, steals, blocks, defense, smarts, assists, free throws.... absolutely nothing. He's actually barely average at most of those things lol

What I'm saying is, I'm glad he's on fire for us off the bench, but he's just a Troy Daniels having a good season.

Rivers can be significantly valuable too. Can defend and drive, decent passer and protector of ball, he's our 3rd PG. He's shooting 35.5% from 3 and even making almost 70% of his FT's.

Can Gordon compete with these two? They are both playing well. We may need to shelve McLemore's offense for Gordon's defense but

I don't think we can afford not to overplay our best defenders: Covington, Tucker, Gordon, Rivers, House (kinda) and Harden (situational). Green has certainly been passable, while we wait to see if Moute or Caboclo might sneak into form before the second round of the playoffs. We really have to maximize their minutes to have a chance defensively.

Bearing in mind we need to be top 10 defensively and offensively:

Any combination of this roster with Harden and Russ will produce a top 3 offense in the playoffs.

However most defensive combinations with this roster will be horrendous, just too porous to win any title. We have to think DEFENSE even at the cost of offense, but we put a lame duck MDA at the helm so good luck getting him to do anything except try to achieve the greatest offense in NBA history (which imo he will).

#42 Mathloom, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a remarkable shooter that is beginning to show some good signs on defense. Quick rotations and he is getting a crash course on defending 1-5. He is such a good worker that I have high hopes for him and Dan both. If he can keep working on his defensive discipline by virtue of not fouling, man we GOT A SCORE... His off-ball movement and elite trigger finger have immense value as a 9th man that can be a spot starter throughout the season.

Mike D'Antoni has done a fabulous job developing both Ben McLemore and Danuel House. They are still improving because of his confidence in them. Ben won't be leaving Mike anytime soon, I wouldn't worry much about his contract. Gerald Green sweetheart deals for the perfect fit.

#43 RudyTBag, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm seeing improvements on the defensive end. Kid needs more playing time and to simply keep working. For opposing teams defending us, a guy like this without conscious is TERRIFYING. His confident attitude spreads quicker than Covid-19.

5. lionaire

lionaire Member

He’s honestly not that bad defensively as long as he stays on the ground. But that’s the issue, he bites on EVERYTHING.

With that being said his shooting is just too damn good for us not to play him in the playoffs.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Defense is not as horrible as you think.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ben and Rockets are not panicking.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6-8 million coming up.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

props to Ben Mac! i hated him early on, but i guess his jitters have gone away and his shooting justifies his sub par defense. not sure if i like him over Gordon to close a tight game where defense is needed, nor do i think he can get heavy minutes against the best teams in the playoffs, but as a bench guy, he is perfect for the minimum. We are lucky to have him.

i guess gerald green won't be back next year.

diehardrockets likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

We don't play single quarters unfortunately. There's a reason all the algorithms are sending those tweets our way, it's highly selective good news that registers well with fans.

The defense is nowhere near good enough to win a title. It's 10-15 games away. Will take a miracle. Which is why it's going to be a miracle when we win it.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He's always had the potential to be a really good shooter, the tools were always there, it was just a question of putting it all together and finding the right fit. I really like the guy, but I'm not surprised that he flamed out a little early. I'm also not surprised that he's making a nice comeback for himself. He's a perfect fit for his role and current contract on this team. Couldn't ask for much more really.

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

This guy could replace Gordon on the cheap.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Deadly from the corner.

travfrancis and Hakeemtheking like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Now Lakers blaming their to Rockets loss on line up experimentation.

LOL

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

How about Top 10 in defense since Capela/Covington trade, a full 18ngames.

That enough quarters for you? :D

Hakeemtheking and jcmoon like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Unlocked or just on a streak?

:D

Play for MDA and see your numbers improve.

Come to Houston, where careers are rejuvenated.

eliefor3, jch1911 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I believe the Rockets have him under contract for next season.

As for his defense, I am confident he will improve and be adequate as most his issues can be fixed. He had a lot of bad habits when he joined the Rockets and did not know some basic stuff. He just hasn’t been properly coached in the past

clutchdabear, jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  20. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I like what I am seeing from Ben McLemore. He's done a good job of playing with max confidence and swag . . . hitting lots of threes. Great stuff.

D-rock likes this.