1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be Very Happy that Dolan is not the Rockets Owner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Mar 9, 2019.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This silver spoon buffoon is suffocating a great franchise and city. If they don't get Durant+ this summer, he should be forced to sell the team. The NBA is so much better when the Knicks are relevant. If it's sink or swim for general managers, coaches, and players, it should be true for owners as well. 20 years is enough time to figure it out. Two straight decades of failure, hundreds of abysmal performances in Madison Square Garden, should embarrass Adam Silver.

DCkid likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope
    He likes to overpay average players
    That’s the reason why the Knicks sucked so much

Jontro likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Wish the guy who said that had more behind what he said and unloaded on Dolan.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At least Dolan can afford to pay for the luxury tax.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

There was a question posed on a sports radio show I was listening to a few years ago after the Cubs finally won the world series. It was something like, "what team in professional sports are the new Cubs." Basically, talking about a team with a huge amounts of support, but with an equally huge lack of success. Somehow, the Knicks were not mentioned. It's been 20+ years since they've been relevant. Approaching 50 years since their last championship. Their most exciting moments from the past two decades was Linsanity. Despite all that, they're still the most valuable team in the league.

It's almost surreal how irrelevant that team has been for so long. At some point the NBA needs the Knicks to turn it around. NBA Viewership has been nose-diving this year. I'm definitely not crying about New York City's lack of sports success, but as an NBA fan, I'm ready for the Knicks to be good again. The league could certainly use that boost.

#25 DCkid, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    rocks123 and Koperboy like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're more than welcome to go be a fan of him and his organization then. its very well run

7. Buck Turgidson

The Cubs only turned it around after they got new ownership. The Tribune Co never cared about the product on the field, because the Cubs were just an asset they could make money hand over fist from, via the idiot Cubfans who filled the park and didn't care if they won. Then they got an owner who actually cared, hired a top-shelf front office, and left them alone to run things (See also: Houston Astros)

Nick_713 likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I doubt ClutchFans would exist is Dolan was owner

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think deucebag (like a bag of poop) could really catch on!

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's already been copyrighted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There used to be a lot of Cubs fan jokes, kind of like Aggie jokes. I wonder why there are no Knicks fan jokes.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamza...am-will-attract-top-free-agents/#380fe7b3529d

In a long and sometimes rambling interview Tuesday on the YES Network, Knicks owner Jim Dolan said he will not sell the team and hopes to turn the team's fortunes around through free agency and the NBA Draft.

"We’re not quitting, we’re not selling, we believe we're going to bring a winner home," Dolan said on The Michael Kay Show. "Time will tell."

Asked if he would consider selling the team for $6 billion if a rich hedge-fund person came up with the funds, Dolan said, "No, we’re not selling the team."

Last month, Bill Simmons reported on his podcast that the Knicks were "courting offers" for the team, which is the highest-valued franchise in the NBA at $4 billion, according to Forbes. Last December, Dolan also told ESPN.com he wouldn't rule out selling the team if the right offer came along.

"I said what I said in that interview and I regret saying it," he said Tuesday.

[...]

"What would be really helpful is if we got a ping pong ball to fall for us," said Dolan,

The Knicks have enough cap space for two max free agents and are widely expected to target Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in a class that also includes Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris.

"Players who are free agents want to go to a winner and they want to get paid," he said. "We’re definitely going to pay them. We think with them and the kids that we have now, we can build a winning team."

He added: "New York is the mecca of basketball and we hear from people all the time...From what we've heard, I think we're going to have a very successful season when it comes to free agents."

Dolan praised the team's young core assembled by President Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry. That group includes first-round pick Kevin Knox, second-round pick Mitchell Robinson and other players added via signings including Allonzo Trier, Noah Vonleh and Damyean Dotson.

"Do you know how many teams passed on Mitchell Robinson? " he asked. "Do you know how many teams wished they had Mitchell Robinson right now?"

On the topics of Phil Jackson and Kristaps Porzingis, Dolan defended Jackson but admitted he asked him to resign after Jackson chose Frank Ntilikina in the 2017 NBA Draft. The Knicks passed on Dennis Smith Jr. and Donovan Mitchell that year.

"It clearly wasn't working," he said of Jackson, who was reportedly paid $60 million over five years to run the Knicks.

He then added of Ntilikina: "We don’t know how good Frank’s going to be and who else they would’ve chosen. I don’t have that information."

He said Jackson eventually wanted to trade Porzingis after drafting him at No. 4 overall in 2015.

"He did," Dolan said.

When the Knicks realized this year that Porzingis (who is recovering from ACL surgery) wasn't committed to the team long-term, they engineered the blockbuster deal that sent him to the Dallas Mavericks along with Courtney Lee, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Trey Burke in exchange for Smith Jr., Deandre Jordan, Wes Matthews and future draft picks.

"When Porzingis said, 'I do not want to be here,' that sort of cast the dye on what we had to do," Dolan said.

Dolan gave the interview after banning a fan from the Garden who told him to "Sell the team." Dolan called it an "ambush."

The video was immediately sold to TMZ and has since cast another huge shadow on how Dolan runs the Garden. He also had a run-in with Knicks fan favorite Charles Oakley in 2017 after an altercation with security officials after they told him to leave his seat at the arena near Dolan. Oakley was cleared of misdemeanor assault charges last year.

"He just tries to bully everybody, and it just don't make sense," Oakley told The Associated Press on Monday.

Said Dolan of the fan: "I can't see letting him back in...You can't do that in Madison Square Garden. You are not allowed to stalk the owner and then do that."

Dolan also defended his practice of suppressing the Daily News by not allowing its reporters into certain press conference or on conference calls. The Daily News is known for its critical coverage of Dolan and the team.

"There are certain journalists that actually wish ill will towards the team," Dolan said. "They don't want to see the team win...They have their own personal axes to grind."

"Every newspaper should be allowed into every news-making event," Kay, a former New York Post reorter, told Dolan.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/james-dolan-knicks-michael-kay-1.28430065

After Saturday’s loss to the Kings, a fan yelled “sell the team” at Dolan as he left his courtside seat. The video soon turned up on TMZ. Dolan was heard saying, “You want to not come to any more games?”

Dolan called the fan “rude” and seemed to signal to security officials to deal with him.

On the Kay show, Dolan painted the incident as a confrontation planned by the fan and his friends.

Asked what happened, Dolan said, “Look, let me just start off that I do understand that for the fans it’s about winning and losing, and we haven’t been doing much winning, and there’s a real big frustration there. We get it. I don’t like losing, either. In fact, I probably like it less than almost anybody.’

Regarding the incident, he said, “It’s pretty easy. It appears that this gentleman and his friends planned to do this. That just before the game they cleared their profiles out. We have video which shows them moving from one side of the arena to the other and pointing to me to set this ambush up and they did. Then as soon as they were done with it, it was immediately sold to TMZ. But look, not for nothing, but I shouldn’t have taken the bait.”

When co-host Peter Rosenberg suggested Dolan had “walked into it,” Dolan said, “I did. We had just lost, again, and believe it or not I get frustrated with it, too.”

Dolan said he does not mind most comments from fans, saying, “You hear all kinds of stuff. What is a problem is when someone becomes confrontational, and these people were there for a confrontation.”

Asked why he continues to sit courtside, he said, “I could hide. I’ve been sitting there for 25 years. A, I like the seats. They’re pretty good. B, I like the fans to know I’m engaged . . . There are owners who don’t even live in the cities where their teams play . . . We’re home. We’re here. We’re experiencing the wins and the losses with the fans, and we care.”

He said of the fan who urged him to sell the team, “What he's really saying is quit. It’s not saying sell the team. It’s ‘Quit.’ . . Just for the record, I am not selling the team, and I am not quitting.”

Asked later whether he would consider selling for $6 billion, he said, “No. No, we’re not selling the team. We are not selling the team.”

He added, “Most of the fans get it, they really do . . . Take a look at our record, and then take a look at our attendance.”

Dolan said he initially planned to invite the fan back and explain to him what the team’s plans for the future are. But after it became clear the episode was planned, he said, “I can’t see letting him back in.”

“In the end, look, we would have let him back in,” Dolan said. “Kicking him out is no big deal. The game was over. The ban is only coming from the fact we now have learned he planned it. They were stalking me. No, you can’t do that at Madison Square Garden. You are not allowed to stalk the owner and then confront him like that.”

Dolan said his plan for improving his public image is by winning.

Asked whether the job of owning the Knicks wears on him, he said, “Oh, yeah. Look, we’ve been trying for a long time. This isn’t like the back 40 that we didn’t plow for 10 years.”

Dolan added advice to prospective sports owners: “If your goal is to be beloved, don’t buy a sports team.”

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26234076/oakley-calls-knicks-dolan-bully-fan-incident

Former New York Knicks star Charles Oakley said team owner James Dolan is a "bully" for threatening to ban fans from Madison Square Garden.

Oakley, a longtime NBA enforcer and rebounding machine, said Dolan was wrong to mouth off at a fan who told him to sell the team during a loss at MSG.

"He just tries to bully everybody, and it just don't make sense," Oakley told The Associated Press on Monday.

Oakley was angered by Dolan's reaction after New York lost on Saturday and a fan yelled at the owner to "sell the team."

"You really think I should sell the team?" Dolan said on video run on TMZ. Dolan asked the fan if he wanted to come to any more games, called him "rude," and told him to "enjoy watching them on TV."

"Our policy is and will continue to be that if you are disrespectful to anyone in our venues, we will ask you not to return," the Madison Square Garden Company said in a statement.

Oakley wasn't having it from Dolan.

"He just bullies people because he has money and power," Oakley said.

The 55-year-old Oakley played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998, helping them reach the NBA Finals. He attended games a few times a year, buying his own tickets because he was no longer comped or invited to official team functions. But his relationship with the franchise was frayed even before the 2017 altercation that included his hitting one security guard in the face and shoving at least one other before he was dragged away and handcuffed.

Dolan lifted Oakley's ban from MSG shortly after meeting with Oakley and NBA commissioner Adam Silver. Oakley said nothing was really settled in the meeting.

Oakley said there was little reason for any reconciliation with Dolan.

"Why would I want to do it with someone who had me dragged out of the Garden for no reason," Oakley said Monday. "Why would I want a relationship with him? I told him I wasn't happy."

The Knicks are 13-54 and in last place in the Eastern Conference and have been one of the worst teams in the NBA over the past 20 years.

"I'm allowed in 29 arenas except the Garden," he said. "They've said, 'We'd retire your jersey,' they'll do this. But you think I want my jersey hanging outside the Garden? They can still see it. But you just dragged me outside the ... Garden."

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Dolan is all for media censorship. Great straight up guy!

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. jayland

jayland Member

Maybe it’s a New York spoiled rich guy thing. Trump, Dolan, etc likes banning the press for any hint of criticism.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. theimpossibles1

I pity you.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stephen A Smith, Max Kellerman getting angry at the Knicks, their Chilhood team, makes me smile.

While those 2 fools always say negative about Mike DAntoni, Daryl Morey, Chris Paul, James Harden.

The Rockets are getting more wins in 1 season compared, Knicks total wins in 3 seasons.

Humbleness is not Stephen, Max.

Stephen getting angry at the Steelers for trading Antinio Brown was funny. Stephen childhood team the Steelers, what is he a bandwagon fan. The Knicks, Steelers, Lakers, 76ers are Stephen A teams.