1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BCS Championship Game: No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 2 Texas

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wonder how many snaps gg got with 1st team in practice.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bama suckered him on that fumble... went to a zone on the short side and had 1 defender for 2 WRs on the line with a safety deep on that side. GG made the right read before the snap, knowing that the D config would give him a good option for a clean, short pass depending on who the line defender picked to cover. However, he locked in on that too much and didn't see the other side of the field. The correct throw would have been to Buckner in the space vacated by the blitzer.

(Of course, a play that kept a back in to block or pushed Buckner out further would have also made a difference.)

Not so much tunnel vision as lack of experience going up against a clever defensive call. He'll be OK and it will be fun watching him learn the game next year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we see GG in this game again.

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

from Barking Carnival:

"Do we win with Colt? Probably. Do we win without that shovel pass? Maybe. We got two gifts on kickoff returns that we did little with, so it’s hard to say Alabama got luckier bounces than we did. Ultimately the game ended the only way it could have — a mental error by the OL in an empty set in an obvious passing situation. If that doesn’t sum up the entire season then I don’t know what does."

Pretty much...

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/01/08/postgame-by-debbie-downer/

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My God - Colt's girl is fine. Believe it or not but Baylor has some dimes. I miss college :(

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Thought for the UT fans who are BCS proponents.

The BCS system encourages (and in some ways requires) that teams run up the score (playing their starters longer in blowouts) in order to keep pace in the BCS standings to get into the title game.

This contributed to Gilbert's lack of experience, and by proxy, probably cost UT a few decent series of offensive possessions as Gilbert started to get his game working.

That might have made the difference in the outcome of this game.

6. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Just got back from LA. Haven't had time to check the thread, but just wanted to say congrats to Alabama.

I can play the "what if" game all day about McCoy, but it doesnt matter now. I thought before the game Texas was the better team and would win, and I still think that based on yesterdays game. It just wasnt meant to be.

Hook em.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This is certainly not true when it comes to the computer rankings. None of the 6 computers take into account margin of victory.

I don't think Human voters see much of a difference in a 20 point win which I don't think it "running up the score" and a 35+.

Great heart by the longhorns battling back like that. It's pretty sad that Alabama let it get that close but their passing game was pretty inept against the longhorn D. It sucks the defense got stuck in those last 2 possessions with no room behind them.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Would it have made that big of a difference? It's not like they were going to play Colt only 2 quarters. Gilbert got in some games in garbage time, but nothing was going to prepare an 18 yr old kid for that stage.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Eh, true but given Texas' slow starts on offense this year I don't know how much more early garbage time he could have been getting; an extra series or two vs. UTEP or Kansas wasn't going to help much, and Mack's always had a pretty quick hook with McCoy in the 4th (unlike a recent Heisman winning QB...).

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

McElroy injured in SEC title game

PASADENA, Calif. -- Greg McElroy never had to leave the game. The Alabama junior never had to leave his team in the hands of an untested backup. But it turns out that Texas' Colt McCoy wasn't the only injured quarterback at the Rose Bowl on Thursday night.

Updated: January 8, 2010, 3:14 AM ET
    McElroy injured in SEC title game
    Comment Email Print Share
    By Ivan Maisel
    ESPN.com
    Archive

PASADENA, Calif. -- Greg McElroy never had to leave the game. The Alabama junior never had to leave his team in the hands of an untested backup. But it turns out that Texas' Colt McCoy wasn't the only injured quarterback at the Rose Bowl on Thursday night.

SEC blog

Low ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
    College Football Nation

"I cracked my ribs in the third quarter against Florida," McElroy said outside the locker room. "Two of them -- the ninth and the 10th. Left side. It's bad. I got it numbed up before the game and it was killing me at halftime."

McElroy did not look like the same quarterback who went 12-for-18 for 239 yards in the SEC championship game victory over the Gators. He completed 6-of-11 passes for 58 yards against the Longhorns and took five sacks. McElroy wore a flak jacket and an extra pad over his left ribcage for protection.

For about a week and half after Florida, I couldn't really throw at all," McElroy said. "As I came back, they started to loosen up a little bit ... It's been pretty painful, pretty consistent for the entire bowl practice."

One of McElroy's good friends, junior H-back Preston Dial, said he held his breath every time that McElroy got hit.

"It's like watching your little brother get hit," Dial said. "You're like, 'Get up! Get up! You're O.K.' He wasn't O.K. I know we've been on the couch playing Nintendo and he's coughed and he about went to his knees."

A spasm midway through his rehabilitation "jarred the bones loose again," McElroy said. "I'm just glad that we got through it and we were able to do it without taking too many significant hits on the ribs. But if I had a torn ACL, I'd play in this game. I would do whatever it took to be on the field. I just had to deal with a lot of pain."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4807296

1 person likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't get me wrong. I want him to succeed especially since he went to a highschool not too far from where I live. I just saw tunnel vision and have my concerns. I can tell this much, he has a better arm than Colt or Vince. The kid has a cannon for an arm.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

14. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Don't worry about the haters. Seriously, if anyone watched a single Texas football game over the past 4 years and honestly thinks Colt wouldn't be out there if he could, they are just blind and stupid. No point in responding to their bait posts either.

I just finished torturing myself and re-watched the game from last night when I got home from LA, and even though we lost, I am so happy I went.

The UT fans were great yesterday, noone left at halftime when it looked like all hope was lost. Lots of cheering for gilbert before he even completed a pass. I was even nice to the alabama fans in my section, impressed with myself.

#1474 mrdave543, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  15. RocketMania1991

Writers on Around the Horn just made a fool of themselves.

Declaring that Texas Defense got outplayed and that had Mcoy been in the game the result would of been the same.

I hope they realized Texas had more total yards than Alabama...

It's not Texas Defense fault that The QB does a shovel pass for a pick.+7 Points for Bama.
    It's not Texas Defense Fault for Gilbert getting lit up and fumbling on the goal line.+7 Points.
    It's not Texas Defense Fault for Gilbert throwing that Pick near Texas Inzone and giving the Tide a short field and then them running it in. +7 Points.

Thats a total of 21 points that could for the most part be all blamed on Texas Offense, and the result of a freshmen Quarterback.

Trying to rag on Texas Defense is ridiculous. They were on the field 8 more minutes than the Bama Defense and still held Bama to less yards.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Mack Brown should have gone to the 4 wide spread as soon as Gilbert played inorder to give him some confidence on those short routes. Too little too late, poor TU.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's exactly what you want...an 18 year old freshman backup QB throwing the ball right off the back in the National Championship game vs the #1 defense in the country.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Cohete Rojo-

Nice sig. the Rockets are 12-8 so far in that window. they have a chance to make it 14-8.

i love when people predict things on the Internet.

19. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but Bama started running a prevent offense after Colt went down, and that certainly needs to be taken into account.

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member