1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor University Sexual Assault Scandal Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brando2101, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

That is a good point, and I don't know what the current status is with the mega boosters. I just know that at events that Herman has made comments about dealing with large/overly influential boosters soured him at Ohio State and too a lesser degree at UT. He has spoken about how stressful it was for Meyer and Brown.

At the same time, he is very bright and may be saying that to deflect the questions about leaving for a top program.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Briles would have been at Texas if the boosters still had the amount of influence in Austin. That would have been a blessing in disguise. Smh

3. Buck Turgidson

Saw a blurb in the paper this morning that over 200 ex Penn St football players have signed a letter asking the school to re-erect the statue of Paterno.

4. sammy

5. sammy

One rumor out, one more still pending. Keeping KB is huge and him becoming the HC is still out there.

Edit: Smoak says now that smoke is legit and the situation is fluid. I wonder if this has anything to do with Briles wanting to be removed from the lawsuit(s) against him with Baylor. That was reported today

#105 sammy, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  6. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

That was about Stidham and not KB.

7. sammy

What do you mean?

Oh in response to someone asking him about Stidham. I just don't see why he would want to sit out a year only to play one season before going pro.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The bigger question is who else will come calling. In the last 3 years, UT, Michigan, PSU, Florida, USC (twice), Georgia, and Nebraska all opened up. All arguably (and few unarguable) top 10 programs which BU could be competing against the likes of. At that point, money and facilities are all equal if not worse. This does not include other programs like the Miamis, Virginia Techs, South Carolinas, and Wisconsins that will undoubtedly have Herman at the top of the list as well.

9. sammy

Stidham appears to be leaving. Oh well. Seth Russell has to stay healthy. Zach Smith is the projected starter as a true Sophomore next season

#109 sammy, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  10. Nook

Nook Member

At this point getting the administration/structure of the program figured out and on the same page is more important than keeping existing players.

They really need to get rid of the assistants left over from the Briles regime. Hire a strong head coach to limit any scandals and methodically rebuild the program. Someone like Butch Davis to keep the program a float for a few years while rebuilding the reputation of the school.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Talked to a friend last night who said Smith was doing well enough that he was threatening taking over the backup spot from Stidham. No idea if that's true or not..but it's from a guy who would know.

12. sammy

We need someone that's not going to re-invent the wheel. Baylor needs to keep the same offensive philosophy.

Herman
    Babers
    Philip Montgomery
    Kendall Briles
    Chad Morris
    Fedora
    Meacham
    Lincoln Riley
    Sterling Gilbert

at madmax.. That's great to hear. Zach Smith has the prototypical size and seems like a great kid. Owns a lot of Texas HS records if I'm not mistaken also

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

TCU's Sonny Cumbie would be my first call. Same conference with players that fit in his system. He might be able to bring some of TCU's recruits to Waco like Briles did. School has good facilities which is a plus. They just need to find the money to pay him which might be tough with the Briles settlement and any other lawsuits. He makes 1.2 million right now.

Really? I thought he just took a little less money than what was offered to pay his assistants more. I think a part of why he asked for what he asked for was so he could build in opt out clauses incase UH does not invest in the athletic facilities that they promised they would. I think he'll leave Houston if it's a strong career move. His past seems to suggest that he's moved schools 5 times in the last 10 years for promotions. I would also be shocked if he went to Baylor. I think a lot of the sought after coaches come in wanting to be controlling and schools are willing to give it to them if they seem like "The guy." Bribes was the same way as our a lot of schools.

Baylor didn't have much when Briles went there and Herman will bring recruits with him and might lure some of the previous 2017 recruits back. However, I don't think it's a question as to if Herman goes to Texas if the job is open. Not a single question. It would be the program that has the most young talent already enrolled, it'll pay great and it's a program with some good history. I feel like Strong will be here next year. I'm willing to give him some more slack just because of how well he has been recruiting. He just made some really bad calls with assistant coaches when he got here and constantly playing his freshman over Mack's upperclassman cost them wins. It'll hopefully pay off this year.

#113 Brando2101, Jul 7, 2016
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LULZ@Baylor! Something bad happens and it's that exact phrase.

[Insert Name] appears to be leaving. Oh well. [Insert Name] has upside! -- repeat every 24 hours.

I'm just having a little fun now, don't get too mad. My team sucks too.

1 person likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I think I posted about it before. The Regents expected to pay Herman quite a bit more than the amount he ultimately received. Fertitta is a big backer of Herman and was pivotal in getting an agreement reached. He expected the negotiations to last a lot longer than they did, and the amount agreed on was less than expected.

As far as getting out of his contract with UH, he can certainly get out of it, like most contracts. The investment in facilities was the a concern he vocalized, and has made comments to the effect that it will work if the administration and fan base are on board.

I don't know for sure that he would take the UT job, although I wouldn't bet against it. He is just very large on total control of the program. He has discussed the advantages of recruiting at schools he has coached at (UT & Ohio State) but always follows it up with comments about the difficulty sacrificing power and having to cater to overly involved benefactors.

One thing that is certain is that Herman is very bright and very manipulative. He very well may have figured out what to say and what not to say concerning his tenure at UH and will bolt to a top 5-10 school immediately if offered the job.

Regardless, he is a very interesting man. I have seen him charm people, manipulate the media into reporting on the program the way he wants depicted, and he has certain "pet" people that he has forged close relationships with that hold a lot of sway in the local media in Houston, the political landscape in Houston and even celebrities that are influential with recruits. He follows popular culture closely and literally seems to be working 24 hours a day. He is at numerous social events quite often.

16. sammy

Zach Smith is listed at 6'4", 220 lbs already and will only get into better shape with Coach Kaz. With Mond heading to A&M, he was locked in as a 2 year starter. That's changed to 3. This 2016 team won't suck. No way Stidham transfers if he was the starter this season. This changes our depth and nothing else for this upcoming season.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1923110/5721e94090eead5d90eeabd1

Looks like a Baylor QB if you ask me!

#116 sammy, Jul 7, 2016
  17. sammy

Baylor lost 2 defensive recruits. Very good ones in Cobb and Bowen. Those guys won't be replaced.

The offense has a decent amount of weapons still and will still put up 50-60 points a game like clockwork. The defensive line is worrisome.

Edit: I'll add that when you can run the ball like Baylor does you can overcome a lot. Shock Linwood, Johnny Jefferson (2 years left), Terrance Williams (3 years left). All studs in our system. We beat a top 10 team in UNC and a potential playoff team heading into the last week of the season by running the ball and no QB.

#117 sammy, Jul 7, 2016
  18. sammy

Good luck to Jarrett. It is official now. I wonder who gets him for one season after he sits out 2016.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Not cleaning house leaves somewhat of a black cloud over the program, whether justified or not. But this is also a pretty risky move on BU's part. If anything pops up that implicates KB, Bennett, or anyone else still on the payroll, BU will be right back in the spotlight as public enemy #1. Not saying it will happen but just something that remains by not getting rid of of everyone. And really it's just delaying in inevitable in hopes of salvaging the upcoming season.

20. sammy

We probably would have had to cancel the season if they fired everyone this late in the game. Who the hell would we have gotten? Every player would have transferred out. The truth is Baylor didn't have to fire Art. They did the right thing. Most universities wouldn't have if they had the success Art has had. He took arguably the worst P5 program and turned them into playoff contenders.

Also hearing that Stidham transferring has more to do with backing up Russ than anything. He shouldn't have came to Baylor if he wanted it easy. I guess he thought he would beat out Russ. Nope.

#120 sammy, Jul 7, 2016