1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor University Sexual Assault Scandal Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brando2101, Jun 13, 2016.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ashley Hodge:
    Don't shoot the messenger but it appears as of today that Stidham is going to enroll at MCC and not play football this season. It sounded like the decision had been made as of this morning. Baylor is down to two scholarship QBs (Seth Russell and Zach Smith) if this comes to fruition. Great opportunity for Zach Smith to get reps this year and have a nice 3 year run after that.

I know there are influential Baylor folks trying to talk him out of this. The move would allow Stidham to transfer to the school of his choice next season and basically take this season as a "redshirt" year.

Would like to be wrong on this but I consider it solid intel.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ashley Hodge is constantly wrong.. the most recently being on Hudson leaning Baylor.

When there is smoke... so I do think this will happen. Let's see what Zach Smith has now..

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya he has. Believe he was just shooting down the same rumor yesterday so we shall see.

4. sammy

He sure was and if this rumor becomes a reality so does KB leaving town before the season. In that case, we would need to offer a HC 6 M a year to get this sinking ship back upright. I say offer 7 to Herman and make him say no.

5. sammy

I can see why 80-90% of Baylor fans absolutely hate Baylor's board. What they did has cost the university hundreds of millions of dollars. This will take a lot longer than I thought. All they had to do was promote KB to HC if they really wanted to fire Art.

They chose to bring in an old fart who's doing God knows what

6. sammy

Sorry for me venting but Baylor's administration has only looked out for themselves. This isn't about giving the victims justice. If that was the case, they would have fired the entire staff both in football or anyone near the cases immediately. At this point, I don't even know what it was about. I do know that the fan base is suffering. Baylor didn't have to take a shotgun and shoot themselves in the face like they have.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Don't even bother..... there is no way that Herman walks into the Baylor mess. It would be professional suicide and he is known to have a real dislike for overly involved rich alums.

Baylor may need to slowly rebuild for a few years before attempting to reel in a big name coach.

As for Herman, the Texas job would be one I am sure he would weigh greatly... but when it has been brought up at events he always discusses the distaste he had at Ohio State seeing how high donor alums were involved in making decisions that they shouldn't have had a say in.

8. sammy

I shouldn't have even mentioned it. Sorry

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm glad you did. I love reading hyperbolic statements like "professional suicide" to go to Baylor. Idiotic.

10. Nook

Nook Member

They thought that they could make some cosmetic changes, fire the coach (for a year or maybe forever) and keep their recruits and it would be football as usual..... it doesn't work that way. They have kept this in the media longer by not being decisive and getting it out of the media.

Also, hiring the SON of the head coach that you just fired in disgrace for allegations of protecting multiple players charged with rape? That isn't a good look for the university either. They should have fired the entire coaching staff, Ken Starr and hired an new staff.... try to get the kids to stay, and in a few years go get another coach with better credentials.

Instead there are leaks from angry parents.... players wanting out...... alleged rape victims speaking out....... Art Briles making it very clear he is angry but not discussing it...... Ken Starr not taking accoutability..... and wealthy alums openly saying they want Art Briles back!

11. Nook

Nook Member

Let me ask you this.

How well do you think that the Baylor football program will be doing in 2-3 years? Do you think that a highly in demand young coach will want to walk into the situation that Baylor is in right now?

There are only a few high level coaching jobs in college football, and they do not become available very often.... and Herman has put himself in a position to get one of those jobs in the next year or two if he wants to do that.

So explain to me how taking a job at Baylor (of any other school with the issues Baylor has right now) advances his cause in any way?

It doesn't in anyway.

12. sammy

Tbh, I would feel terrible for UH fans because recruits would come with him. I wouldn't wish what I've been feeling since this scandal hit the fan on anyone.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Herman is a tough one to figure out. He is the 29th highest paid coach after his raise and that assumes that no other coaches on this list also got raises since it came out. He was 61st before the raise. I think his chances of staying in Houston would be considerably higher if the playoffs expanded to 8 teams and they could give him a bigger raise. He doesn't seem like guy that's in it for the money but an extra 5 million over the life of a contract is hard for anyone to ignore.

I'm curious to see if he leaves for a job that isn't UT or A&M if it appears that those coaches have turned things around.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have no idea what the program will look like in 2-3 years. Neither do you. I know they will not reach the depths of the late 90s/00s due to the money that has flowed into the program along with the new state of the art facilities and one of the best new stadiums in the country.

It may not advance his career and he may not go for that reason, but to call it professional suicide is indeed hyperbolic.

15. sammy

Maybe, Herman is as stand up as most UH fans think, which makes him that more desirable. We don't have the official number on Briles but it has been reported that he made 6 MM after bonuses this past season. Only the base of 4.2 MM roughly gets reported.

So the question is will Herman turn down a 5 year, $30 MM deal if offered. What if Baylor panics (like they have done) and offers him 5 years, $35 MM. Money talks more times than not.

Money, facilities, Texas program, P5...this is a step up from a lot of schools and a step up from UH even in the state that we are (not a diss, just reality).

16. Nook

Nook Member

If Herman leaves it would certainly be a big blow to the UH program. They are better equipped for him leaving than win Briles left. However there is no denying it would hurt the morale of the program.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The odd thing about Herman is that he told the board how much he wanted, and got it. They expected him to ask for more and he didn't. The only other thing he asked for was a donation to the school. UH won't win a bidding war against schools like UT or USC. However, they have more money to offer than what he is getting paid right now. Most people are motivated greatly by money, however thus far he really hasn't pushed the issue. I personally think he is more likely to stay the longer he is in Houston. He has young kids in school and has become really involved in local politics and social events.

As for Baylor, if there wasn't a black cloud over the school right now, then it would be possible, it is a school with big pockets and in a competitive conference. However, he can get a large pay day going to another big school without the issues facing Baylor. That is a real risk. I would be shocked if he went to Baylor.

Ohio State or USC were two places that I thought he would possibly consider other than UT. I am not even sure about A&M. However those jobs almost never open up. The one that I would say is 50/50 is UT. He has grumbled about the politics involved at powerhouse schools, but UT is a sleeping giant and would be a place that he could coach for a long time. One thing to consider with Herman is that he is very very controlling. He controls the image of his program, what the media can and cannot say and currently has complete control of a program at every level. He wouldn't have that at most powerhouse schools.

18. Nook

Nook Member

You have to look at it from the other side... if you are Herman, and you are going to leave (possible), you will get a substantial bump in pay where ever you end up... because you are only leaving for a far better job. So why go to Baylor in the current situation? I suppose he could panic and think he will not get a high profile offer in the next year or two; but that isn't likely... it is fairly likely that he will get serious consideration at a top 10-15 program over the next year or two, and get a big pile of money.

The facilities are much improved at UH and they are continuing to improve them, so that isn't as big a selling point as a few years ago; although I do agree that the facilities at Baylor are top notch.

Baylor is in a far better conference. Herman at booster get togethers has several times said that with the playoff structure he isn't worried about the conference. He is a very smart man, but I don't buy that. He cannot expect to go undefeated, and that is what he would need to have any real shot at the playoff.

19. Buck Turgidson

The big time influence of the UT mega boosters will be interesting to follow in the upcoming years. There's been some culture shift, already they don't have the pull they did 10 years ago. The old-guard guys who used to be the most involved like Rankin, Moncrief, McCombs, Jamail, Myers, Denius, Moffat are either in their 80's or deceased.

20. sammy

The current situation could be worse believe it or not. NCAA sanctions don't seem like they're coming. The Big 12 has become more confident as a conference (more stable for sure) and there are pieces to work with. We will see how many athletes transfer. This likely gets worse bc as is.. It's not that bad which is a testament of how much talent Briles was able to bring in.

Stidham has wanted to transfer even before the scandal. A stud like him doesn't want to sit for 2 years before getting the keys to the car. If he does transfer, all eyes will shift to Kendall Briles