1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor University Sexual Assault Scandal Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brando2101, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Interesting to note how Baylor's stance with the recruits has done a 180 since the Big 12 threatened them with a stern warning. All of a sudden, Baylor is being transparent as they can be.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Where are you reading this?

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

4. sammy

We're not any more or less transparent. That's the interesting part. I said this right away and I was right. The big 12's reply was an attempt to strong arm Baylor into doing the "right thing." I hope every program is held to this standard. :p

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Any more or less to the general public? Yes you are right. But any more or less to Bowlsby or the rest of the presidents? That we don't know.

If it was just an attempt to strong arm BU, then hats off to Bowlsby as it worked beautifully. And yes every program should be held to this standard.

6. Buck Turgidson

Or maybe it was since the Big12 made them do unprecedented document dump/compliance and it has really nothing to do with a handful of HS kids?

But that would be too simple, better to live the conspiracy!!!

7. sammy

Hey if gucci is right and we provided more information that was given to the public, I'll concede.

8. sammy

Rumors are going around that Stidham may be transferring. I've remained hopeful that he would bridge the gap and lift the program even for a year after Russell goes to the NFL. That would be a crushing blow which is saying a lot after everything that has happened.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

And that Kendall is leaving.

10. sammy

What a time to be alive. We would see a mass exodus of players leaving and recovery would be set back another number of years if this were to happen. We would have given ourselves some harsh sanctions.

11. sammy

I was largely off base on the firing of Art Briles but I do see KB coaching out this season. A lot of rumors are predicated off of his house being sold. Well guess what.. Lebby's house has been also sold aka contracts are in place. That screams that Baylor has bought the houses as a part of an agreement with Art Briles. Waco's market ain't this hot. Lol

I also will admit the rumors on Stidham don't seem very definite or credible. No news is good news I suppose. Fml

Edit: Stidham was supposedly at practice this morning. Could be butt hurt Tech fans stirring up ish

#71 sammy, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You underestimate Chip and JoJo.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I ran into Kendal Briles at a 4th of July party on Sunday at Horseshoe Bay.

I can't imagine he'll stay...

14. rage

rage Member

You ran into Briles meaning you talked to him or did you run him over with your car?
    If neither, what does it have to do with the conversation?

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That sucks. It could mean that he could potentially play 3 more years instead of two if he starts at whatever school he transfers to after sitting down a year. He might have been on the fence going and then the scandal went down. I wonder if there will be pressure for Baylor to transfer to a big 12 team. I don't think I would feel that strongly if they didn't. It's really not the same at all as voiding the freshman commits.

EDIT: looks like there is no credible source. At what point does a player have to transfer in order to not lose a year of eligibility? I'm guess the August fall semester and not the summer? There is 0 chance he is transferring if it means 2017 won't count for his sitting out year after getting to a new school.

#75 Brando2101, Jul 5, 2016
  16. sammy

The rumors seem to be nothing more than just that. He supposedly attended practice today after flying back from Cali with his gf who happens to be Tad Brown's daughter (BU soccer player).

17. sammy

Texxx is name dropping lol. No way KB talks to some stranger about his plans. If rumors are to be believed.. then it's worth mentioning that KB will get a look as the new HC. Baylor will rebound a lot more quickly if KB has a good season and is promoted. It's the most logical thing to me although 80% of Baylor fans don't think it will happen. They also think that he wouldn't even accept it which I still find very hard to believe. Money talks. I hope I'm not terribly wrong but nothing seems to be surprising these days.

#77 sammy, Jul 5, 2016
  18. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Apparently Kendal is not amused at the rumor that he is leaving before the season.

19. sammy

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The difference is that the claim that Tenn "created a… culture that enables sexual assault" was said by the people suing Tennessee and not an independent body like Pepper Hamilton. The difference between Tenn and Baylor is that the latter hired a 3rd party to do an investigation of their program and their findings and conclusions are what led to the massive changes at Baylor. Baylor should be commended for deciding themselves to hire an outside firm to investigate all of these matters fully.

I know what you are saying about not enough is being done against Tennessee like it was for Baylor. However, the point I kept making is no one was calling for changes at Baylor either despite the incidents that would come up. It's the Pepper-Hamilton report that changed everything.

Having an outside investigation from that kind of firm should be common practice with these institutional problems or else nothing is going to get done. It was good to see Baylor's regents clean up their program themselves.