1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor University Sexual Assault Scandal Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brando2101, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It means I found the answer to be inane.

2. Buck Turgidson

Does this mean Nike won't be providing obnoxious uniforms anymore?

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

This is actually a very good question. I'm surprised corporations haven't abandoned ship already. They often do for a lot less.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is the perfect thing to say if you want everyone to hate you and to also undermine your footing in civil court.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.

They just don't get it.

The Briles situation wasn't caused by one or two people looking the other way; it is systemic.

The way Baylor has handled this has been terrible.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I didn't read the article. Did they say this publicly in a press release sort of context...or was it what their lawyers put in their pleadings?

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Showtime aired a new documentary about the Baylor Shooting called, "Disgraced." Different scandal but I thought it was worth posting.

Also, CNN has a good show about different crimes in US history and one of them is about the Waco Branch Davidians siege from the 90s. The city doesn't get a lot of positive pub.

The Texas legislature is also raking Baylor of the coals but it remains to be seen if they'll pass any legislation related to college rape. They were heavily pushing for Baylor to be subject to open records requests. They also hammered Baylor over the reasoning behind having Pepper Hamilton doing an oral presentation of their investigation instead of written. The legislature has a history of being straight forward with a "cut the bullshit" approach.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/0...-call-transparency-baylor-after-rape-scandal/

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

From the article:

Stating in a motion that "as a general rule, universities do not have a legal duty to protect their students from harm caused by other students," Baylor University is seeking to dismiss the Title IX lawsuit that claims 31 football players committed 52 rapes between 2011 and 2014.

9. MadMax

Gotcha. I recognize that seems unsavory (to say the least) from a public relations standpoint. But in a pleading, that seems wholly appropriate. It's a defense. Lawyers are paid to make those defenses. It would be nothing short of malpractice for them to fail to assert that.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The issue doesn't reside with the legal counsel, they have an obligation to assert every defense that is potentially applicable.

The issue resides more with the policy makers at Baylor. I would assume or hope they are doing what they can to get the cases settled.

The negative press attention for the university (this isn't about just football anymore) is going to have severe long term consequences.

11. MadMax

I would hope they are too. In the meantime, there are deadlines to respond to pleadings, and you throw out all the defenses you can in those responses.

12. Buck Turgidson

Those definitely seem pertinent to this situation.

13. Brando2101

It's a culture issue.

14. Buck Turgidson

You're going to have to connect the dots for me, the many dots over many years, to get from David Koresh to Art Briles.

15. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Brando2101

That's fair. I guess it was more of a piggy back off the news of the Baylor Basketball Murder Case documentary which is relevant in that it's a previous example of a major crime at the university. Just about every article about the release of the documentary mentioned the current scandal in some fashion so I'm not the only one who thinks there is some reason to link the mentioning of them.

Koresh story is just a ****ed up thing that also happened in Waco that has a good documentary if anyone is interested but not really connected to what is going on at Baylor. The only reason I bought it up was after I saw the news about this new doc. Forgive me if I've derailed the thread.

17. Buck Turgidson

Derail it? Hell, you're improving it.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that's what makes this scandal so upsetting to me. Waco's been through a lot and the city was finally turning around its image while turning into a neat little college town.

Also, let us not forget the biker shootout at Twin Peaks! And bigtexxx grew up in the area. Maybe it's just a doomed city.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ye, city sucks, get rid of it. College Station too. No bias here. They all suck. At least CS doesn't rape as much, but Cosby showed up there too so who knows.

20. Buck Turgidson

Just leave the kolache shops in West alone.

Hustle Town likes this.