1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Would be unbelievable. (maybe we can golf that Friday if I go to game...will most likely head to Sun City after)

2. Major

Major Member

Sounds good!

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I hate to be the party pooper, but Baylor is still unproven. Haven't played anybody yet.

4. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I didn't know Stanford beat Washington twice..

They might have those wins but they have a loss to freaking UNRANKED Utah!! While the Bears are sitting at 7-0 with a great chance to increase their computer ranked with the tough part of their schedule with a ranked OU,Texas Tech, OSU, and possibly ranked UT in coming up..

Anyways onto to the OU game..

The AD said its close to selling out, he said that they are going to make a decision on whether to pull the tarp on Friday or Monday morning at the latest, it depends on how many tickets that the students pull early(starts Thursday)

Im really thinking the tarp is gone for the OU Game. If you are coming for the OU Game, PLEASE wear black!

[​IMG]

#EveryoneinBlack #BlackoutOU

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I meant they beat #23 Arizona State. That's 4 wins against ranked opponents.

If you scheduled 10 division 2 teams and were undefeated it wouldn't mean you were the best team in the country. Wins matter. There are over 95 teams with harder schedules then Baylor. If you think that a lot of other teams would not be undefeated with Baylor's schedule then you are kidding yourself. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Iowa St, and West Virginia were the only Big 12 teams to schedule non-conference games against a team from the other 4 conferences / Notre Dame. There needs to be conference rules requiring schools to schedule decent programs and restricting the number of division 2 teams that can be scheduled in a 5 year span.

It doesn't really matter. They finally start to play decent teams. If they win then they win but it is extremely homer logic to complain that they are not ranked higher. Just win.

#65 Brando2101, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^Bro bro. A lot of teams might be undefeated but would they be spanking teams like this? No.

What happens when and if we beat everyone in the conference? People will say the Big 12 is weak, yada, yada, yada.

Get your excuses ready.

7. Brando2101

All props to them if they sweep the conference.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

well that would be somewhat impressive, but you have to admit the Big XII is down this year. Oklahoma got spanked by UT-Austin branch, who got whipped by the likes of BYU and Ole Miss. Not the best year.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I would guess a 1 loss Stanford, Oregon, or FSU gets to the title game before undefeated Baylor.

10. Brando2101

I want to agree about the big 12 based on casual observation but sagarin still has it as the 3rd best conference which is how I usually base my conference opinions. That being said the big 12 is usually number 2 every other year.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not having a Big 12 title game hurts Baylor's chances but beating three ranked opponents in a row would make us jump a 1 loss Oregon or FSU team as someone else previously mentioned. Maybe not Stanford because they beat Oregon in your scenerio.

This wouldn't be an issue next year. Ugh.

Anyway, all we can do is take care of our bidness.

I guess 4 out of the 10 Big 12 teams being ranked (2 in the top 10 last Sat) means the conference is having a down year. Winning out in the Big 12 would be "somewhat impressive." Yeah okay. You don't like Baylor or any other Texas schools besides the dominant Rice program. We get it. Texxx has a lot of quote worthy comments in that realignment thread.

#71 sammy, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  12. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone anywhere really believes any of the ranked Big12 teams are any good, outside of Baylor. They are all ranked because they haven't played anyone at this point. The whole Big12 schedule is bizarre. There are 5 terrible Big12 teams (WVU, TCU, Kansas, KState, ISU). Those team are a combined 3-19 in the conference and will only beat each other. But the 3 wins show that none of them have played each other so far. The top 5 teams (Baylor, Texas, Tech, OU, OSU) are a combined 19-3.

Basically, there are two tiers in the Big 12, and so far, they've really only played all the teams in the other tier by fluke chance. The 5 good teams have only played a total of 3 games against each other so far. That all changes soon, but right now, the five good teams have a combined 2 wins over ranked teams for the entire season. One of those was Texas over OU, and they aren't even ranked. So the 4 ranked Big12 teams have 1 total win over ranked opponents - and that was last week's OU win over Tech.

I think Baylor's great this year, but the Big12 is clearly having the worst season in its history. There is 1 good QB in the entire league (at Baylor). The league has Baylor, 4 mediocre teams, and 5 terrible ones.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You're probably right...which is why I said I'm not allowing myself to even think about BU in the title game. Just enjoying the ride. They're a helluva lot of fun to watch...and it doesn't seem that long ago that they were damn near unwatchable.

14. Major

Major Member

An undefeated Baylor will go above ANY one-loss team, SEC included. But they are almost definitely at the bottom of the totem poll if there are 3 or more undefeated teams - with the possible exception of Ohio State. Baylor would likely be ranked above OSU in the computers, but the pollsters may want to reward OSU for having won 24 straight games or whatever they would be at so it's hard to say how that plays out.

Basically, Baylor needs two out of Oregon, FSU, and the SEC team to lose to have a shot. Stanford is irrelevant.

15. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Lol calm down. Baylor hasn't played anyone yet. While they are good, they belong grouped with the other 4 teams under them. OU/Texas/TTU/@OSU are not easy wins for baylor. If K-state had a shot against baylor going into the 4th, so will those 4 teams.

16. Major

Major Member

That's certainly possible - but Baylor does have the potential to be great. We know the other 4 are mediocre.

17. Major

Major Member

FWIW, Baylor is currently favored by 12 against OU and 21.5 (!) against Texas. Vegas isn't necessarily right, but it does say that the general public thinks Baylor's in a different class than those teams. No lines against Tech or OSU that I can see.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am excited for Baylor. I hope they go undefeated and play Alabama or Oregon, whoever is still standing. I am thinking Auburn might knock off the Tide.

19. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I'll agree that WVU, TCU, and Kansas are terrible, but the latter two are underrated in my eyes.

Kansas State hasn't lost by more than 10 point, was without their best 2 receivers in most of those losses, and took a little while to find their offensive identity. I'd say they're an mid range team right now when healthy. ISU is closer to being a full blown terrible team, but you could argue that officials dictated the outcome for 3 of their conference losses (UT, TTU, & OST).

I think they're a great team. They haven't had a chance to prove it against ranked foes, but that doesn't mean they aren't already there as a team. I assume that if they blow out OU, everyone will just say OU was overrated. If anyone is overrated, it's Oregon, who's had an equally soft schedule while only Baylor get's docked significantly for it.

Whatever... Can't wait for Thursday's games!

20. Brando2101

Be real. Oregon and Baylor do not both play equally soft schedules. According to Sagarin, Oregon has the 62nd ranked SOS and Baylor is at 93. Oregon has also played a 6-2 UCLA in conference. They also played teams from the SEC and ACC. Although they weren't great this year, they still could have been. They didn't schedule awful awful teams (except Nicholls). If baylor beats Texas then I will root for them in the championship game but if the computers keep them out I'll be perfectly content. Stop scheduling trash non-conferece games. Tech and Baylor are the worst at that.

I don't think people will play down OU if Baylor beats them. I think people will take Baylor seriously and they could jump Ohio St in the human polls. I don't think most people have seen Baylor play but they will be watching on Thursday. They should come up in the computers as well. It's crazy how Florida St is ranked 3rd with humans but they have all but 1 computer putting them at the top.