1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Because we're worthy, damnit!:cool:

I'm more optimistic about this season than I've ever been in the past. We have more talent at receiver than ever before, which is scary in itself. Beyond that, our defense is poised to come back even stronger than they were when trouncing UCLA at the end of last season.

Here's a nice article from the Waco Trib summing up the offseason.
    Sic 'Em!

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think this could end up being a better season than the year when RG3 won the Heisman. Briles is an offensive guru with more talent that he has ever had before.

Seastrunk is gonna beast. Tevin Reese reminds me of Tavon Austin and will be playing on Sundays next year. Bryce Petty looks like Tebow but has a better arm. :cool:

Edit: It's going to be interesting to see a 6'9" defensive end :eek:

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Need to go grab a funnel cake at Floyd Casey one last time.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Yea, it should be interesting to see how Shawn Oakman does. I've been waiting to get a look at his game since hearing about the Penn St transfer.

The true freshman on the D-Line, Andrew Billings, is exciting as well. During the spring, he broke THE Mark Henry's high-school squat/bench/lift combined total, becoming the 3rd Texas highschooler to lift over 2k lbs. 805 on the squat, 500 on the benchpress, and 705 on the deadlift :eek::eek::eek:

All this the coaches knew coming in, but they were surprised that he ended up being more agile than they would have imagined. Can't wait!

5. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Turn Up Bears, ranked #23 in the new AP poll

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/

Highlights from our 69-3 shellacking of Wofford..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zLKocW01hjM?list=UUt1Z0nJWuI6KDozeflRvRWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally, heres a BU commit KD Cannon from Mt Pleasant, TX making a ridiculous catch on Friday

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RrajdXr7OuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. sammy

Arrow is pointing up.

Let's see where they're ranked at 7-0 and about to host OU :cool:

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Holy crap that would be awesome. Sic 'Em

8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I honestly think it has a very good chance of happening, the only team I was worried about was going to be when we play @K State on October 12, but after seeing them play Im not really concerned, such an exciting time to be a BU Football fan

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I thought it was very doable even before K State & Iowa lost to FCS schools. Now I'm upset they diminished the quality of a win over them.

Still can't sleep on them. The team K State lost to is no joke, and a much better squad than Wofford. Too much focus on them losing to NDSU can quickly land you in a trap game type situation.

Also, even though it was Wofford, I think our defense proved they aren't far from where they left off last year.

10. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Another steamrolling of a lesser team. :)

Briles is going to get calls from USC & Texas. Here's to hoping he'd rather continue creating something special in Waco.

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

No way he doesn't open up the new stadium with us.

Theres no one in the country that comes close to our offense

12. sammy

Texas would be a good fit but I think they are too arrogant to go after a BU coach.

I can't see Briles leaving his Texas roots to go to LA.

We have to pay this man whatever he wants.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think he's smart enough to know that his advantage is recruiting in Texas. I could see him leaving for Texas..but I don't think Texas would want him. But I can't imagine him leaving for USC, because I'm not sure he'd be there what he is with all his inroads here amongst high school coaches.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Agreeed. USC does seem like a stretch, and Brile is more rooted in Texas than just about anyone else in the business. Texas worries me, but tmac2therack's confidence that he will christen the stadium with us is reasonable & gives me hope.

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Briles is a great coach and Baylor has built a nice program over the past few years.

1 person likes this.
  16. sammy

I know it's survivor of the fittest but one thing I haven't considered is the notion that Texas wouldn't want to screw over Baylor. They were fine with taking TCU's coach bc they are a new-comer. I think Baylor and UT are a lot closer than most people think.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In honor of ULM and <a href="https://twitter.com/Duck_Commander">@Duck_Commander</a> visiting Waco on Saturday, we present <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BearDynasty&amp;src=hash">#BearDynasty</a>. <a href="http://t.co/imcmj7Qd7e">pic.twitter.com/imcmj7Qd7e</a></p>&mdash; Baylor Football (@BUFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/BUFootball/statuses/380368172366307329">September 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

^^LOL, that's awesome.

Also, this is over a week old now, but it's telling if you ask me:
    "We learned a lot from these last two weeks. I felt good about last week's game against Ohio State, but this week we weren't even close to the way I felt we would hold up against Baylor. They are deserving to be in the top five right now in my opinion." -Buffalo Head Coach, Jeff Quinn

This is an experienced coach, and one of the few who has seen 2 ranked teams already. It's clear he see's Baylor as a legit contender.

Really looking forward to the ULM game, but another layoff afterwards is just frustrating :mad:

19. sammy

^It all comes down to the defense.

They can run the table if their D is average to slightly above average.

20. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Absolutely. I'm fairly convinced that the defense will be just that though. Phil Bennett finally has a full group of players recruited for his "bend but don't break" 4-2-5 style. A lot of people don't appreciate how difficult it is to play defense opposite of our quick scoring offense. Eagles fans will attest to that before the year is over. Honestly, I'm surprised more teams aren't adopting a similar scheme to combat spread offenses.

We match up well with TTU & TCU. The road to our first Big 12 title goes through the state of Oklahoma.