1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[basketballholic] Brandon Knight is a good defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

This guy gets picked on a lot :confused:

2. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Basketballholic is an alcoholic..

3. basketballholic

Look, PJ went from like +8 per 100 possessions on-off at Toronto to -0.6 on-off at Phoenix. Knight was playing with Dudley, Booker, Barbosa, Len, and PJ. The unit was bad. Bad environment. Set up to lose. They wanted and needed to lose. You can't red anything into that.

Watch the games!

Analytics have their limits. CONTEXT limits what analytics means.

Watch the games!

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I DONT KNOW WHAT IM YELLING ABOUT

5. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

But seriously guys, what would morey do? (WWMD) @Os Trigonum make this a thing when people fight

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Chamillionaire

Your best post.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This jives with your sentiment:

I like how he fights around picks and extends as the ball goes up. He doesn't seem to block anything in the highlights, but he alters shots for sure with his length/timing. How's he going to defend post ACL surgery? That seems to be up in the air, but I definitely like what I see.

Anybody have any feelings about ACL recovery and post surgery effects?

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lmao

I watch the games, and think most of what you say is complete and utter crap.

Learn to use math!

It’s your friend, and it’s extremely useful, especially when you think you have a point but can’t actually prove it.

Learn why the stats are making assumptions that aren’t true! Learn why the math is wrong, and explain why, so you can actually prove something you say in a systemic way.

Learn to use basic statistics!

Then watching the games will actually yield decent insight, instead of post.

topfive likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In these times nearly everyone can come out as a good defender if they defend well over a stretch of games.

Consistency is what makes someone a good defender.

Tired of defending newcomers just because the Rox decided to trade a huge contract in Anderson for some formerly decent dude.

Those players come and go.

10. don grahamleone

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you think he's a good defender or not?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Not as bad a defender as the stats show and not as good a
    defender as some would like Brandon Knight to be. I see Knight as adequate.....like most NBA players, token
    defense is performed through quarters 1-3, then turn up the screws in the fourth quarter.

Kinda like when accusing Pro Wrestlers as being scripted and pulling punches.......then they kick your a**
    while saying, “does this feel fake?” “Does that punch feel like I’m pulling my punches?”

Knight could probably lock down any of Clutchfaners if confronted......but adequate during NBA games.
    82 game marathon plus some playoff games.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not matter, but yeah from the bottom of mah heart, he is no defender at all. But he can sure try and get better.

That is depending on our overall D, I think it might be inconsistent in the beginning.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What I meant was, he is likely to be insignificant, why bother worrying about his D or not.

If he contributes positively, I would be surprised and then I start rooting for him.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. don grahamleone

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this opinion off of?

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I've been doing this a long time... I just don't think you are properly interpreting the information. Bottom line is out of the last 24 5 man groups BK has a negative on/off in 22 of them. Also when you compare the on/off of his teammates they are better almost across the board for his last 4 years of play. Analyzing games cannot obfuscate these facts. It's simple really, his on court other 4 should show roughly equivalent bad play but they don't. BK is unfortunately the outlier in almost all cases.

All that said the Rockets can do some things to help. No doubt they will continue to employ their various switching methods and they will try to pair him up with PJ (and probably CP) whenever possible.

It's too bad Bzdelik retired - he could have probably been impactful with BK. The Rockets staff was very good last year in getting the most out of players. Since Anderson was a known quantity whereas BK and MC we only have previous performance I think the Rockets gambled there is at least a chance here that one or both could contribute under the right circumstances.

16. BackdoorHarden

Wow. Now we know why Morey traded for Knight. Yup. Now I feel so much better, especially when our house expert was so accurate on Clint C.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

18. BackdoorHarden

When asked about his predication on Clint's skillset, Basketballholic gave Clutchfans.com this
    r****dTORT:

[​IMG]

Elephant810 likes this.
  19. basketballholic

I've been doing this a long time. I just don't think you watch the players play the live games. Nor do I think you understand context.

20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Gee, I think my player predictions on this forum over the last 19 years have been generally accurate. Out of maybe 75 players I've commented on I've only missed on maybe 3 of them statistically. I think BK will play less than 65 games and his overall stats will improve slightly. I think the team +/- with him on the floor not paired with at least 2 potential switch targets will be -3.5 or more and predict even then he will have a negative impact over an average replacement player (defensively).

If BK has some sort of defensive epiphany we all will be very happy. I will root for him every game to succeed and be ecstatic when he does.

Mathloom likes this.