1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[basketballholic] Brandon Knight is a good defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Why do you hate him so much dude?

Invisible Fan and hakeem94 like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

it's not bad enough that we get threads started over the comments of some random talking head in the media.... now we're gonna do it on the comments of some random poster on the website....?
    great.... smh...

Nook likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is not some random poster, he is very knowlegeable and ready to take stance against the grain or against what is widely accepted...sure some of his takes are 'crazy' or seem crazy or he appears stubborn but this is a characteristic of all great thinkers or even people in general....

i am very interested to learn about Brandon and he comes with the reputation of a bad defender, but Eric Gordon came here with the same reputation and he quickly proved it wrong...

that is why i was interested to hear from holic on this subject and to hear the best arguments of his opponents as devil advocates

i dont know why ppl complain that this thread is redundant when this topic hasnt been given due attention and was buried under 100s of melo threads

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Knight is cursed now. Let’s make sue Holocene hates everyone else on the team

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

An Asian news source quoted Mcgrady saying he doesn’t think we’re going to make the conference finals and we’re here picking on ‘holic?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree wholeheartedly. We just banned a new guy for showing up and somehow making every thread about himself, then for actually creating a thread specifically about himself.

No need to start threads just to point out how wrong someone is, especially when that person gives you the opportunity to do that in almost every thread anyway.

#26 topfive, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Disguised"?

Slurp slurp.

BasketballMind likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

great... i'm glad you are enamored with 'holic... i'm sure he'd love for you to subscribe to his newsletter or whatever so you can fully immerse yourself in all that is 'holic...

Personally, I would rather not have the board buried beneath threads of unsubstantiated claims by random posters... that extends to not only 'holic but in general... still waiting on that 'crow' that Plow promised to serve up... lol

if somebody wants to invest the time to pontificate on a subject and supply some data to support their viewpoint - great, more power to them...

No disrespect to you, but if you're not even going to take the time to supply a direct quote - and be void of any statistical information - is it worth starting a new thread over?

...jus sayin...

PS: I wouldnt call it redundant - cause nobody else is saying knight is a good defender - lol...

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is not even the craziest thing..... he makes those long lists of Free agents and if a FA signs with us, he says he knew it all.

The same with trade targets.

Anyone could just do that.

YOLO, kjayp and fckbandwagons like this.
  10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's comedic value. Anyone who takes anything he says seriously deserves to be trolled.

MorningZippo, Mathloom, kjayp and 3 others like this.
  11. seeingred

seeingred Member

Go for it.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Never before has a ClutchFans moniker so perfectly matched that member's comments. Props to you, JK!

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

My point was I wouldn’t make a thread about it tough guy.
    I’m assuming you’re the one who thinks Wizards are desperately trying to dump Otto? Hopefully you’re not someone whose gone as far as to post that a Ryno package for Otto would be good for the Wizards. But that goes to another point of mine. I don’t care enough to look through users past posts and make a whole discussion about it. It’s in the moment posting and arguing for discussion purpose. Not singling people out and making them the discussion.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no, hardly anyone in the world can do what bbholic does...show some respect buddy

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seeing you in bed with him is tough.

Respect has to be earned, he'll show up.

Dun mind him as long as he keeps the courteous distance.

16. basketballholic

This and the DJ dunk have unjustly maligned Knight with surface fans that don't study the actual game video to have a understanding of the context of Knights career. And those two things, defensive on-off stats, and highlight plays, are two of the three most misleading evidences of a players effectiveness. The third one is points per game.

Knights problem, his basketball problem, is he is sullen and withdrawn and virtually unemotional. He has the personality of a sack of doorknobs. And as such he has been and is a poor leader. And coming out of college much more was expected of him than what he has delivered, largely due to the fact he was expected to be a franchise player. And he isn't. And because he has suffered some serious injuries.

Defensive On-off numbers????????
    Look no further than who his teammates have been. Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond in his first and second seasons, Zaza, Jon Henson, and then a pile of washed up mediocre to poor bigs in Phoenix. He ain't played with anybody. He had PJ in Phoenix. But he didn't get to play with PJ and Tyson hardly any. And that's where your defensive on-off goes to. Defense is a team thing. Even the greatest defender can't do it by himself. Put Draymond on the teams Knight was on and his on-off goes to zero or negative. Defensive is a team thing.

And then a highlight play???? Look, Knight was posterized on that play because his teammate got beat. He simply made a basketball play. He challenged. That took guts.

When you watch Knight actually play defense when healthy, he's pesky. He's on the ball handler, he shades the dribble, he plays fundamentally sound defense and he plays hard all the time. If he's healthy here.....he'll be a plus defender.

#36 basketballholic, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks, that was useful!

Mr. Turbo likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Man you know who's a good defender? Otto Porter.

da_juice and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good points!

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Your thought process is illogical because BK has averaged lots of minutes playing alongside most of the team. ~32minutes a game - BK was -13.3, Booker was -10. Previous season Booker with similar minutes was actually positive in On/Off (+3.9) but plug in BK and you are negative again.
    In fact it gets *worse. In the advanced stats for PHX the top +/- 5 player combos BK (a 32min MPG player) was only in *1 of them AND there lays the irony... I guess the genius of Morey shows through as the ONLY player BK had a positive +/- on-court with was... PJ Tucker!

But is BK definitively a poor defensive player - uh, absolutely yes.