1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball Cards - The Zion/Kobe/Jordan Effect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, May 2, 2020.

1. zeyn

zeyn Member

was avid collector from late 90's till mid 2000's just really went thru my collection again. Found several lebron rookies (including the chrome rookie). But the real winner I have the xfractor out of 220 was shocked at the pricing (all are raw).

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'd have to look and see what I have... I know most of my basketball/baseball/football cards were from the late 80s and 90s.... I'm not looking to keep them just for the sake of keeping them... If an opportunity presents itself to sell them, they're gone!

3. le081488

le081488 Member

Congrats! Messaged you btw

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We are certainly in bubble territory at this point. Giannis base Prizm rookies are nutty... $1,800 all day long raw. Luka rookies have exploded in the last 3 weeks. I'm guessing it is being driven by COVID stay at home boredom, extra cash laying around for people that aren't traveling, etc.

I just pulled out of some boxes some Luka Chronicles rookies I pulled out of Clearance boxes around December. They were $10-20 all day...not they are ~$100 a pop raw in the last 2 weeks.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Where do you go to find the proper value of your cards?... Website? Google?

6. zeyn

zeyn Member

#46 zeyn, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rare Zion rookie card value going to the moon.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

The pelican medical staff have trouble getting the actual weight & body weight of that lovely creature also. :D

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I picked up a few graded Harden rookies on eBay a few years ago for $20-$50 each. I just checked eBay to see these are selling for $200-$500 each now. Actually selling for that, not just list price.

Is this a bubble? Seems like it based on past experience (90s collecting.). What do you guys think?

10. Supermac34

We are certainly in a bubble for sports cards. I think the end of lock downs and COVID next year will see a reduction in values for MOST of these cards, but I'm not sure it'll crash like the 90s. eBay keeps things balanced to an extent...you know the relative supply/demand at all times, whereas in the 90s you were reliant on local card shops and shows to set prices.

As with other bubbles, it may not be the end of the run...Luka cards are up 100% in the last 4 weeks...could they go up another 100% in the next four weeks? Sure...but will they come down out of the stratosphere eventually? Probably

Harden is still undervalued relative to other guys, interestingly.

Patience likes this.
  11. Supermac34

The pricing for grading can get a little complicated. It is based on the era of the card + the estimated value of the card once its graded + the turn around time to get it graded. The $11 a card isn't going to apply to more valuable cards.

There are really good submission services that'll make sure it's documented and packaged correctly. They'll wipe your cards down (yes finger prints can hurt a grade if you get a crummy grader), and they'll help you figure out if its even worth grading.

A good one is here if you are interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GemMint/