1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Back-up QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Feb 19, 2018.

?

Would you consider giving Manziel a tryout?

1. Hell No!

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Maybe, if he proves himself in the Spring Lead.

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Absolutely, having Johnny Football on the team would be great!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've been trying think of a guy who could possibly be a good back-up for Deshaun, but there are really very few QBs with his style of play and traits available that would allow OB to continue to run a similar offense. Then I remembered, not long ago there was a Texas boy that was supposed to change the face of QBing in the NFL, but he let alcohol and bad judgement ruin his chance. I may get flamed, but Johnny Manziel would seem to be the perfect QB to back-up Watson from the standpoint of being able to execute a similar offense.

Manziel obviously has a lot to prove and I'm not sure the audition he'll get in the Spring League will be enough, but in the poll that's my choice. The young man has been in a dark place and I hope he realizes how much he gave up. He's only 25 and perhaps he will show the world he's ready for another chance.

Personally, this is one of those low risk/high reward moves that the Texans typically don't take because of character issues, but I'm convinced our back-up QB is currently not on the roster, but if he is we're in trouble. Maybe our new GM will have more balls than RS to color outside the lines.

Let the poll begin!

Hank McDowell likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no.

For a backup QB you are looking for a stable vet, not a head case.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

BTG,
    In most cases I would wholeheartedly agree, but I'm not sure there is that guy in the FA market. Fitzy, Keenum, and Bridgewater are possibilities, but the latter 2 want to start and Fitzy is supposedly happy in TB.

Who would you suggest we look at/target?

Why not? likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you bring in Fitz if he's cheap enough to steal away from TB or look for someone like Sam Bradford who could probably be had cheap. No matter what you don't want to spend much money at backup QB because

1. If Watson goes down, you're doomed.
    2. There are so many more important holes to fill.

I'm sure there are a lot of other guys out there who would work, but I think you want a mix of affordability, experience, and stability.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

If the Texans are doomed if Watson goes down, then why not just make it Yates and be done with it? No reason to pay another QB more than what Yates is willing to play for.

Oh, and as for Johnny. I don't trust that he has his head screwed on straight at this point. He would have to have several successful years in Canada before I would consider him. But, if we don't upgrade the OL we will need someone that can scramble his ass off. That is something Johnny can do.

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I would not object to Fitzmagic coming back in here.
    I am still not quite sure why they let Weeds go.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Because they had a drafted qb that was in the system for 3 years and a shiny new first round pick they just drafted. Last year Weeden was exactly how you described him, a weed.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

FAs Available
    Drew Brees
    Kirk Cousins
    Case Keenum
    Tyrod Taylor
    AJ McCarron
    Sam Bradford
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Josh McCown
    Matt Moore
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Jay Cutler
    Tom Savage

Rookies
    Josh Rosen
    Sam Darnold
    Josh Allen
    Baker Mayfield
    Lamar Jackson
    Mason Rudolph
    Luke Falk

Teams that need starters

NO
    NYJ
    Den
    Cle
    Buf
    Ari
    Minn

Even if all seven teams went the FA route (which is very unlikely), the seventh best QB will have to settle for a backup position. If you follow the above rankings, Bridgewater will be available. Or Mccown. Point being, the market is saturated with QBs who have started recently and/or want to start next season; no reason not to have a competent backup on the roster.

#8 Nimo, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  9. raining threes

McCown would be a great get, but I doubt he comes home.

Bridgewater is going to be looking for a starting job.

Bring back the Weed Man.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt anyone would offer Bridgewater a starting job, perhaps he'll look for a backup job on a team with a weak or injury prone starter. That's the most likely scenario for him to end up back throwing interceptions in the NFL.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nimo,
    I thought we should add MIN as needing a starter and back-up as well. KC needs a vet back-up for Mahomes. LAC and BAL need back-ups that can be eventual replacements for Rivers and Flacco. CIN needs a back-up with McCarron leaving. There are others who could potentially need back-ups depending on what happens with their guys (MIA-Moore/Cutler, TB-Fitzy, CHI, etc.)

Of the guys above, I would love to bring Case back, but I think he deserves a chance to start or at least compete for a starting job. Fitzy would be a solid back-up for Watson, but does he want to move again? We make be looking more at a Matt Moore as the type of guy who would come to Houston as a back-up. Sleepers could be guys like Tyrod or Teddy who might sign 1-year deals to try to resurrect their value. May could also look at trades for low costs guys like a Cody Kessler for example.

With all that in mind, I'm not sure the market is saturated with available QBs, but to your point there will probably be better choices than a wild card like Manziel. With that said, why not offer him a low-ball contract and a chance to come to camp with no guarantees? Maybe being around guys like Watson, Hop, Watt, Clowney, etc will help show him what it takes to be a pro.

Why not? likes this.
  12. raining threes

I could see Arizona/Browns giving him a shot.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's just too many better options out there IMO, but we'll see what happens.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

You're right. I should have included Minnesota. I just edited it.

The teams you're listing as needing backups should include Houston. My point was a good number of those available QBs will be backups and there's no reason why Houston shouldn't get a good one. Plus the chargers, ravens, and giants will probably draft the replacement.

If Case doesn't get a starting gig or at least a chance to compete, he needs to fire his agent. My guess is Minn or Arizona for him. I like Teddy.

The last time we saw Manziel play, he wasn't that good. And it has been a very long time. He needs to go rip it up in the CFL to earn a chance to come back to the league.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's still actually the worst out of y'alls VY/RG3/JF wet dream-pipedreams.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tyrod wouldn't be a bad get for the right price.

Fulgore likes this.
  17. SinceEverSince

Lamar Jackson?

18. texian

texian Member

He's a top 50 lock, I'd take him in the first if I were JAX.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Manny Wilkins, Arizona St.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Someone mentioning Bridgewater is the ultimate Bobby batsignal lol