1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atomic Blonde will Blow You Away!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We saw this last Thursday. I looked around Hangout and was surprised that no one had started a thread about it.

WHAT A STUNNINGLY AWESOME INCREDIBLE FLICK!!

Charlize Theron? Words fail me. I've seen a lot of her movies, and I know this is far from the first action film she's been in, but my god, she is AMAZING in this one! This is the best action film I've seen in a very long time. Seriously. There's a fight in a stairway that will leave you sitting there with your mouth hanging open in amazement, and that's just one of them. Go see it. If you like action flicks, go see it! I find myself thinking about scenes from the film 4 days later, replaying them in my mind (my mind has seen a lot, believe it or not), and I will be seeing it again while it's in excellent theaters. Theaters with good projection, sound, and seating. Austin has a lot of those now. What can I say except see the damn movie!

Thoughts?

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I loved the Cold War setting, the pulsating 80s music and all the twists and double crosses. The action was authentic; every punch was meaningful and hurt. Charlie Theron was excellent as always and really all the performances were great.

Such a badass movie. But I don't consider it a pure action movie; more of a spy action thriller.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I watched it. It's JANE Wick In a good way.

I loved the soundtrack. Was dancing in my seat.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The trailer sucked. But I'm glad to hear it turned out good.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I really enjoyed it. Was expecting it to be more like John wick. In a way it was but less action (not a bad thing). Story was a bit confusing at times and had to get some things clarified online afterwards.

Hopefully a sequel gets made.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thought this was a follow-up to the Nicole Aniston thread.

Nook likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am more the Atomic Brunette guy.... but won't say no.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I saw Atomic Blonde this weekend, very stylish film and Theron kicks ass throughout. 80s soundtrack gives it a cool vibe but the plot's nothing to write home about, pretty basic, still its got some of the best fight sequences of the year......

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great point. Having lived through the Cold War, with a vivid memory of the Cuban missile crisis, much less the '80's Cold War vibe, I happily settled into the Cold War milieu the film gave us and didn't think a lot about how different many might have found it. Again, good call!

11. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Me and the Mrs. saw this on Friday. Awesome, great soundtrack, great Charlize Theron performance. She's amazing. 8.5/10.

Deckard likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought it was interesting that Charlize and Tom Hardy hated each other on set of Road Warrior, getting into heated arguments, but joked about it afterward and seemingly let it go due to the stress of the being in the desert. His note to her..."You are an absolute nightmare, BUT you are also ****ing awesome. I'll kind of miss you. Love, Tommy."

Deckard likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

They sooooo smashed.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Thought it was a great. Nice action and a loved the 80's music. I noticed that Charlize Theron has become quite the feminist/lesbian action hero. During Mad Max there was a big group of lesbians cheering her on when I saw that in the movie theater.

I fully support more steamy hot lesbian sex in her movies going forward.

#14 The Real Shady, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Deckard likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Like one of the fight scenes, the movie's plot fell down the stairs and landed badly.

All of the plot twists and turns do not add up, by the end.

The double agent plot lines were a mess. Everything pointed at the wrong person.

The wrong person shot the East German asset on the crossing. The double agent who should want the asset dead, risks her life several times to save the asset. The wrong person should not want the asset dead at all.

The wrong person kills the French spy for no apparent reason. None.

The Russians try to kill the double agent throughout the entire movie. The Russians turned her, yet no matter they send multiple waves of kill teams her way.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm not saying the plot was neat and tidy, but I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. In this type of movie, the double agent plot lines should point to the wrong person. It's a wasted opportunity to not try and trick the audience.

Percival HAD the list already when he shot Spyglass. If he believed obtaining the list would help his career (he did), and he didn't care about human life (he didn't), shooting spyglass made perfect sense.

Conversely, Lorraine had every reason to save Spyglass because obtaining the list was important..........to all involved, including the CIA. At best, she secretly delivers him to Americans and looks like she failed to the Brits, and at worst, the Brits get him, and Goodman's character has to unmask her as a CIA operative. Heck, she just wanted to get back home anyway.

Delphine called Percival and told him she had dirt on him. She did.........Lorraine used those pictures to paint him as Sachel. He did have a reason to kill her. Besides, he exhibited some chauvinist qualities anyway, and he was pissed at Lorraine, but too chicken-**** to take her on. So he got to kill the weaker woman.

And think about the Russians............they didn't really try to kill Lorraine until the end, and by then, Percival had gotten into their heads. When they picked her up at the airport, that guy in the backseat was totally unprepared to have a stiletto heal shoved in his throat. They didn't do squat until Lorraine attacked them. Same thing on her first trip to the East. The big dude that she shoved a key in his face.........he even looked at her incredulously and said, "are you crazy? He just wants to talk to you."

I think all the stuff you mentioned adds up. Not totally neat and tidy, but it adds up.

The biggest plot snafu I could see is using Goodman's character to relay a message to her on that platform overlooking the wall. The verbal message seemed unnecessary...........certainly unnecessary in person, and odd to be coming from a CIA guy when she's supposed to be a Brit spook. He poked her in the chest with some rolled up paper at the end of their conversation, and she may have ended up with it. If so, that would make that scene make more sense. That would be the real message.

It wasn't perfect, but I sure as **** enjoyed it.

Deckard likes this.
  17. VanityHalfBlack

If that is in the movie, consider this the goat of all movies. I love Til Tuesday. Is the soundtrack really all 80s?

Snow Villiers likes this.
  18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Yes, it's in the movie. They had lots of sick songs. When they played Behind the Wheel I got hype.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A great extended trailer, but I have some advice for folks that have yet to see the film. Don't watch the trailer! It's one of those damned things that essentially shows the bulk of the film in snatches of scenes, taking away a **** load of surprises for those who can manage to remember it during the wild ride unfolding on the big screen.

Oh, and the flick does have a cool soundtrack, as some of you have pointed out. There are some great Bowie tunes in there, as well as loads of other excellent '80's music.