1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Atlantic] The Case for Impeachment...Now.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 17, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

Sorry to break this to you but not everyone is equally concerned about the legal and moral basis of our current leadership and all of those people don't think of themselves as republicans or Trump supporters.

My entire point is can be removed from office, if not impeachment is a waste of time and political capital.

At this point what does impeachment accomplish?

Especially considering McConnell who most likely will not even consider impeachment proceedings in the Senate, you know he has the ability to shut that down.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

And now Muellers office is saying the article is not accurate.

that's why I am saying tap the breaks.

Harrisment likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can tell you what you should say - you should say "why am I incorrectly citing a common law evidentiary rule (to a situation which it does not apply) invoking the Federal Rules of Evidence which have a absolutely no bearing on the procedural question about impeachment.

Actually if you read the article it becomes apparent. See the portion re the Johnson impeachment.

4. SamFisher

^did not read article.

Good night.

5. MystikArkitect

True but how many have sold since then? And yes, I’m just speculating but it just screamed settlement agreement to me at the time and still does so today.

If Les owes folks money, or a lot of money, selling something lucrative and extremely liquid would be the easiest means of getting the capital necessary to do so.

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude I have no reason why you are holding up that article as gospel.

maybe because it says everything you want to hear.

There are other legal scholars who have differing opinions and they are all not Trump supporters some are democrats.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

Ok you go with that.

i am going with I think making a billion dollars plus on your investment is enough of a reason to be selling.

8. biff17

biff17 Member

first is that once an impeachment inquiry begins, the president loses control of the public conversation. Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, and Bill Clinton each discovered this, much to their chagrin. Johnson, the irascible Tennessee Democrat who succeeded to the presidency in 1865 upon the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, quickly found himself at odds with the Republican Congress. He shattered precedents by delivering a series of inflammatory addresses that dominated the headlines and forced his opponents into a reactive posture. The launching of impeachment inquiries changed that. Day after day, Congress held hearings. Day after day, newspapers splashed the proceedings across their front pages. Instead of focusing on Johnson’s fearmongering, the press turned its attention to the president’s missteps, to the infighting within his administration, and to all the things that congressional investigators believed he had done wrong.

i have an issue with this passage right here, none of those presidents had the ability to control the public message with or their own propaganda vehicle in Fox news let alone all of the other Republican outlets and social media.

i mean we are talking about 3presidents who were elected before the internet and smart phones.

that's kind of a weak argument.

9. SamFisher

It's not gospel. Its stimulating. It's enlightening.

If you read it.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

None?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trump still president? I heard he was going to prison today.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

poor Sam is completely unhinged. It's a pity he's become so lost.

cml750, dachuda86 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Everyone savor this moment of Trump actually believing and supporting Mueller.

It will be the last one, probably ever.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

Yes none had access to social media or had an entire network in the tank for him.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

i did read it and posted some of it.

And it was not especially enlightening.

King1 and dachuda86 like this.
  16. SamFisher

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I misunderstood your response. I was responding directly to someone referring to emoluments as a reason for impeachment.

That being said the original article referred to Trump's trying to block immigration here. That being he hasnt been found guilty of anything criminal yet or even formally accused

Funny seeing impeachment supporters act like he has been proven guilty of criminal activity including collusion

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Emoluments is an impeachable offense.

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-is-the-emoluments-clause

And... Al Capone was not proven guilty of criminal activity. Until he was. Mueller's investigation is on-going and until he completes his investigation and his report is released (if its released), only after then we will know if trump gets charged with impeachable offense(s).

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its ongoing we know

Even Democrats are now saying it needs to conclude