1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Atlantic] The Case for Impeachment...Now.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 17, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

i did and it's a well thought out OPINION, I just don't agree that the benefit outweighs the negative.

especially at this point of his term.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we are going to start selectively enforcing constitutional law by how reasonable we find various components, the Dems would probably like to have a word or two about the 2nd Ammendment.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Impeachment based on enomulents is a long way away. The actual lawsuit is a stretch. Thats why it isn't news.

The closest thing i think they have is the Stormy Daniels payoff

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The "at this point of his term" qualifier makes it seem like we're in October 2020.

Look at how bad 2017 was. Right out of the gate, scandals, abuses, rampant crime and corruption. Unprecedented degradation of our institutions. Basically chaos and ****.

2018 managed to be even worse.

Now in January 2019, the government is shut down indefinitely wholly due to Trump, we have no Secretary of Defense, no Attorney General, the White House doesn't really have a chief of staff (or even a full staff). Unpaid workers are barely holding our institutions together. The President is committing new felonies seemingly by the day. He is under investigation for being a foreign asset. He is trying to destroy the postwar order, seemingly at teh behest of Russia.

The trajectory is shocking and awful. Thousands or Millions have already died or suffered (Puerto Rico, child separation, etc etc etc). Many more no doubt will if it continues.

Remember back in 2016 - two years ago, people said "He'd govern like a normal Republican, but be socially liberal, adults in the room will protect him" - if you'd presented a crystal ball of the future, many would have called it a worst case scenario.

Well, we're in that scenario.

Don't let the ongoing slow motion awfulness delude you into not seeing how much we have already lost, and don't let optimism bias deldue you into thinking it can't get worse. It's done nothing but get worse so far. It is likely to continue.

We have no president. We have no government. Damage is being done every day. We have a remedy for this, it's called impeachment.

Basically the bar you're setting is that we have to have impeachment charges signed sealed & delivered to the Senate within the first year of a President's term.

If that's the case then it basically has no meaning.

red, Amiga, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know. Right now Cohen's number one concern and agenda is saving his family's and his asses. Embellishing or straight up lying to Mueller directly harms his agenda.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Typical scare tactics. When Dems have had office, there was little done in terms of the 2nd amendment. Sure, some aren't fans of the current state of gun ownership, but the rights' "they're coming for your guns" is just bs.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If the evidence is there (which it appears to be), and Mueller's report clearly spells out the details of what trump did, I would want the House to do there constitutional duty and draw articles of impeachment. Not doing so would be a dereliction of their duties and would encourage future crimes.

Its then up to the Senate to do their constitutional duty. If they don't, or if they don't remove him from office if the evidence is clearly presented and supported, then that is on the Senate. And American voters should think of that when re-elections come due.

My one concern... if barr or the WH blocks release of the report. Then the House should immediately get to work.

biff17 likes this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You do realize impeachment is a simple majority vote in the House? Do you really think it means anything to Trump if a bunch of Democrats vote against him? You have to get him REMOVED from office. That requires 19 Republican Senators to flip on Trump. If you think paying off a p*rn star he had an affair with or firing Comey is enough to get Republicans to turn against him you are insanse. It has to be bigger like Nixon. Otherwise, you call hearings and Trump and his cronies scream witch hunt and take the 5th. The House impeaches him, the Senate does not remove him and you just made Trump invincible and took the guillotine away that's hanging over his head.

9. MystikArkitect

I hope they just present the case to Trump and his family, tell him he can resign as President and live his twilight years away from the spotlight and enjoy his freedom.

Or endure the punishment of impeachment proceedings and a likely treason conviction.

I have a strong inclination that this is why Les sold the Rockets. It was likely part of a settlement agreement.

Rashmon, SamFisher and Dubious like this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am quickly moving into the camp of impeachment, with no hope of conviction.

You need to get every cabinet member, former and current, testifying to everything they have seen and witnessed. If anything, it will show incompetent he is.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC when Trump was sworn in as President, he promised to uphold the Constitution, right?

Are can we give Trump a pass since he lies all the time?

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As a career civil servant, I can assure you we do not have enough checks and balances to limit the damage that can be done to the federal agencies that administer many of the programs and services many American rely upon.

13. SamFisher

Not sure why there is a random dig at Leslie, but I'm going to go ahead and give it a like due to our very unimaginative City edition jerseys.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You have to prove he violated it first

Staying at his hotel is the normal course of business on the surface. It isn't a stretch to stay there

15. SamFisher

Right, so that's what the impeachment process is for.

The House presents its proof. The Senate votes to remove or not.

Glad to see we're on the same page, breh.

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

No, the counter argument being made is that you want to impeach him when you have the best chance at successfully removing him from office. Doing so too early draws a line in the sand before we even have what's likely to be more damning information coming from the SC investigation. This strategy severely risks pushing more sympathy towards him and increasing his ever-diminishing chances of getting re-elected in 2020. It would play right into the Republicans hands as I'm sure they welcome impeachment proceedings from a Democratic-controlled house to completely change the current narrative, especially in the middle of a shutdown that people are rightfully blaming Trump for and at a time when it's looking more and more like the Special Counsel's report is going to be a disaster and chock full of evidence of Trump having ties and secret agreements with Moscow.

I read the article and it definitely made me contemplate my position but I still think you have to play the long game and maximize the chances of removing him from office. It would be like Daenerys sending her dragons in to attack King's landing when they've only grown to about 10 feet long. Wait until those babies are fully grown and then go scorched Earth on this mother f**ker.

Amiga, biff17, mtbrays and 1 other person like this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I believe this will be the most likely outcome.

18. SamFisher

It can't be true that you have to both

1) impeach him after a huge amount of misconduct and incompetence comes in so that you don't even need to do any investigating at all and can go straight to the removal vote and

2) can't impeach him if you're too close to an election which is better anyway.

These two tenets (wait till later vs. do it early) are in severe conflict. Again, this defeats the purpose of the remedy existing at all - I don't think these two propositions are necessarily true at all. But if these two conflicting tenets are true it would seem to indicate that, since we're at the midpoint, and the governemnt is basically nonfunctional, we're at the exact right time to begin the inquiry.

Anyway, most of your argument about how this will somehow help him is addressed in the article but I'll say it again impeachment is a months-long process, not an outcome, with its own investigative phase to allay some of what you cite above.

19. MystikArkitect

Not really a dig, just an observation. His random sell of the Rockets was odd and the more I thought about it the more I think there had been something brewing in the background for some time that they eventually presented him with. Either sell your team and pay us the funds or we can proceed with whatever.

Hopefully the same happens with Trump and we can all go back to normal.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

People keep pointing to Bill Clinton when discussing the danger of trump getting impeached but not removed from office. They point out that Clinton's approval increased after he was impeached. Which is true. But...

Clinton's approval went up 10% after he was impeached. But unlike trump, Clinton was well-liked. He had a 63% approval going into impeachment. trump, on the other hand, has an approval in the thirties. And declining. Where Clinton was both likable and well-liked, trump is only liked by his base (and even then, many of his base admit they don't like him as a person).

More important, most people thought Clinton was impeached for a b*&w j@b. While many try to suggest trump is only in trouble for lying about an affair with a p*rn actress, most people think he is getting impeached for obstruction, perjury, and "collusion". Once Mueller's report comes out with the details and evidence, any comparison with Clinton will be blown away. Hard to compare the two situations and people.