1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Atlantic] The Case for Impeachment...Now.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 17, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why would he want to read anything from The Atlantic? A crappy propganda rag that uses hack flourish to hide its garabage that will probably go under soon anyways.

cml750 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If your goal is to remove him from office which I would love also, impeachment would barely cut any time off his term. It's a very long process from the beginning of impeachment proceedings to his actual removal. By that time, it's election time.

So you are essentially risking civil unrest for half a year probably unless you think he'll resign halfway through the precedings?

Anyways I don't feel much better with Mike "electroshock your love of ****" Pence. Opportunity cost isn't worth it .

biff17 likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Impeachment doesn't actually remove him from office. Therefore, it wouldn't cause unrest. I am sure you know this right? So is that a problem? Impeach him! It will be great. Let the Dems use all their energy up and energize the oppositition. It would be a great way to put all your energy into a fruitless effort. I am all in favor of this.

Let the impeachment begin!

cml750 likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Why would we have civil unrest? I don't see a slow moving impeachment causing civil unrest. My thinking is the health of the nation is already in a toilet and impeachment or not isn't going to change it much, unfortunately. It is going to take generations to correct this mess.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's say you are an 80 year old lady from California.

Lets say you have sworn an oath to uphold the constitution and yadda yadda.

Let's say someone puts an impeccably drafted set of articles of impeachment (its probably possible to do this today)

Other than this maybe happening in October of 2020 - how do you justify to yourself that you are fulfilling your oath?

Other than lying to yourself I dont think you can.

It reminds me of the Al Franken me too thing. Was what Franken allegedly did as bad on the scale as Trump, Kavanaugh et al did? Not even close.

Could you have comfortably said " let the voters decide in 2020" - maybe.

But was there a moral/ethical duty to support his resignation regardless of the political optics or cost? I think there was.

6. SamFisher

That's the point of the article though

Its hinkiean.

The point is the process, not the result.

7. fchowd0311

I know people.

He's a cult of personality. He has a literal cult following.
    You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm legitimately afraid of what might happen to this country if Trump is forcably removed. People have attached so much of their self identity and pride to Trump .

You're banking on the guy resigning this enoourmous amount of power. He'll cling on to it as long as possible because not only is he headstrong, he's also a complete dumbass.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is already a great thread.. I love watching people discuss a process that they explain in high school govt class, and people still don't understand it.

[​IMG]

cml750 likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, look above :) They are welcoming it...

I don't think these cults followers are going to turn violent. And more importantly, I don't think impeachment (as a politic move) should ever consider these cult followers reactions. Cult people are already determined and nothing will change them. The considerations is for the politically unaffiliated (most people), the center, and some on the right.

10. SamFisher

So we subvert our entire democracy/country for these dead enders.

**** that. If they end America by blowing up federal buildings let them try. We shouldn't let their syphilitic Avatar do it for them the easy way.

Rashmon and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would've thought 3 time War Winner George W. Bush was enough operant conditioning!

Voters have a habit of washing their hands of their decisions after 8 years. They're usually weasely and spineless by declaring right now that they aren't a Trump supporter but...

13. fchowd0311

If it was a 8 year term office and he had 6 years of office left I would be all aboard. I think there are enough checks and balances to limit Trump's potential catastrophic damage for 2 more years.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

But if people aren't rabid anti-Trumpers we are automatically labeled Trump supporters.

If you're not with us, you're against us mentality.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

We didn't learn w/ Bush, so we got Trump.

Whoever fixes Trump's mess will then get voted out with an even worse opposite.

No responsibility... No problem! It's evil Trumps fault!! Kenyan agent Obummer made me vote for Trump!!

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You really should lay off the drugs... or do more...

cml750 likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

I suppose the avg "non-partisan" Trumper does OTC opiates or knows someone who does.

I'll keep that in mind

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why would the Dems want to impeach Trump? He’s the best thing for their team.

No Worries likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have to correct the record. I am not a Trump supporter if that is your take. I am totally open for a Democrat, Libertarian, or Independent option. Who will they put forward? I really would like to vote for Tulsi Gabbard if she continues, at least for now. She's a great option. Also I don't do Opiates. Just your post was so poorly written, I had to assume you were on drugs. Sorry if I offended you.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The suggestion of impeaching Trump cause you don't agree with his politics is ridiculous. We have checks and balances and they have worked. He didn't get his travel ban and he won't get his wall and he didn't do anything illegal to try to get them

#40 pgabriel, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    dachuda86 likes this.