1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros vs. Nationals World Series Odds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I wasn’t aware anyone on this board was actually playing in the games?

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Regardless as I said earlier and you said yourself, him eating up those 7 innings was such a huge factor - who knows what happens yesterday if he would have continued to unravel and then we had to pitch Abreu to only lose like 10-1 and allow them to rest their main bullpen arms. IMO Verlander’s start was a damn good one for us.

DavidRocket likes this.
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your self in check

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s baseball. This is literally how the 6 month season goes, with far less off days.

The Nationals guys who didn’t need rest due to injury are probably going to be a little off... but that goes away after about an inning.

Rest does benefit guys who were banged up or sore. Otherwise, not really any such thing in baseball. Also, the most important aspect for the Astros is that their rotation is set up just as they want it.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Ok smart guy. I’m sure you can read between the lines.

I’m a bit superstitious. I don’t want people acting like the Astros are going to walk all over the Nats. They just might, but I wouldn’t get cocky about it before a single game is played. Baseball has proven time and time again that anything can happen.

Thank you for letting me know that none of us are playing. I almost forgot.

elrond likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Nobody really benefits, there's just too much noise

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Please try it this next series.

8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

So you're superstitious which means in reality you agree we should win this series? That was my point - I'm not superstitious or believe in jinxes because I know there are Nats fans thinking they're going to win as well. I'm simply stating this is the worst team we have faced in the 2017 WS run and now this year's run.

I realize they have Scherzer and Strasburg so that gives them a shot to win as who knows maybe they both completely shut us down and Cole/JV give up a couple of runs...but they don't have an advantage anywhere really. Their starting pitching may be on par with ours (I would take Cole/JV but would also understand if someone disagreed) but after that their bullpen will be the worst we've seen and their lineup is no where near as talented as ours.

I'm not saying they are going to win without a doubt (if I thought that I would bet my life savings) but we absolutely should handle this team and if we don't it will be a huge failure - I'm pretty confident that won't happen though.

DavidRocket likes this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Now this is a post that makes more sense to me. Appreciate the response.

Are the Astros better? Yep. Should they win. Yep. Will they? You never know, it’s why they play the games.

The Nats starting pitching is very good and bully should be pretty weak for the most part. The offense has been really clicking and can be dangerous. They have that team of destiny feel to them and I don’t like it.

Doesn’t mean I think the Nats will win, but they’re playing their best ball at the best possible time.

I’m cautious because the Astros have won a total of 1 time in the entire existence. It’s not easy. No, it’s not this team, it should make a difference. I’m hopeful no doubt.

I just don’t want to start polishing the trophy until it’s actually back.

10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I understand the paranoia - I went to Texas A&M so my other teams are A&M, Rockets and Cowboys...none of which have been relevant while I was old enough to truly appreciate their titles (I wasn't even in high school when the Rockets and Cowboys won their titles). All of my friends/family are in a similar boat so I had to listen to their negativity (not saying you were being negative) after the Rays won those two games in Tampa...I think they always fear the worst since we aren't used to winning anything in any sport.

Trust me I remember all of the heartbreak this team caused me when they lost the Braves every year. In fact, I was at the last game in the Dome when the Braves knocked us out once again and all I remember was how hard it was to leave the stadium. That being said, this team is different - I always feel like they are going to find a way to come through and they've continued to prove me right. I've seen some posters here that have bashed Hinch in the past but I truly believe he is one of the best, if not the best, managers in the game and we're blessed to have the best GM in the game. It's baseball so of course anything can happen - guys like David Ross have been World Series heroes in the past. However, I'm taking our team all day against Washington and I think we can all agree that avoiding LAD is a huge victory in itself...

mikol13 likes this.
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

In basketball and football, I'd say the team who has been off a week but in baseball where these guys are used to playing 20+ games in a row at times during the season, I don't think having time off helps. If anything I think it hurts because baseball is so predicated on timing, both from a batter and a pitcher standpoint. I also think us playing two tough teams will benefit us...I think NYY playing the cupcake Twins didn't do them any favors much like the Nats with the Cards.

RasaqBoi and Theking like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For what it's worth here's MLB Tonight's analysis of Astros vs. Nats.

Tfor3, RasaqBoi and Jake Tower like this.
  13. Roc Paint

I can’t help the fact that God has blessed me with more intuition and mojo than yourself

14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Yall 2 need to grow the **** up or I’ll slap both you immature asses.

15. Roc Paint

You’re funny. I’d slap you back so hard you would drop right along with your mic

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I know Fangraphs, Vegas, and 538 gives us a 60-70 percent chance to win the WS but I am scared of the nationals; don't take them lightly

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Huge Astros and Nats fan here. I'm excited cause I win either way. =) I'm hoping the Nats can at least take it to 6 games, just so I get more baseball. And that why I'm going with the prediction of Astros in 6.

Ultimately I'm leaning towards the Astros a little bit due to them being my first team. Plus, all my friends and family back home in Houston can relish in it as well. The other half of me knows how rare it is to get to a World Series, much less win one. The Astros already won two years ago, and that first one is the one that counts. For all anyone knows, Nats might not have another chance in my lifetime.

All that said, I do think that Nats overall record may be tipping the scale a little too much in favor of the Astros. Let's face it, all most people know about the Nats is that they snuck in as a wild card with a decent, but not great overall record. I'll just post these numbers here and see myself out. Can't wait til tomorrow!

"Since May 23, the Astros, including the postseason, are 81-41 and have scored 691 runs with a plus-182 run differential. The Nats are 82-40 and have scored 700 runs with a plus-203 run differential."

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

in some ways, this series strategy wise is easier for the Astros. The Astros do well when they can wear down starters and then pounce on relatively worse relievers. That wasn't really the best option against the Rays or Yankees.

Having said that, Washington's bullpen has been much better since trading deadline, some of their lineup is hot right. They have immense confidence having won their last 6 games.

Also since the Nationals 19-31 start, they have been 74-38 (0.660) and with playoff, 81-40 (0.669). That is the same regular season winning percentage of the Astros.

I don't think anyone here is overlooking them or taking them lightly as fans. We all are just aware that the Astros have been the favorite since getting Greinke and more so with the Dodgers losing.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Don't encourage them.

conquistador#11 likes this.