1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, he keeps getting every day playing time b/c of injuries and that's where the organization has him on the depth chart. I'd have preferred to see AJ Reed get two weeks worth of AB's breaking camp while Guriel was out. I'd have preferred to see Tucker up earlier. Or Bregman play SS now with Correa out. But the org views him as the best option to suck up that playing time, and they are really smart, so I just shrug my shoulders and say not what I'd do, but I'm sure they know better than me.
    If Tucker hits at all and Correa comes back I just don't see Marwin getting many AB's in the playoffs, though, to alleviate your concern. Maybe against a really tough lefty to spell Reddick or Tucker.
    If Tucker doesn't cut it or Correa isn't healthy I think they go get a guy in late August in a waiver type of deal. There always seems to be a Jay Bruce type available in late August.

raining threes and Kim like this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

BARF at this! This means righty-hitting Marwin, who is absolute ****. Lefty Marwin is at least half-decent. But yeah, what you said is very true. This organization really loves him, and values him more than letting younger guys have a fair chance.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Buck Turgidson

Yes, please.

BigMaloe, mikol13, The Beard and 2 others like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Tucker or Alvarez is fair game for me, if you think you can sign Springer and it's for JT Realmato. I can't imagine anyone else valuing Whitley or Col Perez as highly as I do.
    In reality I just don't see the FO trading any of those 4 guys though.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Myles straw, David Paulino and Jandel Gustave for Zach Britton.
    Getter done.
    It's better value then Harrera

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think Houston will get Britton. There are too many teams after him and one of them will go crazy. For once it looks like Baltimore played something correctly.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I want to keep Straw to fill the Marisnick role on the team as a 4th OF- baserunner and defender in the future. The org is also working him out at SS so I guess they maybe view him as a Marwin replacement. I'd rather throw in Davis as I think he might have less value than Straw as he seems a little blocked to me. I wouldn't refuse to do a Straw deal, that's just a guy I wouldn't want to see go as I see a path to playing time for him in the future, as I'm guessing Marisnick won't be around once he runs out of options and gets some money in arbitration.

texans1095 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  9. Houston_Rockets

I just hope we don't have to overpay for Britton because of the competition. Are we sure we have no chance of resigning him if he dominates the rest of the way? Like how much would a guy like that command with his injury history?

It kinda sucks if it's just a rental even tho I'm 100% on going for moves that up our chance on this winning window that could be an historic one.

It's kinda crazy how good we are from top to bottom that, in a way, it hurts to give away prospects for a very talented player just because it might be for just a couple of months.

I'm still dreaming about Realmuto in an Astros uniform, mainly because I'm almost 100% positive Marlins will trade him this deadline, so we would just have to be the best offer on the table.

#4789 Houston_Rockets, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  10. prospecthugger

I am not so sure the Astros won't be that team. The upper level pitching depth is outstanding, and there's a lot of position players with no where to go, so they could overpay from depth.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I could see other teams coming with offers that Houston could only beat by offering a package headlined by Alvarez (or Tucker or Whitley). I would hate to see that. Houston can top pretty much any “quantity” deal, but a team offering up an elite Top 50 type prospect will make it really tough.

12. prospecthugger

I'd be pretty surprised. The Cubs and Red Sox don't really have a guy like that, the Yankees aren't going to do that for a pitcher who would be like their 4th best reliever. The Braves and Phillies are just entering their contention window, and might be pretty hesitant to go all in for a rental. Indians just spent their top prospect for 2 relievers, so probably will keep things minimal. Dodgers might offer up one of their catchers I guess.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Lunow seems to really really guard the guys he thinks can be big pieces for us. I wouldn't worry about him trading one of the big 3 guys for Britton.

14. Buck Turgidson

You are vastly overrating Myles Straw.

Nook likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Braves: Gohara
    Red Sox: Chavis
    Dodgers: Ruiz
    Brewers: Burnes
    Yanks: Florial, Sheffield, Abreu
    Phillies: Medina
    The Cubs farm has been pretty wrecked but if they went crazy I could see them offering one of the young players off their big league roster. All it takes is one team getting stupid.

16. prospecthugger

I'm not sure Chavis is better than Corbin Martin at this point, the Brewers are using Burnes in the MLB pen already. I don't think the Yanks will move any of those guys given their pen already. Gohara's velo is down this year, so that's a red flag, and Medina has been not good in high A and needs to be 40-man rostered this offseason already, which might not make him as appealing. I'd be shocked if the Cubs move a Happ/Almora/Russell type for a rental. The dodgers tend to only trade expendable guys, but that's something you could see in a stretch i guess.

Anything could happen, but I would expect that Martin or Cionel (who the Orioles tried to sign when he was a FA) would probably be a better headliner than I would anticipate getting offered by another team. I wouldn't even be surprised if something like Hector Perez and Jonathan Arauz gets it done.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don't mean it to sound like I think he's going to be great or an all star for us or anything, I just think that with his top end speed and baserunning, and if Snake is right on the glove, that he could be a really useful 4th OF for us and a valuable 25th man on a playoff roster for the next 3 or 4 seasons. That would have more value to me then whatever JD Davis would give the club, even if he's a "better" player than Straw. It's just a roster construction thing.
    Also, the FO talked about almost putting him on the playoff roster last year, so in some sense I think they see him as that kind of guy and value the skill set.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There's almost no chance with how their FO is about medicals that they'd take a deal headlined by Cionel is there?

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

On your first point I totally disagree. A players free agency year has a TON to do with his current trade value, years of control are huge factors there

I remember well the rebuild, probably went to 25-30 games every year since I moved back into town 12 years ago. And yea I said first step. My point is those aren’t the type of deals Luhnow is likely to make. I think he views the “window to win” as being open much longer than you do.

20. raining threes

Bregs needs a week to get used to SS.

Yuli can play an avg/above avg 3B tomorrow.

Agreed about th A's.