1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Thor, Wheeler, Matz, Harvey aren't deGrom.

Again would be VERY surprised if the Mets traded him.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Synergaard and Harvey have been as good as DeGrom when they've been healthy. Matz, Gsellman, Wheeler, and Lugo are still establishing themselves but all 4 have pretty high ceilings.

I don't necessarily think NY will trade DeGrom either, but I won't be shocked, as it does make some sense for them to convert him into 3-4 players that can fill other holes, given their SP depth.

#442 Snake Diggit, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  3. KeuchelForPresident

One factor that might make Bregman more tradeable in the FO's eyes is the resurgence of Tyler White in Fresno. White got off to a slow spring training and April, but he's been turbo-charged in June (slashing .405/.480/.774 in 84 AB's). His OPS for the season in AAA now is around .870.

It's true that White can't be counted on for the same level of defense as Bregman at 3B, but his defense at 1B probably would be similar to Yuli's... and I think Yuli would gladly move to third if asked. Offensively, White would be likely to hit similarly as he did in his late-season call-up in 2016, when he hit for an OPS of .791 in Sept/Oct. That would be an offensive upgrade to Bregs - and I actually think White would be likely to get his OPS over .800 given that he's made some big strides this season in his plate disclipline (K rate of 24.7% during Aug-Sept-Oct of last year vs 20.2% in June of this year).

I'm sure a lot of people would lament Bregman leaving, but if we got a DeGrom/Archer or equivalent (not sure how many of those exist though) in return and White came up and contributed some clutch hits, the fans would get over Bregs pretty quickly I suspect.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I like Bregman as much as the next guy but we are loaded with corner IFers in the minors. Besides White, both Moran and JD Davis are having strong seasons. And AJ Reed may not be totally done.

KeuchelForPresident likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good. They should try to get something for all those minor league guys who may never be even average in the big leagues, while they still have a semblance of value.

BigM likes this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

So why trade the youngest option who's already proven at the major league level and under team control for the next 5+ seasons in favor of someone who's been up and floundered or is just unproven?

This is the approach of a team that's a seller.

#446 Mr.Pringles, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Harvey's last 160+innings comes with an era north of 5, he is nowhere near as good as degrom

8. The Beard

Martes
    Feliz
    Fisher
    Whitley
    Moran/JD Davis

For deGrom and some low level prospect that Luhnow likes

Three top arms, an OF that is ready and a 3B prospect which is a big need for them

We put an Ace with Dallas and Lance without giving up Bregman, Tucker and both of the Martes/Paulino duo

If it's not enough, move on

KeuchelForPresident likes this.
  9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I just don't think that would even get close. They would for certain demand Bregman + Martes and Fisher. Plus some more stuff I would think... Any team could/would beat that trade offer.

10. KeuchelForPresident

If the Astros do agree to move premium, current players like Bregman and/or Marisnick for deGrom, I would have to think they would demand that Blevins be included. That would solve our SP and LOOGY problems in one fell swoop. Their main needs seem to be at CF and 3B, so in addition to replacing the pitching slot they lose in trading deGrom, they will be wanting people like Bregman, Moran, Teoscar, and Davis.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I just don't like the idea of trading Bergman.

He will only get better.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

ERA is an absolutely awful way to judge a pitchers performance.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are only a dozen or so pitchers that Luhnow would trade Bregman for, and none of them will be available this year.

If Luhnow makes an overpay type of trade, it will be to include Tucker, whom I'm sure he is trying to keep off the table.

14. the shark

the shark Member

No it's not. It's one of many ways to do so but no matter how you want to spin it he hasn't been good for quite awhile.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

ERA is the only way to judge a pitchers "performance". A great FIP doesn't win you games.

It is however a terrible number to use to judge how well a pitcher will fare moving forward.

16. The Beard

Lol, ok well Harvey has pretty much been terrible over the last two years to everyone but you...so as long as you aren't running the team we are good

17. The Beard

Yea you could very well be right

But if they want Bregman + Martes I would calmly move along

I know Bregman hasn't been what everyone wants him to be these 2.5 months, but he is a young stud controlled for many years. Personally, I would move him in a deal for deGrom, but not him plus our top prospect, who has struggled but shown signs he could be dominant at the big league level

18. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

How viable/realistic is acquiring Chris Archer?

19. The Beard

As long as they are in the playoff race, can't see them dealing him

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I never said Harvey was good the last two years, hence the caveat "when healthy".