1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Here's a interesting idea.

Would you:
    Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera and Jorge Solar
    To the Astros for:
    Yordan Alveraz, Tony Sipp, Myles Straw, David Paulino, A.J. Reed and Derek Fisher.

Duffy and Herrera to the bull pen. Solar to the OF. Astros would then not have to rush Tucker and if they wanted they could call him up as a 4th OF. The OF would be set for a very long time and Kemp could then take Marwin Gonzalezs utility role and we could call up Tyler White who also could try and fill that role

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That deal violates your own Alveraz rule.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I love the idea of adding Solar... toolsy...

4. HTown2017Champs

I'd be fine with Alvarez for Hand. Hand is a solid reliever, closer material, left handed, and under team control for a while. Got plenty of depth in the OF prospects, and Alvarez's injury sounds potentially concerning as he's been out for a while.
    I love that trade! Solar is great, Herrera gives us a dominant closer, and Duffy can be moved to the rotation come 2019 (when Keuchel leaves), to keep it from being all RHP. And, we get rid of Sipp, Paulino, Reed, and Fisher, while keeping Davis!

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't see the Astros adding 46 million in payroll over 3 years for Duffy to get Herrera and Solar. The Astros would rather pay the price with prospects than eat a big fat contract carrying a 6.88 ERA

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Don’t like it. Take out Alvarez and it gets interesting; no way I include him in a deal that doesn’t include a cost controlled star player. But I also don’t think there’s a place for Duffy and I’m not high on Soler. I would try to get Herrera and Jay for 2-3 second tier prospects (Davis, Paulino, and Fisher?).

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think Solar and Herrera are the two to add.
    DUFFY is doing so bad at the moment that he would be a nice add to let Strom work with him.
    It would almost certainly have to have Alveraz apart of the deal. I get no one would want to get rid of him but Solar is a nice surprise and Herrera gives you the Bullpen arm you desire. The reason to add Duffy is for just that Keuchal walks next year. Duffy is a Lhp who could go to the pen and get online with strom and get his groove back.
    Sure you wouldn't wanna add that salary but your not playing Keuchal next year you dump off Sipp and Singeltons contract is gone.
    That should more then enough take care of that salary. Your talking about also possibly losing Gonzalez (dont care) Gattis and Morton. So the possibility to add a struggling pitcher and 2 key players would be Astronomical for the Astros in the long run

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

It's Soler man, Soler.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

no

10. prospecthugger

Herrera's Velo and strikeout rates are down from when he was an elite reliever, I don't think he's enough of an upgrade over Harris/Devo/Rondon as set up men to justify the acquisition. There's also a non zero chance the Astros get decent production down the stretch from prospects like James, Deetz, Perez, Gustave, or even Whitley to make the BP a strength. Not to mention they'll get to add a starter to the BP in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. A good lefty would be a nice add, but I'm not really worried about the Astros BP right now.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

We aren't the Yankees and can't carry 15 million in dead contracts for the chance that maybe Duffy makes a come back. Especially when it looks like we have 8 million in dead money going to Joe Smith next year.

I would rather give the money to Morton. Having a lefty in the rotation is nice, but if you have Verlander, Cole, Morton, McCullers 1-4 and then McHugh, Peacock or maybe Whitley as your number 5 next season.... I am fine having all right handed starters.

Cole, McHugh, Peacock, McCullers, Correa, Giles, and Devenski are all eligible for arbitration raises nest year. That is going to eat up a lot of the savings from losing Keuchel, Marwin, Sipp, Gattis. and McCann

12. prospecthugger

13.2 innings into his Astros career and Smith's contract is dead money?

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

GIve me deals involving KEUCHEL.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I hope he turns it around, but 11 earned runs in 13.1 innings?

If he goes on a 10 inning streak without giving up an earned run his ERA would still be 4.24. If it's not dead money it is at least a vast over pay.

15. prospecthugger

Era is not terribly predictive for any pitcher, especially relievers. He may not be the shut down arm they thought he could be, but it's way too soon to think he can't be a good middle innings reliever.

16. bobrek

The pitcher with the 20th best ERA and 21st best WHIP among all AL starters? Who would they get to replace that production? And, if you say Peacock or McHugh, then who will replace their production?

No reason to trade Keuchel unless they are out of the playoff picture.

17. bobrek

Herrera last 2 seasons - 35-41 in save opportunities
    Giles last 2 seasons - 42-46 in save opportunities

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Smith’s xFIP is 4.12, slightly off his career mark. His k rate is higher than his career avg and his bb rate is about on par with what he’s done over the years. He’s gotten bad luck with balls leaving the yard and finding gaps over a small sample. He probably isn’t the alt-closer they hoped they were signing but he’ll be a fine middle reliever or setup man thru the end of his contract next season.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL at dumbasses actually acting like Keuchel is a bad pitcher just because the rest of the rotation is so awesome.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yes ... Yes....... and YES!

If you don't plan on signing him, get rid of him.