1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I love the idea. Catcher is likely to be a big need pretty soon. Isn't Perez righthanded though? Would be a great Gattis replacement when he walks as a FA next year. However McCann and Perez would be a ton of money tied up at catcher in 2019 (~$29M). Really need one of the minor league catches to work out (Stassi, Centeno, Stubbs, new Cuban signing).

2. Buck Turgidson

If I'm reading his contract right, there's no way McCann's team option in '19 will vest automatically. He'd need 601 PAs this year to make 1000 over the 17-18 seasons.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Perez would be absolutely perfect for this team.

I would sign off on that in a heart beat.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Definitely how it read on Cots, and that tends to be the best source around. And there is zero % chance of him getting 600 PAs.

5. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not against it, but Perez is a right handed hitter. Unless you're point was that he hits left handed pitching better.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

a more obvious article, one could not write. might as well say we're not going to trade for stanton while you're at it.

7. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I thought it was just 90 games.

Catcher is a HUGE need after next year then...

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If I'm reading it correctly, Astros will have option for 2019. Him coming up short in PA seems to make it such that it doesn't vest automatically and McCann having a player option.

9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Would you pay 15M for McCann? I wouldn’t but I see no obvious replacement at the moment....

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure it is 1000 plate appearances in 2017+2018 AND catch 90 games in 2018 AND not end 2018 on the DL.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

15 million looks close to a fair deal. If Astros feel good about picking up a catcher long term in free agency next year, no. If not, keeping McCann on a reasonable deal for a year wouldn't be bad provided he's healthy after next year.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$15M for McCann is a decent value if he’s healthy and produces similar to what he did this year, and i would imagine they’d pick that option up. Yasmani Grandal and Wilson Ramos are the 2 other starting caliber free agent catchers after next season.

I don’t know why I thought Perez was left handed. So that lessens the fit for 2018 but still feel he’d be a great trade target.

Joe Joe likes this.
  13. juicystream

$15M is not an option we pick up on a 35 year old catcher.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It will depend more on his health more than a hard rule about age.

15. juicystream

Its about age, position, and performance and what that value is on the open market.

16. rockets13champs

if u really want a warriors effect in MLB astros should spice things up and trade for Judge.. Astros will become the warriors of the MLB... We need to somehow lose to Dodgers in 7 Games then Judge will join us after another 7 game ALCS vs Yankees. In 2019 Astros will go undefeated in postseason

17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom of our lineup was very easy to get through in the playoffs by bringing in a lefty reliever. I don't think we need any more left handed hitters in our lineup just for the sake of being left handed.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Obviously you have to qualify this, if a move too good to pass up presents itself you take it.

Having said that, I really don't think we should make any significant incoming trades this offseason. Our farm is starting to thin out right now. The WS title gives the front office some major breathing room, so we can think bigger picture without having to carry around that elephant sized "for god sakes, anything for just one" desperation.

The only real hole is the bullpen, and even that has some nice potential in house options, I would rather we hold on to our trade assets. We're gonna need to start getting some cheap MLB labor pretty soon. Being really good and having our international bonus tapped out means adding prospects is gonna be harder than ever.

Major, Joe Joe and jim1961 like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only signficant trades I could see are for a reliever, catcher, or for a hitter with a lot of club control or 4+ years on contract at low salary. Hitter, catcher would be very doubtful.

I don't see Astros trading a Top 100 prospect.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Let’s raid the Rays:

Astros get:
    SP Chris Archer
    RP Alex Colome
    RP Jose Alvarado
    OF Cory Dickerson

Rays get:
    SP Forrest Whitley
    SP Francis Martes
    OF Kyle Tucker
    OF Derek Fisher
    3B Colin Moran
    SP Collin McHugh

Resulting opening day roster:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Dickerson
    1B Gurriel
    LF Marwin
    RF Reddick
    C McCann

Bench: Gattis, White, Marisnick

Rotation: Verlander, Keuchel, Archer, Morton, McCullers
    Bullpen: Peacock, Hoyt, Musgrove, Devenski, Harris, Giles, Alvarado, Colome

Makes sense for Houston because they’d basically have a dream team and Archer, Alvarado, and Colome are long term players. Their farm would be completely decimated (although they’d still have Bukauskas, Paulino, and Alvarez) so this move only makes sense if they see no way they can extend any of their current core and they don’t have much faith in the farm to replace them, as that would leave them no choice but to maximize this window.

Makes sense for Tampa because it clears payroll and gets them an entire new core to build around. Sadly, this package may not be enough for both Archer and Colome. Tampa has Boxberger who can slide into the closer role, and by adding McHugh along with Martes and Whitley to all the young pitching they already have, their rotation would be nearly as competitive as it was with Archer (not to mention McHugh gives them another potential trade chip if they fall out of it). They’d still have Kiermaier, Longoria, Ramos, and Souza as trade chips or a lineup to build around. Adding Tucker, Moran, and Fisher to their other young position player prospects (Adonis, McKay, Bauer’s) gives them an extremely bright future similar to what the Royals has years back.

Obviously the chance of a trade like this happening are closer to 0% than 1% but it’s fun to think about how many games that Astros team would win.