1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Wade Miley

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Jan 31, 2019.

1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Can y’all imagine DK getting less money than CFM this offseason.

2. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

So are we going to the World Series?

3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Go on the DL? Sure, we have the depth to sustain that. Loss for the season? Well, even Keuchel wouldn’t be able to repair that kind of damage.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For what we need him to be this is a great signing with some possible upside.If he can even give us an ERA in the low 4's that would be perfect for some safe, competitive innings which we need with all our unproven young arms. Not at all inconceivable he could be sub 4. Worst case he eats some innings while we're waiting for Whitley and possibly Bukauskas and Corbin.

For as great as LMJ and DK's pedigrees are, their actual combined ERA was only about 3.8.

#44 sealclubber1016, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Worst case is batters adjust (or Chirinos doesn't frame low pitches well) and he's back to a 5+ ERA like 2017. Basically, I'm expecting him to perform a little worse efficiency than Peacock, but more innings. He gives Astros depth in case of injuries as Astros now have Peacock back in pen as an emergency starter. Unless Miley has a second freakishly good year with his cutter, I'm not sure he's on playoff roster.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

These days an "only" 3.8 ERA is good enough for top 20 in the AL.

lnchan, The Beard, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Loss for the season? I can’t imagine what would be more helpful to reduce that risk than a quality MOR pitcher who can soak up innings, has potential TOR performances, and allow Hinch Verlander and Cole to ease off their starts and pull them at 6 innings 95 pitches as opposed to 7 innings and 105-110.

The Beard likes this.
  8. Screaming Fist

I think Diaz is pretty equal to Marwin, but is a better value. Also, I doubt McHugh pitches as well as Morton did last season. The slider will obviously help him, but losing a few ticks on his fastball over the past four years I don't see him having the season of his career as a SP in 2019, which he would need to have in order to equal 2018 Morton. Whitley clearly has the stuff to surpass Morton, but he hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors yet. Predicting James to equal LMJ is also a pretty optimistic prediction, but James does have a lot of upside.

It looks like the Astros are fairly content with where they are given the lack of premium competition in the division, and are choosing to to give themselves greater flexibility for spending down the road (hopefully this is the case, anyway).

The Beard likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros couldn't get one of their targets to bite on a second year team option huh?

I'm glad they added a solid MLB arm.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. conquistador#11

miley will have an era of .00009 and will seek 15 mil after being submitted to our advanced alien technology pitching machine. Granted, I've never seen him pitch or heard of the guy.

awc713 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Here's a little more on how Miley revamped his pitching style last season:

So, how did Miley do it? How did he go from a pitcher who couldn’t throw enough strikes to one who went 5-2 with a 2.57 ERA during a season truncated by groin and oblique strains? How did he lower his walk rate from 5.3 per nine innings to 3.0?

The simple answer is that Miley, 31, discovered the “cut” fastball, or cutter, as it is known in baseball circles. It is an en vogue pitch that has transformed the careers of many pitchers but was particularly crucial for Miley because it gave him a pitch he could bury in on right-handed hitters, sawing off their bats.

Brewers third baseman Mike Moustakas watched with envy as Miley induced one weak grounder after another to the left side of the infield.

“Every time he gets in trouble, he gets into a tough spot, he goes to that cutter,” Moustakas said. “He’s got a lot more confidence in it, and it’s a great pitch. I see that at third base all the time because I’m getting most of those groundballs he’s been getting. There’s not too much firm contact; (instead) a lot of soft contact over the top.”

Last season, Miley threw his fastball 53 percent of the time, according to FanGraphs. This year, he has thrown it a mere 20 percent of the time, while throwing cutters at a 42 percent rate. Miley also is using his curveball and changeup more, trying to keep hitters off-balance.

In short, Miley is not the same pitcher he was a year ago, when he constantly played in traffic (1.729 WHIP). Just as important as the change in pitching style is the total conviction in doing so, with no looking back.

“It’s different for sure because I always had more of an attack mentality,” Miley said. “Here it is, hit it. Throw as hard as you can. Now, it’s kind of back off and try to cat-and-mouse it more, I guess you could say.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...self-help-brewers-make-postseason/1530467002/

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is what so many don’t understand

To think all these young guys will automatically do what Keuchel and Morton and Lance did is nuts in my opinion..I hope they do, just scary to count on it

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I expect Kyle Tucker to be on the big league roster... he has Bregman-esque surge written all over him.

15. The Beard

I’m not quite to that level of confidence on him yet

But my God if he breaks out and Correa returns to full health/production

This offense could set records

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say odds are very good Whitley will be at that level by 2020. Injury/suspension is his biggest risk. James will likely be able to have an ERA like that or less at least in a relief role with a decent chance to be a starter. If James makes it as a LMJ level starter, Astros are likely in a very good position going forward versus other teams. Others a lot more risk and the standard it takes 5 pitching prospects to get 2 starters, but have a lot of guys that should end up as relievers if they fail as starters.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

All these young guys?

McHugh is 31 and Miley 32. We are talking about one slot in the rotation being filled by "young guys" and that is only if they beat out Peacock.

There is a reason Keuchel isn't signed yet. He wants more money than every team has been willing to give him so far. I want the Astros to have at least 10 million in salary available for the deadline. You never know who is going to get hurt or under perform. Unless Crane changes his mind on going over the luxury tax threshold, signing Keuchel would limit our ability to add salary at the deadline. In the past 2 seasons the Astros added several players including Verlander, Osuna, and Pressly at the deadline. Not being able to make those moves would have likely resulted in both seasons ending before they did.

RocketToVegas and Jake Tower like this.
  18. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Luhnow announced Miley as a starter. I guess that removes any doubt about his role.

If that is the case, I absolutely do not want Keuchel back, blocking James’ development.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. The Beard

Yes, all these young guys. I realize those two guys are over 30, but even if They both do well we need a 5th starter AND starters to cover for injuries that are extremely likely to happen. And need to replace McHugh in the pen

As for the deadline, if we have 10 million to spend, that basically allows for a 30 million dollar player at the deadline as you are taking on a 3rd of their contract

And obviously you are right as to why Keuchel hasn’t signed yet, and if it takes 4/80 then heck no I want no part of it...but if 2/38 plus an option gets it done, 2019 becomes a LOT better team immediately