1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Wade Miley

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Jan 31, 2019.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

You’d have to extend Cole too. Both he and JV are FA’s after this season.

2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Wade made a smart decision betting on himself at 32 years old by joining this roster. We all know Strom most likely will give him a little boost. The defense is solid and he should get some more postseason run if he is healthy and effective.

If he reverts back to pitching like 2017 he'll be gone. Hopefully he turned a corner... at least for a year.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Diaz > Marwin
    Brantley > Gattis
    Chirinos > McCann
    Miley < Keuchel
    McHugh/Whitley = Morton
    James = McCullers
    Pressly/Osuna > Smith/Sipp

This team is better than last year. Possibly by quite a bit. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sign a decent reliever.

cmlmel77 and IowaAstro like this.
  4. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Diaz = Marwin
    Brantley > Marwin/Kemp
    Chirinos = McCann/Maldonado
    Miley > Sipp, but < than Keuchel
    McHugh=McHugh, but less than Morton
    We hope James > McCullers
    Pressly > Devenski
    Osuna > Giles
    White=White

I think LF and the bullpen are significantly better than what we had entering 2018; the bench has improved as well; the DH may be in for regression; the starting rotation is still a significant downgrade.

Overall, we stay extremely competitive. We need a player or two to put us over the top.

cmlmel77 and LonghornFan like this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I mean I hope y’all are right on the James is greater than McCullers deal

But damn, he is gonna need to prove it a little bit more for me to make that assumption

No Worries and Stros4me like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I like where we are. We still have all our prospects to make moves at the deadline. In the meantime we are still the favorites in our division and can let some of the young guys get a chance to play.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Yup. Hate seeing the writing on the wall for DK and Marwin, but such is life. It’s the shrewd move we all knew was coming. The fact that our farm is stacked and our payroll is still flexible is the icing on the cake. JL has built an absolute beast of an organization. We’re showing no signs of slowing down outside of expected losses than were bound to happen.

I’m really looking forward to Miley working with Strom. Honestly I’m a bit biased, but when it’s all said and done, Miley and Brantley could be two of the best pickups of the offseason all things considered.

#27 awc713, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

McCullers is like an old exotic car. His stuff looks amazing, but he's always in the shop. In 3 full seasons he's never started more than 22 games or thrown more than 130 innings, and you can make that 4 seasons since he isn't pitching this year. Obviously, the guy means a lot to the city since he contributed so much to the World Series run and pitched last season when he needed Tommy John surgery.

I expect Josh James to pitch more than 130 innings this season with a sub 4 ERA. So I think he can fill most of McCullers' shoes this year.

Shark44 likes this.
  9. right1

right1 Member

Miley allowed only 3 home runs in 80.2 IP last year. Wow!

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Great value signing but to me he's just a guy to get innings which is fine. If he continues off of last year it'll be an excellent pick up.

raining threes likes this.
  12. The Beard

Sign me up for 130 innings of a sub 4 for sure. I just don't think he is anywhere close to a sure thing to do that. It's obvious he is capable, and i sure hope he does...

I'm hoping we sign Keuchel as our #3, then let James and Miley and the other young guys go to spring training to win a job in the rotation. If two of them do and we can keep McHugh and Peacock in the pen, i'm loving this team. If they don't and we have to use McHugh in the rotation, and possibly Peacock there some too....we at least would have as good of a 1-3 as any team in baseball, and a solid 4/5 and pen....if we are COUNTING on James to be McCullers and our #3 and he doesn't, the domino's all fall back one spot

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Depends on the price of Keuchel and how much Crane is willing to spend at the deadline. I'm not worried about how our rotation stacks up against the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers on paper before the season starts. I want it to match up favorably after the deadline and down the stretch. Maybe our young guys step up, or maybe we trade for a Bumgarner or Greinke at the deadline. Either way, I want to have flexibility incase someone gets hurt.

14. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Comparison to other 1-2 year starting pitcher deals:

Matt Harvey 1 yr, 11 mill
    Garrett Richards 2 yr, 15 mill
    Tyson Ross 1 yr, 5.75 mill
    CC Sabathia 1 yr, 7.5 mill
    Charlie Morton 2 yr, 30 mill
    JA Happ, 2 yr, 34 mill
    Mike Fiers 2 yr, 14 mill
    Derek Holland, 1 yr, 7 mill
    Trevor Cahill 1 yr, 9 mill

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  15. The Beard

If there is one thing I’m not overly concerned about it’s Luhnow putting himself in a position to have no flexibility. We really don’t know how much more they are willing to spend, but without a doubt Luhnow will keep all of that under consideration before any more moves are made

He certainly has an idea of how easy it would be to move Reddicks salary if needed. And you also have to realize that when you are talking about deadline moves, you are only taking on a third of their salary, so adding a guy with a 21 million salary this year at that point is only adding 7 million

And I guess where I’m at is here, I’d much rather have what I feel is a legit #3 starter in Keuchel all year and hope for 1 of the guys like James, Perez, Whitley to turn into a stud, than hope for multiple of those guys to turn into really good solid pitchers THIS YEAR

I want to win it all THIS YEAR

16. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Do you really think that Keuchel is the difference between a ring and not getting a ring?

17. The Beard

I sure think he could be

But I value good, solid mlb pitching

18. HTown2017Champs

Very good! This is what I have been waiting for. Left handed starter who had a great year last year. He credits his resurgence to him learning a new pitch over the past offseason, his cutter. That sounds like what I wanted to hear (and not just him having good luck/a good defense behind him). And he was really good at keeping the ball inside the park.
    Now watch him come in like a wrecking ball and wreck opposing batters!

Jake Tower likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Have you considered the possibility that verlander or Cole might spend time on the DL? It is exceedingly rare for SP to go through a full season healthy. They are clearly horses, but great teams have depth to weather those injuries, or to give the star pitchers breaks and not have them pressured to perform everytime because the rest of the staff is slumping or unproven. Keuchel on a reasonable 2 year deal is a no brainer

Jake Tower and The Beard like this.