1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jun 20, 2017.

?

What is your starting 5?

1. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/Peacock/Fiers

22.4%
  2. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/McHugh/Peacock

26.3%
  3. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/McHugh/Fiers

26.3%
  4. Keuchel/LMJ/McHugh/Fiers/Peacock

11.8%
  5. Other

13.2%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Unfortunately I've only seen one of his recent starts, after watching every inning of his first 9.

Next time someone wants to randomly blame the hitting/pitching coach, remember this.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My understanding is that McCullers worked with him on SpinRate to make it a bit tighter.

Heavy spin rate tends to also produce a better release point.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thought Fiers had good spin already unless he just wasn't getting it this year. I do see his curveball has increased in speed 2-3 mph. McCullers throws a fast curve that is hard to hit and leads to grounders when hit.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Also heard on 'Stros broadcast that McCullers told him to put less emphasis on placing the curveball in a specific spot. Basically let the curve do the work for you and worry more about the delivery than the location.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm curious to see how Luhnow treats the bullpen. Musgrove has probably pitched his way out of the rotation, and back to AAA. With Hoyt imploding as well, I'll be curious if they keep one or both of Paulino and Martes in the majors as bullpen arms, or continue their development as starters. It'll be interesting to watch the corresponding moves as McCullers, Keuchel, Morton, and McHugh get activated. I'd guess Musgrove goes down for Lance tomorrow.

Given we're likely to need extra starters to keep the rotation fresh, I don't know if it's better to keep them stretched out, or have them up and ready with the big league team.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Hoyt is definitively a garbage time pitcher at this point. Gregerson at least has shown signs of turning it around. I would see if Musgrove can get out of this rut.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Musgrove probably punched his ticket to Fresno. Martes and Paulino are pitching better and somebody has to go for McCullers.

Havent given up on him yet but results are clear right now.

kaleidosky, BigM and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed. Musgrove may be really good one day but with other options available, he'd be better served working his issues out in Fresno.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With tired pen, I am guessing Guduan goes down and one of Martes and Musgrove provides long relief until Keuchel is back. I just can't see sending an arm stretched out to minors with current rotation.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Musgrove clearly has stuff to work on... and he's still going to keep his arm stretched out and be ready to start at the next need.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Having arm stretched out in AAA doesn't help if someone goes 2 innings 6 days from now. Granted, the next 4 days he would be useless. Would not surprise me if he doesn't pitch much in AAA until Keuchel is back so that he's available for relief.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm more focused on the fact that Musgrove is far more valuable to the Astros now as a good starter.... and he's nowhere close to that currently.

I'd rather him work on his struggles by continuing to make starts... rather than holding him out for the mythical long relief appearance that isn't guaranteed, and still has him likely to make the same mistakes.

14. mightybosstone

Keuchel, McCullers and Morton are obvious. Fiers is a veteran and has been the one constant in the Astros rotation over the last month, so I'd say he's more than deserving of that last spot as long as he doesn't revert back to his early-season performance. For the fifth spot, I'm going to continue to give Peacock the benefit of the doubt. Aside from one noticeably weak performance, he's been remarkably consistent this season. We don't even know what we're going to get out of McHugh when he comes back, but he wasn't exactly lights out last season.

If McHugh comes back, gets a chance in the rotation and proves he deserves to be there, then I'll change my mind. But in the meantime, I'm going with Peacock.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

As long as they keep using the DL to rest people there will be room for all these guys to get opportunities. I would think at some point soon after the ASB they would get away from that and let a more set rotation settle in

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

1. Keuchel
    2. McCullers
    3. Trade target
    4. Morton
    5. Peacock

I personally don't trust Fiers. No idea why I trust Peacock and not Fiers, but something about Peacocks performance screams "real" to me

Fiers could be trade bait, or maybe a long man if they are moving Devo to more of a 1 inning role as it seems

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Both of them are putting up very real results right now. Mike Fiers new pitching style has made him a major ground ball pitcher, and his K/BB has always been solid. He is pitching to contact, and getting ground balls, which is leading to longer outings and very few long fly balls. You don't trust Fiers because he sucked for a few months, but the change in approach, and results are extremely real. Granted he's not sub-2 ERA good like he has been over the last month, but he is pitching like a good MLB starter, and this approach should lead to sustained success.

Peacock is pitching like an ace on a per inning basis, but his success is based on striking people out, and he's always had a high walk rate. He also seem to be a pitcher whose stuff seems to fall off with high pitch counts. Because of the K's and BB's, he runs up high pitch counts early and starts to wobble around the 5th. One alternative would be to pitch a little more to contact, but hitters tend to hit Peacock hard when they do put the ball in play.

Over the last month they have both made 5 starts, yet Fiers has thrown 7 more innings. Peacock is pitching better when he does pitch, but he's pitching quite a bit less than Fiers per outing. I personally prefer Fiers because his approach works better as a starter, and Peacock's approach works much better as a reliever. Fiers becomes a mediocre relief pitcher, or garbage long man if moved to the pen.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Love the idea of Peacock as Devo Pt. 2. Would make the bullpen even more dynamic and flexible than it already is.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member