1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Magic Number countdown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Sep 19, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

13 games to play and the Magic number is 12.

GO STROS !!

DD

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know if it was too early to start talking about magic numbers or not, but I'm glad DD started the thread. What's got me worried is how our rotation lines up in case there is a need for a one-game playoff at the end of the year in the event of a tie. From my projections, (and granted, I'm most intimate with the Astros rotation) with one day off, we have the possibility of skipping Wandy's spot that would normally fall on the 28th of August against the Cubs. That would allow us to throw our top four pitchers on full rest against the Cubs: Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, and Backe. However, that would leave us vulnerable in the event of a one-game playoff since Wandy would start that game.

The Marlins and Phils both have two days off (each being off today) so I can't tell what their rotation will be like. My best guess for the Marlins rotation is: Burnett, Vargas, Willis, Beckett, Valdez. And the Phils have me totally confused, because I count them having six starting pitchers (don't have time to verify): Floyd(?), Myers, Lieber, Padilla, Brito, Lidle(?). I'm not sure why ESPN has Floyd scheduled to start Tuesday instead of Lidle, is Lidle injured? He last pitched on the 14th.

But, if each of the teams skip a starter at the end of the year, the Marlins could have Beckett and the Phils could have Lieber available to start the one game playoff.

If I'm the Stros, unless I have a chance to clinch early on against the Cubs, I don't skip Wandy and let him pitch on extra rest to start the four game series. That way, I'd have Backe available (on extra rest) to pitch in the extra game with the knowledge that he did pitch (and hit) the stros into the playoffs against Colorado last year and his last playoff apperance resulted in a one-hit win over the Cardinals.

What would y'all do?

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

you accumulate as many wins as you can and forget a playoff. The Marlins and the Phillies both have to play Atlanta who could still fall into the wild-card race with bad showings.

Try and sweep the Pirates. Be respectable against the Cubs. The Cards will roll over given that they'll want to set up for the playoffs.

As odd as it seems, if we take care of business against the Pirates, we could actually be looking to set up our rotation for the playoffs by the final Cubs series.

4. kevwun

kevwun Member

The cardinals want the Astros to make the playoffs. That way they'll get whatever joke comes out of the west in the first round.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

there was a reason the last thread disappeared. BAD Karma

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

be careful what you wish for :)

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Uhh, sorry I don't listen to Jim Rome and don't believe in that Karma crap.

8. DaDakota

There is no bad Karma....how about POSITIVE THINKING !!

GO ASTROS !!!

DD

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If that was the case, the Astros would have folded the team or moved to Las Vegas already.

10. desihooper

Supporting Member

9/20/2005
    Astros Win!!
    Phillies Lose!!
    Marlins Lose!!

Magic Number to eliminate the Phillies = 10
    Magic Number to eliminate the Marlins = 9

11. DaDakota

Magic number = 10.

Any combination of Astros wins and Phillies loses gets us in...

DD

12. desihooper

Supporting Member

That's what I said :D

Two more wins this series will be HUGE!

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im loving every moment of this because its all just a big "F*CK YOU!" to Beltran.

Go 'stros!

14. DaDakota

Yes, but I did it like this....

(Moves hands in nice sweeping sideways motion.)

:)

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, if Newsday's 'trade' of Manny for CB actually went down, who wins -- The Metsies or The BoSox?

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I would be the big loser if that trade went down. Im in Boston now, so the last thing I would need is for Red Sox Nation rooting for Carlos. That would suck.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, you prefer Manny being Manny?

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I hope Manny plays for the 'stros next year along with Barry Bonds. We'll have the worst characters in baseball and we will win.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Boy does he look dumb for leaving. He might have gotten more cash in NY but he thought the Stros were gonna suck and now they are close to going to the playoffs back to back years for the first time since 98, 99.

20. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Agreed. I bet he was assured with the signing of Pedro, they were destined to make the playoffs. He must of forgot he was signing a contact with the freakin Mets. They always look good on paper, but fold at gametime. :cool: