1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros AAA going back to Round Rock

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nachobar, Jul 16, 2016.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Any update on this?

2. Buck Turgidson

It will happen. Maybe not next year (I don't recall all the particulars), but it will happen.

I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

RKREBORN likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Affiliation with Rangers ends at end of this year so Astros should be back there in 2019.

No Worries and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Total rumor, but I spoke with someone affiliated with the Ryan’s bank, and that person told me they will be the Astros affiliate next year.

raining threes likes this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

Would rather have San Antonio, honestly (bigger city, no major college team to compete with, most non-Texans probably don't know where Round Rock is), but anywhere in TX>>>>>anywhere in CA, obviously. I heard the reason why the team is in Round Rock and not Austin is because UT did not want that, is that true?

SugarLandFan likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

OK.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

San Antonio is barely bigger than Austin. And I doubt many people know where Pawtucket is either. Doesn't really matter.

8. Buck Turgidson

San Antonio has has a minor league team since the Texas League started, sometime in the 1880's.

9. HTown2017Champs

Austin has been catching up to San Antonio, yes. I also think that San Antonio is more convenient for us, and Round Rock more convenient for Arlington, based on distances, though the RRE does have strong Astros ties, and shares the railroad theme with Minute Maid Park. Speaking of which, maybe bring back Junction Jack and the Brick Red for Round Rock?
    Pawtucket: Should have kept the name Rhode Island Red Sox, that would make more sense, or change to Providence.
    This, plus I think ours in San Antonio and Arlington's in Round Rock is more convenient based on distance. Plus, as I said, (re-)establishing a strong fanbase in San Antonio would be nicer (Austin is more college fans) would be sweet, can;t concede Bexar County to the Rangers.

10. Buck Turgidson

Huh?

Huh?

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. msn

msn Member

Flippin' necrobump. I thought a deal was done when I saw the title. :)

12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

[QUOTE
    This, plus I think ours in San Antonio and Arlington's in Round Rock is more convenient based on distance. Plus, as I said, (re-)establishing a strong fanbase in San Antonio would be nicer (Austin is more college fans) would be sweet, can;t concede Bexar County to the Rangers.[/QUOTE]

San Antonio is San Diego's AA affiliate. So there's no chance that San Antonio would somehow become our AAA affiliate. If the Astros switch AAA affiliates it will definitely be for Round Rock.

13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

San Antonio is San Diego's AA affiliate. So there's no chance that San Antonio would somehow become our AAA affiliate. If the Astros switch AAA affiliates it will definitely be for Round Rock.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Probably also worth noting that San Antonio is about to move up a to AAA, while the existing AA team is moving to Amarillo.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I actually do think the plan is for the Rangers to buy a AAA franchise and move it to San Antonio, with the Missions moving or folding. Having their AA affiliate in Texas does San Diego no good so there’s no reason for them to fight that move, and the Rangers having both high level affiliates nearby (like they’ve had with Frisco/RR and like Houston will have with Corpus/RR) is a big plus.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who gives a s***? Plus, if you've spent any significant amount of time in San Antonio, it's already an Astros town. There are few areas that are rangers supported outside of DFW. Greater Austin became one when they switched over but they'll switch immediately back.

The Ryan family isn't going to have the Express with the rivals any longer than they're contractually bound to...which is through the end of this season. The Express will be the Astros affiliate once again, just as it should be.

Snake Diggit and RKREBORN like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I always thought it’d be cool if Houston could have affiliates in Austin, San Antonio, Corpus, and New Orleans to lock down the whole region. The Midwest league presents too many weather problems so I wouldn’t mind seeing that league split up to allow southern teams to have another Texas league. And the Carolina league team could relo to Louisiana although that’s less realistic.

The Rangers could have Frisco, OKC, and west Texas.

MadMax likes this.
  18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes San Antonio is moving to AAA and building a new stadium. We went to a day game there last summer and I honestly don't know how no one died from heat stroke. it was blazing hot and no breeze. We happened to visit with one of the team interns for a good while. He was telling us that they were about to announce the move and that the FO people were really happy about it. The Missions ownership also owns several other teams, includin gthe Colorado Springs team that will be moving there.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I can't wait for this to happen. Used to go to Express games regularly before the swap to the Rangers. I live close enough to watch the Friday night fireworks from our backporch.

HAYJON02 likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I lived off of Sam Bass and would go to roughly 20 games or more per year when they were with us. That Kids Club pack was an awesome deal. I'd buy one for each kid ($15 ea) and you'd get 4 tickets to 5 games of your choosing. Once they switchend, I only went when OKC came to town (I left before they moved it to Fresno).

Rashmon likes this.