1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I usually glance at the stuff he posts but now that he admits he does not even read them 1st, why should I?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are a really weird dude?

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again this idea that it's the economy or lockdown is somewhat of a false dichotomy. To what extent the lockdowns have worked I agree is an open question but from what I've seen they do appear to have worked somewhat. Remember the idea was never to absolutely stop the disease. Not even in Wuhan which did have a lockdown like what RayRay10 described was the disease completely stopped. It was to slow transmission enough to so that our healthcare system could keep up with it. In many states that does appear to be the case and it very well might be that even though we're still seeing infections along with deaths rise we haven't seen the steep climb of deaths like we did in the early days.

Obviously lockdowns of any sort will hurt the economy but having a lot of people sick and dying at a rate that is overwhelming our medical structure would also hurt our economy too. At least with a lockdown we have some control over how we shutdown the economy versus just leaving it to the virus to decide.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nope. not working this fall, taking three months to bird hunt in the U.P. and elsewhere. ;)

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What the flaw is in these papers and articles is the inclusion of countries that either A. Didn't have a chance to put in precautions as they were flooded with cases before they knew it (Italy, Spain, France), or included countries that had the opportunity to prevent cases, but didn't do so until it was too late for mass deaths (UK, Ireland come to mind).

This is a question of intellectual honesty here,.

For example, let's say Biden gets elected, and let's say he clears the cases up within 4 months of his presidency through a strict lockdown (unlikely but just a hypothetical) would it then be fair to say "HEY look, America had this crazy strict lockdown but still had so many deaths!". No, I don't think so because so many deaths would be before the lockdown happened.

The same type of dishonesty, but not a hypothetical - New York got flooded with cases before it was able to react, didn't have the test set up, never put in precautions with public transportation, mass infection was rampant before they locked down. Is it fair to say "HEY look, NY had so many deaths despite a strict lockdown!". No, again I don't think so, those deaths were inevitable due to the spread pre-lockdown.

Countries that locked down in time, we can see clear examples of, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Malaysia, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Singapore, Slovakia, Czech, Slovenia, Uruguay, Greece, Lithuania, Estonia.

Then the question begs for the countries that locked down late - like Italy, Spain, France, UK, what would have been the death toll if they never locked down? Why isn't the "one could never know" ideology applied to this thought?

Is it really "articulately hesitant" to believe lockdowns don't prevent deaths? Or is that "inarticulate certainty" based on manipulations of data without context? To me this one of those things that kind of simple, the stricter the lockdown, the more precautions are taken, the fewer interactions people have, the fewer cases people contract, the fewer deaths people suffer.

The question is what is the correct balance of lockdown vs accepted deaths, not whether lockdown prevents deaths. Also, like you mentioned @rocketsjudoka, it can even be a false choice of lockdown vs economy loss, due to the reality that a lot of people just won't go out during a pandemic.

#3007 ThatBoyNick, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. We have to compare the numbers from lockdown and be careful about mixing in pre-lockdown numbers to assess how well a lockdown works.

Also following up regarding lockdown versus the economy that tradeoff didn't work in Sweden. They not only have more cases and deaths than neighboring and comparable countries their economy is also suffering.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nomy-posted-record-slump-during-pandemic-peak

ThatBoyNick and RayRay10 like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sweden now has the highest unemployment rate amongst Nordic countries, up +7%. Their GDP is doing slightly better than Norway's, which I believe had an 11% loss, but was the much higher death rate, and loss in employment worth it? I don't think so either.

This tweet in that article is a good example of what I was talking about

Comparing Sweden to Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, UK, is ridiculous considering the context, from cases to economic impacts. Germany is a slightly better comp, but the best ones would be Norway, Denmark, and Finland.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bergqvist is an idiot.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah and RayRay10 like this.
  14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Honestly, the tweet is right that the jury is still out. We won't know who did the right thing for years.
    One possibility is that America is "dealing with" the virus fastest and will get past it first: we're doing a Normandy invasion with massive death toll.
    But, if a vaccine comes pretty soon, it's pretty dumb to die today huh?
    If herd immunity is impossible, these deaths are 100% useless.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The moving trump hotspot...

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What???? Governor DeWine is asymptomatic.......

Everyone knows it's safe to go to work and school with asymptomatic people. That's the whole foundation of our national strategy.
    Unless . . . it's actually not safe. . . .

17. NewRoxFan

My gosh... it was like pulling teeth...

18. NewRoxFan

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I found this webcam page with 3 cams from Sturgis. It's going to be interesting once this thing kicks off and all the bikers get there. I was watching a hotel webcam on the main street, which scans around. One view showed all the people coming up and down the sidewalk in front of all the shops and bars. Not a single mask on any of them.

It's just crazy to me how all these people can so blatantly not give a damn. What a selfish bunch of people. Just think, after 10 days of mingling the thousands will ride away, and carry their virus all around the country.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_c76cccb4-959a-563e-bae1-63d733dd46dc.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yet you didn't say a peep when the BLM protesters and looters where out there not social distancing...