1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artificial Sweeteners Are Toxic To Digestive Gut Bacteria, Study Finds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Oct 5, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Artificial Sweeteners Are Toxic To Digestive Gut Bacteria, Study Finds

According to a study published in the journal Molecules, researchers found that six common artificial sweeteners approved by the FDA and 10 sport supplements that contained them were found to be toxic to the digestive gut microbes of mice. CNBC reports:

cebu, seclusion, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  2. No Worries

I screwed up the title and can not figure out how to edit it :( Oh well.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Which ones did they test?

I stopped using things with artificial sugar a while back. It was mostly in the occasional pre workout drinks or protein bars.

4. GIGO

GIGO Member

Look for "Thread Tools" in upper right side above your op. Click on it and select "Edit Title."

No Worries and heypartner like this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thank god I'm not a mouse! Still in the clear and ready to guzzle those diet cokes.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Unpopular opinion / hot take: Just wean yourself off sugary drinks, and take your tea / coffee without sugar.

You'll lose weight and become healthier, little by little.

CCity Zero, ryan_98 and Sajan like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Artificial sweeteners don't deserve an A grade.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Saccharine has been used by large masses of people for over 100 years with no ill effects. Considering that and the idiotic scares over the years that were all disproven, who gives a care about another mouse experiment?

Someone explain to me why this isn't nonsense. How much actual human consumption does it take before lab experiments with mice aren't needed? Will another 100 years be enough?

Rodman23 and Roxnostalgia like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That’s like saying gluten or cow milk has no ill effects since ppl have been eating/drinking it for centuries...when in fact Lactose intolerance is a thing, for some ppl

I took the study as saying ppl sensitive to maintaining ideal gut microbial balance, might want to try not using the stuff for awhile. I didn’t take it as you could die or get cancer, directly related to using the stuff, and we need to ban the stuff. But they are saying disruption of gut microbial balance can lead to pre-diabetic states of “glucose intolerance.”

#10 heypartner, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    No Worries likes this.
  11. No Worries

Outstanding!

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Wait this wasn't even performed on actual gut bacteria. It was 3 different strains of e. colli. Further, it was done In Vitro.

And from what I can find, Molecules looks suspiciously like a predatory journal.

13. Buck Turgidson

Artificial sweeteners are terrible because they taste terrible.

Rashmon, the11mingdynasty and A_3PO like this.
  14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I haven't been messing with this junk for a while...it's nasty too. I don't know why people do it.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

e. coli isn't a good bacteria anyways. it is harmful to society and has killed many. if artificial sweeteners can help combat this menace i'm all for it.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Went an entire month without soda. I lost four pounds If i recall, with out doing a thing.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

E. coli is a normal gut bacteria. There are good and bad strains, just like any other bacteria.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This just isn't as fun as being the experimental mouse... But it's better than high sugar or artificial sweetener etc..

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, he's not serious on his post... But maybe it's good to inform others so it doesn't start the next chemtrail type tinfoil ground zero...

20. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

My wife and I do Whole30 about 3 times a year. Cutting sugar has kind of become second nature to where when we finish with the cleanse, we don't really ever add it back. I've noticed a big difference. I always feel so much better when I refrain from sugar, dairy, and grains.

I firmly believe that we are going to keep discovering how important gut health actually is. I've read an article recently referring to the gut as the body's second brain. Be mindful of what you eat and what it does for your gut. Make sure to take probiotics.