1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article: nymag.com "Why the Bernie Movement Must Crush Beto O’Rourke"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Mar 11, 2019.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cml750 likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I've never heard of this publication before honestly, but a theme you'll hear about in the coming months will be these "Bernie or Bust" hardcore supporters who are a real big problem for the party, and do not represent the electorates highest interests. They care more about Bernie being the Dem nominee than they do with actually winning the presidency.

Over the past few months, poll after poll shows that the #1 trait above all with Dem voters is the ability to beat Donald Trump. These Bernie purists don't put that interest above their own fixation on Bernie alone as a messiah figure. I don't think they are as bad as Trump fans obviously but they can still treat him too much like a messiah figure.

Most Dems want the primary to be about a debate of ideas, and the best candidate rising to the top over the coming months. The electorate needs to be inspired, and motivated to turn out to vote & knock on doors in a grass roots style effort. Anyone who tries to shortchange that process by attack ads and dirty tricks should be universally condemned in the party.

And that includes Bernie who owes it to the American people to make sure his campaign leaders run his campaign the right way, and don't get to the top the way Trump did in 2016 with dirty tricks, and splitting the party a million different ways. The Democrats don't have the electoral college curve like Trump did. Without overwhelming turnout in key states for the nominee, Trump will win again even if Bernie wins the nomination.

cml750 likes this.
  4. dobro1229

And FYI... I generally like Bernie actually. His general aspirations are great, but I certainly don't see him as the messiah figure alot of his supporters see him as. If he wins the nomination I'd gladly support him in an effort to beat Trump.

I just think as a president he wouldn’t be able to get as much done as someone like Amy K. or Biden would.

With healthcare, Bernie wouid be Medicare for all or bust, and I don’t think there are the votes to pass that as I think with a Biden or Amy K., they wouid immediately be able to shore up the ACA, and get some initial expansion of Medicare in more states that need it. I think you’d end up having more people ensured in their presidency than you wouid with Bernie.

Just one example where I think others might be more effective than Bernie.

#4 dobro1229, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

cml750 likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

Thanks for your honest assessment of this. I think you are spot on with much of this. Ron Paul had a lot of the same type of loyal supporters as Bernie.

I will not get into the parts I disagree with because they are not relevant to the thread.

#6 cml750, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Said it before and will say it again.... Bernie scares me more than Trump...

T_Man

cml750 likes this.
  8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The reign of the Mighty Orange God Emperor shall last 1,000 years! :D But they'll have to wax him up like they did Lenin. :eek:

cml750 likes this.
  9. dobro1229

I am the walrus .... I am the Walrus .... I am the walrus...

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Goo Goo Ga Joob :D