1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza and Anderson the Bromance Continues

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Aug 31, 2018.

1. craguin

craguin Member

B-Bob likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ryan "Eduardo Najera" Anderson. . .

Like Carmelo, this guy should just retire.

Suns veteran forward Ryan Anderson finds peace collecting paycheck while doing nothing

[...]

Anderson came to Phoenix as part of an offseason trade with Houston looking to contribute in any way he could to change the culture of the Suns.

He’s gone from starting to not playing, but Anderson has tried to remain a positive influence in the locker room, particularly with the younger players.

“I’m good,” said Anderson, who is averaging just 4.5 points on a chilly 32.1 percent shooting (7-of-31 from 3) this season.

“I feel good. I’m working hard in practice trying to get the guys better. We have a lot of young talent on this team and guys that need more experience. The more time they get on the court, the better they’re going to be.”

With Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton, TJ Warren and Mikal Bridges giving Phoenix a talented young core, Anderson, 30, said he realizes he’s not a “five-year plan” for Phoenix moving forward.

Anderson has embraced the role of being a team leader and a positive force in the locker room.

“I’m willing to take a step back and elevate somebody else because it could be their opportunity,” Anderson said. “I’ve had my opportunities. I’ve had a lot of success in this league. There’s a time you kind of take a step back and realize what’s better for the group, what’s better for the team.”

Anderson remembers being a rookie for New Orleans and watching veteran teammate Eduardo Najera going all out in practice. He recently found an old quote from Najera saying he wanted to make a group of young players better, including Anderson.

A decade later, Anderson is Phoenix’s Najera.

“Right now, it’s elevating these young guys. It’s not about Ryan Anderson,” he said.

Anderson entered his 11th NBA season as a starter in the opener against Dallas, but the power forward couldn’t find the touch early. Anderson shot a woeful 11-of-31 (35.4 percent) from the field in his first five starts, connecting on just 4 of 18 3-pointers.

After playing just 22 minutes in a 21-point loss at Memphis, Anderson came out and said, “I can’t control what the coach does” when asked about his play.

“I can’t control my opportunities,” Anderson continued. “I can’t control my minutes. The last thing I want to be is a negative influence.”

Anderson started the next game, scoring a season-high 15 points at Oklahoma City, but Phoenix had dropped a fifth straight game.

So Suns coach Igor Kokoskov started Warren, who had been playing very well off the bench, in place of Anderson, in the next game against San Antonio.

Two games later, Anderson returned to the starting lineup after back spasms kept Warren out, but he only scored five and zero points, respectively, in starts against Memphis and Brooklyn.

Warren went 0-for-5 against Brooklyn, still looking stiff from the back spasms, but scored a total of 125 points in his next five games to reestablish himself as one of the Suns’ best players.

“He knows how to score the basketball and this year, he’s proved that in so many ways,” Anderson said. “When he’s aggressive, it makes this team better. His ability to shoot the ball, I didn’t know he could shoot the ball this well.”

Spending the offseason working on the form of his jumper and 3-point shot, Warren has gone from shooting 22.2 percent from 3 last season to 46 percent this season.

“He’s just playing phenomenally right now,” Anderson continued. “It’s fun to watch. Just encourage him and continue to get him in a good place because he makes this team better.”

Anderson was still playing, but he didn’t see action in Phoenix’s two-game road trip against New Orleans and Oklahoma City last week. He played seven minutes of mop-up duty in Wednesday’s 20-point win over San Antonio as his friend and fellow veteran Trevor Ariza missed the game due to personal reasons.

He’d rather be playing, but Anderson says he’s comfortable with whatever role the Suns have for him.

“He’s a vet,” Kokoskov said. “He understands whatever the team needs. He’s in a good place. We had a good conversation the last couple of days.”

Anderson appreciates those conversations as part of Kokoskov’s open-door policy.

“We’ve had conversations about staying ready and staying locked in and focused and just being there for the guys,” Anderson said. “If that’s what my role is for the rest of the season, or whatever it is, you never know what is going to happen.”

Kokoskov said it’s his job to put the players in the best positions to succeed. The first-time NBA coach isn’t certain he’s done that effectively with Anderson.

“He’s a guy who can make shots and can score 10, 15 points so quick in a quarter,” Kokoskov said. “If it’s not happening, I’m taking it personally. It’s a personal challenge for me as a coach to find out why. Be more precise with our offense, play more instinctively.”

Kokoksov said “the ball has to find” Anderson as do teammates, but his offense requires players to not only shoot and pass, but make a play with the dribble for someone else. So teams ran Anderson off the 3-point line to force him to dribble and create for others.

Anderson can do it, but it’s not his strength. He’s not a great defender and with the league going smaller and switching on defense, Anderson has not only guard smaller players, but quicker ones.

Combine all of that with Warren playing well, having the ability to guard on switches and take advantage of slower power forwards, and Anderson has found himself watching more than playing, but is being a team player.

“Guys want to play, want to be on the court,” Kokoskov said. “That’s human nature. That’s a player’s nature. We want a guy who wants to play. We don’t want guys who don’t want to play, but he’s in a good place. He’s a vet and open to proving help on whatever this team needs.”

I am a Donut and Vivi like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Keep Anderson, give us Ariza back.

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That's an insult to Eduardo Najera.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nah, he cant hit 3s when we need it... we tried ariza for several years and it wasnt working...gimme someebody that can shoot and drive ... we are highest volume 3pt shooting team in history who want to win championship why should you bring someone who cant drive cant shoot and particularly shoots bad in playoffs

6. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Lol Ariza is an embarrassingly bad rim finisher.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He shot 60-65% at rim with us - that’s not that bad

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Ariza's Net Rating is horrible
    He’s a -16.7 for the entire season! That’s 13th on the Suns’ roster.

9. Cdub37

Cdub37 Member

Anderson had his first DNP- Coaches Decision last night....15 games into the season. Hope they enjoy the next 67 games of that at $20 million.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If Ariza gets cut would he even consider us?? He could go to Golden State and easily win a championship

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ryan Anderson collecting DNP-CDs on the Phoenix Suns. LOL

They started him initially and then he got put on the bench with limited minutes and then he gets DNPs.

YET....some people really think the Anderson loss was a problem for the Rockets.

Cdub37 likes this.
  12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

13. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Have you seen him do a lay up where he had to adjust because Of a defender? Probably like 10% during these scenarios

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The GM and ownership, clearly were not on the same page.

Have to let the kids play.

Chandler gone.....Ryno will be gone....Ariza will be gone.

Let the kids develop and tank for Zion/RJ Barrett

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, the GM that traded for Anderson is no longer there. So there could be a pivot.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is a mistake. He was drafted by the New Jersey Nets, predecessor of the Brooklyn Nets.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Honestly, I'm not aware of anyone saying losing Anderson was a problem. Anderson still has fans on this forum?

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll give them Brandon Knight straight up for Ariza. They need a point guard. ;)

Swiss Roll likes this.