1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are We Witnessing the Greatest Shooting Guard in Rockets History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently. I started following the Rockets when they drafted Elvin Hayes while the franchise was still in San Diego, and the number of shooting guards that could be considered "great," or even damn good are few in number. Sure, Harden is very early in his career, but absent a serious problem with the "i" word (I'm superstitious about mentioning injuries in any way when it comes to the Rockets), he will be the greatest shooting guard we've ever had while wearing our uniform, in my humble opinion.

Who's his competition? Clyde Drexler, obviously, who won a title with the Rockets and is in the Hall of Fame. Yet Clyde was towards the end of his career, having his best seasons with Portland. If James can lead us to a single title, or hopefully multiple titles while playing at this level, I would put him ahead of Drex. Remember, this is while wearing a Rockets uniform. One could still argue that he tops the list. Who else? Calvin Murphy, another member of the Hall of Fame. Calvin was listed most often as a point guard, but anyone who watched him play knew him for what he was, a scoring guard, a shooting guard, who could also rack up some dimes. Murph, despite his size, could also defend and was tough as nails. Other than an honorable mention for Mike Newlin, who else could compare to Harden? Sweet Lew? I love the guy, but he isn't in the class of the other 3, or possibly even Newlin.

Thoughts?

2 people like this.
  2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

T-Mac was up there too until his last season. Runs from the pitch forks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Easily the best Shooting Guard to ever play for the Rockets, and honestly you could expand that to say Harden is the best wing player to ever play for the Rockets.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree that he could become better than Clyde, but he has to win a couple of titles. In any case, we are watching one of the greatest Rocket's players of all time and future Hall of Fame inductee. Can you imagine that this guy was on the bench at OKC?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who? Murph made it to the Finals. Drex won a title. McGrady had some great moments as a Rocket, but I wouldn't put him ahead of Drexler or Murphy. Harden needs playoff success, but in my opinion, he's better today than McGrady was as a Rocket.

#5 Deckard, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Deck

I would agree - I did not see Murphy play myself - that was well before my time. At least when it comes to numbers on paper I think maybe Murphy is ahead at the moment. Of course if Harden leads the team to significant playoff success including at least a title he will easily overtake Murphy.

Drexler I think its way to easy to forget how crazy good he was but his best years were in Portland where he helped lead the Blazers to two finals. I mean I think in career accomplishments regardless of what team played for I would put Drexler first but if talking about just time played for the Rockets then he still at least my eyes is first because he was critical to the 95 title run.

I think at this point though while I still feel McGrady may have had more "God Given" talent and athleticism Harden has taken over McGrady. Call it injuries to McGrady or what but the one thing I see in James that I didn't see in McGrady at least in his time in Houston was improvement year to year in some aspect of his game. The great ones always retool and add some wrinkle to their game every season constantly adapting. McGrady never did that. Harden has.

If James is able to lead this team to a title then he'll easily be the greatest rockets 2 guard in the teams history

1 person likes this.
  7. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Are We Witnessing the Greatest Shooting Guard in Rockets History?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I would say this is the greatest individual season for a Rockets SG. Of course, the grade is incomplete until we see what happens in the playoffs

10. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Definitely, I just hope he will show in the play-offs. If we get this Harden during the play-offs, the league better watch out.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yes. Harden is playing at a level above them all. If he can make some noise in the playoffs that will further his case and a championship will seal it.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we're talking tangible results, Harden hasn't yet done anymore for postseason success than McGrady had, to say nothing of Drexler and Murphy. Nor have I seen him able to match McGrady in finding the high gear in the postseason. But, he does have the luxury of time, so he may end up the best at the position when its all over.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I may get flamed for this...but I think when it's all finished...they'll be hanging #13 in the rafters...and there will be a younger generation of Rockets fans asking if Olajuwon was as good as Harden.

It's really easy to take great players for granted. Try not to. We're really lucky to get to watch a player with that level of talent play night in and night out here.

2 people like this.
  14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

McGrady was amazing. I know we don't like him for all his shenanigans but at his peak the guy was phenomenal. It was just unfortunate that his career ended because of injuries.

I think peak T-Mac and peak Harden are comparable. I don't have a firm stance one way or the other.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think Murph is his only competition. Drexler's peak years were with Portland.

I don't like comparing players from different eras because there are too many variables. Not to mention, although I've seen Murph play many times, I was only like 8 at time.

I'll take Murph's quickness, defensive ability and DEFINITELY toughness (I'll take Murph's toughness over ANYONE, actually)....but I'll take Harden's overall skill set.

Another few years like this one for Harden and you have to say Harden is the greatest Rocket behind only Hakeem.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Has to keep it up for a bit while longer, but definitely on pace to do so

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The thing that automatically sets Harden apart from T-Mac was guts. T-Mac is gutless while Harden has balls. If you foul T-Mac hard when he drives in, he starts chucking from midrange. Harden on the other hand, is relentless in driving to the basket over and over and relishes getting fouled. Harden is also extremely willing to take on a leadership role, where as T-Mac shunned it and simply wanted to fame and riches that comes with being "THE MAN" without actually being one.

1 person likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member