1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we really going to sign Cp3 to a supermax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, May 21, 2018.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Cp3 is the reason we are in this position, lol if you think signing pg and bringing beverley back would put us back in this position or even make us number 1 again then you are absouletly high.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If Capela is offered max or near max money it’ll be hard to keep everyone. Assuming a S&T for LBJ we’d be hard capped at $129m. So Anderson, Ego, and spare parts would need to be moved. Ariza could be resigned with bird rights but probably only for the $5m tax payer MLE. Again it’ll just depend on how much Capela gets paid. If it’s $25m max it’ll be real hard to keep key players unless CP3 takes a much bigger cut ($25m or less).

3. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Anderson is the most untradeable contract in the NBA. I wish I could poll all current NBA GMs on that. We're also not signing 2 small forwards for the lump sum you think we are. Some a**hole team, probably Dallas, will sign Capela to an ungodly amount we won't be able to match with LeBron coming. Unless LeBron signs at a stupid discount and CP3 reups at a stupid discount, we lose both. Bimathug, where you at?

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Beverly's injury history is even worse, why would you sign back an inferior and even more injury prone player

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Because you would be getting PG13 in his prime instead of CP3 af 34 years old.

6. mockster

mockster Member

Listen if we win the chip what can you say but I think it’s pretty clear cp3 isn’t technically worth the max looking at his age, injury probability and his performance while still great not as good at nola Paul

Stormy1234 and kjayp like this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

CP3 has 3 good years left.

He’s getting by on skill and just like many other HOF PG’s they have shown to still be very very good at 35-36.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Yes.

Who are we replacing him with? 3-5 years of old CP3 > any other option out there outside of Lebron and KD. I swear people think superstars just grow on damn trees.

D-rock, BigShasta and jcf like this.
  9. macan

macan Member

i think CP is willing to take a pay cut if we can get PG13 or Lebrick. at this stage, he wants ring more than anything else.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Pg13 doesn't impact the game the way cp3 does. He wouldn't even raise the ceiling as high as cp3 has. He's a player that add to this team not replace him over cp3

BigShasta likes this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

No argument on what you're saying... but is he still going to be 'max money' very good going forward... for the next 3 years or whatever?

I love what CP3 has brought to this team - the focus, the tenacity, the team chemistry...
    and he's had some great spurts where he's produced to an all-star level...
    but given age and injury concerns... I dont think his future production is gonna warrant max money going forward...
    not saying someone wont give him the max - there will always be a team willing to gamble on past greatness...

I might gamble on the max for 2 or maybe even 3 years... but anything beyond that and I think we're just mortgaging the future for a 2 year gamble...

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

CP will not get supermax, due to this injury if nothing else.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

Harden is going to grow with Paul. There is a reason Houston is on the verge of taking down what many people consider one of the greatest rosters/dynasties in NBA history. Its leadership, its scheme, its culture. Chris is invaluable to all of the above and if you take him off this team, the Rockets are not getting past Utah.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

Houston will basically walk in to the negotiation room and say, tell me what you want.

CP3 got that promise before he was traded here. Houston can't go back on that word, and Stephen A has even reported as much. It will be money well spent too.

CP3 may even take a pay cut for that matter if it means improving the team but you have to have that conversation.

"Chris, we would love to give you the max and we will if that is what you want. We also have the opportunity to add a piece to the team, if you were to take less in order to improve our chances to win a championship. What is most important to you?"

Leave it in his court.

But he isn't going anywhere unless he doesn't want to be here.

D-rock and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As I said, I truly respect CP's contributions and benefits regarding leadership and all... I just dont know if you can devote max money and that capspace on a longer term deal without a greater probability regarding actual oncourt productivity.... i'd be happy to spend on a short term deal - but not long term.

16. tmacfor35

But his presence has already shown it can beat the Warriors. Which is the ultimate goal.

You never know. Houston could win the WHOLE DAMN THING and Houston's championship reign goes the next three years.

You just never know what is really brewing here.

D-rock likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...m-the-Beard-to-CP3-to-LeBron-and-12958356.php

Q. Does that mean keeping Chris Paul, even with a max contract, after he has three injuries this season and is 33-years old?

A. Short answer, yes. The first injury, a bruised knee, is not really relevant. That can and does happen to players of all ages in those circumstances. The others, a relatively minor groin pull and the strained hamstring, do tend to happen under heavy workloads and to older players. (Harden also had his late in a game in which he carried an extreme load.) Paul’s playing style should age well. He does not rely on explosiveness. He doesn’t have to worry about coming down if he doesn’t often jump. But older players can be hurt more often. That is a chance the Rockets are willing to take. They saw what they are with and without Paul. There is no way they want to take the sizable step back it would be if they don’t have him. They’ll be so far over the cap that the money is not as significant as the number of years, at least not at first. But they have committed themselves to making the deal and have referred to Paul and next season as if they already have.