1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there moderate conservatives on this board?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jan 12, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Are there moderate conservatives in this forum? I am curious.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Bandwagoner maybe?

Anyways I'm sure most conservative posters have the same question for us. I'm sure they think most of us are far left.

I would say Juan Valdez is moderate with some conservative leanings and is probably the most rational poster in the D&D. I really can't peg him one way. I guess that's a good thing.

joshuaao and bnb like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

<----------------

It's a hard spot to be in. The rise in influence of talk radio extremists and now Trump make it so that anyone who isn't in line with those positions is just called a liberal.

Deckard, Cold Hard, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

MadMax, Ima2k, DaDakota to name a few.

Deckard and rockbox like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bob Dole is far left to these wingnuts. Video killed the radio star and talk radio/Fox News killed the moderate Republican.

Deckard likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Too bad they barely post here.

7. pirc1

They would be classified as libtard now. I thought I was pretty moderate in my views, but I am sure I am viewed as an extreme liberal here. This goes for Obama, who by all account is a moderate Democrat, is some how the most liberal president ever.

Deckard likes this.
  8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

robbie and bobrek come to mind if you mean fiscal conservatives.

I can't imagine it's much fun to argue along side some of the nutters though.

Deckard and bobrek like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There aren't many conservatives period, but yeah, there's a few moderates. Of course, given that this board is pretty extremely liberal overall, I'm sure they'd call even moderate conservatives extreme. I mean, this is the same board that tried to argue that Obama was a moderate or a centrist so I imagine in the eyes of this board an actual moderate liberal would be considered a moderate conservative here. As to that, I'm not sure if there are any moderate liberals here, so in the eyes of the board, I'm sure they don't see any moderate conservatives.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  10. pirc1

I mean people who use facts and logic and can see things from both sides. It seems many people on here now only argue from ideals, sort of like religion.

durvasa likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would consider myself a moderate conservative in that I'm a right leaning Libertarian that is tolerant on social issues while still being responsible fiscally. Of course, given the state of the board, it probably isn't viewed that way.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Most everyone thinks of themselves as moderate and judge the "extremism" of others in relation to themselves.

Is there an objective definition to go by?

#12 durvasa, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Invisible Fan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Who believes every minority issue is fabricated.

You forgot to leave that part out.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  14. pirc1

How is Obama extreme? Is he more extreme than LBJ, JFK, FDR? CARTER? CLINTON?

15. pirc1

You are pretty moderate, I would agree. :)

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

To me, being moderate isn't so much about where you fall in some political scale, but rather how you willing you are to consider different point of views and the possibility that you may be wrong. People are going to have different value systems and personal philosophies. But are they willing to hear out the other side and seek out where there is common agreement rather than always trying find conflict? That's what I look for in a "moderate".

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I think robbie, bobrek, valdez, justxyank, and others do that? From the lefties, bob's pretty good at trying to understand both sides (as in 'b', not 'the great' :)). I'm sure there are many others, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind in terms of whose take I'm usually most curious to read. (Feels odd singling people out -- many others I read and respect but as they tend to post a more consistently partisan point of view I haven't mentioned them here).

Just trying to keep the D&D civil.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This. I consider myself moderate because I am always open to information and do not hold to any partisan purity. I won't suddenly be opposed to global trade deals because my party has decided to take that position after 80 years, etc. I have a set of beliefs, but I make evaluations on issues based on logic and facts. I have changed my view on issues when I've been shown that I was wrong, including from things I've seen on this board.

Deckard, AroundTheWorld and durvasa like this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Do you consider yourself Alt-Left?

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Name me the principles of the 'alt-left' and I'll answer.