1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Mazdas expensive to fix?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Feb 1, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My folks owned a Mazda a decade ago and I remember them lamenting how the parts to fix it were so expensive because they were shipped from Japan. Googling today, I get hits that tell me they're cheap to fix and others that say they are expensive to fix. I also see that Mazda has 3 assembly plants in Japan and 2 in the US, though I don't know where their parts suppliers are. So, I don't know. Wisdom of the bbs, are Mazdas cheap or expensive to fix?

2. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

My mom had a 1990 626(automatic oscillating ac vents, very cool) and a 1991 929(doing its best E-class imitation). Both were used when she owned them but I do remember that they were a tad on the exotic side for parts and labor in Conroe, TX in the mid to late nineties. However, I don't know if that has changed as Mazdas are more common now but still not anywhere close as saturated as Hondas, Toyotas, or Nissans. I would jump on "partsgeek"/rock auto or similar online parts retailers and compare a couple of common parts against the same parts sold for Honda or Toyota: water pump/timing belt, O2 sensors, coils, etc.

JuanValdez and CCity Zero like this.
  3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

GF has a 2008 2.0 mazda 3 . What type of parts are you refereing too? Maintenance parts are reasonable (brakes, tune up parts, shocks).
    Greasemonkey parts seemed a little pricey. Upstream 02 sensor was about $150. I got it on fleabay for $40. Steering module was about $100. Aside from that, the car has been very reliable.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well don't really know. I'm thinking about a new car, thought about Mazda, then thought about the potentially baseless prejudice I have about them being expensive to repair. From the balance of things I read on the interwebs and the exercise @wouldabeen23 suggested, I lean toward saying my understanding was wrong.

Of course, when Trump slaps on his 20% import tax, I might rue the day I thought Mazda might be alright.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  5. jae713

jae713 Member

You can try dealerships as well. I drive a Subaru and thats where I go to get parts. Most often than not they are about the same price of buying them elsewhere. Dealerships get expensive when you have them do the work.

JuanValdez likes this.
  6. Exiled

Exiled Member

I recall Mazda having issue with frame rusts which was costly to repair , it's fixed in newer models . There're many 10-15 years Mazdas on the streets though that seems to be in decent shape

JuanValdez likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like the new Mazdas. The Cx5, the Cx9, he'll the Cx3 are all nice cars (if you're into a small car). Tried to get my wife to want a Cx5 in April, but she found a color she liked on the Rav4 and was sold.

My semi-hijack questions is, are VW's expensive to fix? My next car is either going to be a Subaru Outback or the new VW Alltrack. I love the interior on the Alltrack, and that counts for mega points. That sunroof is crazy. I probably won't buy for a year or two, though.

JuanValdez likes this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yes VW's are expensive to fix so are audi's. Those cars designers didn't think of repair-ability. Toyota and Honda's are the easiest. They literally snap apart.

JuanValdez likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Cars are not expensive to fix... If you know how and have the tools and time (even newer cars).. As long as we're not talking true exotics...

That's the problem though most people cannot do that time/know how and that's why mechanics can charge a lot for labor (even honest ones). As long as the car didn't have a catastrophic failure requiring a new block/head and more or something (is what I'm talking about). I'll tell you what a mess is that on some early 00s bmw's (I want to say 5 series) is the cheap ass plastic guides they used for the timing chain, even if the car owner stopped in time it still was roughly $3-5k to fix, go longer and it's a rebuild/new engine such a disaster... Anyway I'm using it as an example, if you're mechanical and have the time it can be fixed for ~$400-800 if you know where to look and don't wait for the engine to basically warp itself...

Anyway as for Mazda's it depends on the series and year, like if you're looking at an older one that has a rotary engine... it can sometimes be more of a project if ignored vs a conventional engine. Now if we're talking on mazda 3 or something then parts are roughly the same as any other car (domestic/Japan import). This also comes down to where you're sourcing parts. I normally recommend looking at car forums for the make/model if you're researching or curious on what other owners are using, sometimes you can find cheaper parts (amazon/ebay and others etc) as long as you did the research... Unfortunately if you don't take the time though, just like any car it can become expensive.

I'm currently doing head gasket on a Nissan (3rd car so no rush), coming out to about $250 with head work and better aftermarket gaskets/head bolts vs $1100-1500 from reputable mechanic. I finally tore into it after talking about it for awhile... Should get it done next week when I get back to it. I just don't have the time... If I had the time could turn it around quickly...

Anyway sorry for the bit of off topic, also regardless of car you get/have, joining car owner forums is a great way to get the actual service manuals. Forget those cheap Haynes ones... Haha, nothing wrong if you're new to car work, just prefer more detailed/focused info

#9 CCity Zero, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    JuanValdez and wouldabeen23 like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Good advice on the parts, I've found some excellent parts for a lot cheaper from partsgeek/Rock. I was shopping at a dealer parts/service department recently and they wanted like $65+ for a hose (that you couldn't get at autozone etc since it was specifically for the make), I was able to get the exact same hose on partsgeek for less than $15. It was ridiculous of the dealer too... there was nothing special about their hose... Other than the extra $50 :)

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Owned a Mazda3 years ago, and I liked the fact that Mazda 3s were assembled in Japan rather than Mexico. Sold mine before it started asking for money.

JuanValdez likes this.