1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appel over Bryant looking more depressing...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TMAC3, Mar 25, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Good memories. I would have had to do 200 or 300 pushups for that comment back in the day.

2. Buck Turgidson

Someone recently brought that up jokingly in a thread he was in, and he STILL thinks it was a great idea.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, Appel over Bryant hurts, but many in the media said Buxton was better than Correa and should had been selected first, well, I don't change our selection, and Twins would love to have our SS.

4. Progs

Progs Member

Swanson was drafted before Bregman. Now I wouldn't trade Bregman for anyone else in the Minors right now. Looks like a high on-base player & average hitter!

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

6. Buck Turgidson

And?

DudeWah and tellitlikeitis like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Appel with have a better backstory when we all end up on LOST together.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Water under the bridge, lets let it go.

mikol13 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You win some, you lose some. Not even mad....

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Appel is no longer an Astro and we all know they screwed up. Is it really necessary to keep bringing this up?

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Can someone lock or delete this thread? What point is there to it other than depression?

Yaosthirdleg and raining threes like this.
  14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I mean 20-20 vision says they screwed up...obviously...but if the Cubs had the first pick, how can we be so sure they wouldn't of picked Appel? He was pretty much the consensus 1st pick on most draft boards. I remember it being a tricky draft to figure out--but Appel seemed like the 'safe bet' without any clear #1 stud rising to the top. Sometimes those kinds of drafts are harder to predict and being #2 or #3 in the draft order is an advantage because you let the draft take shape for you rather than trying to shape it for everyone else.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think it's funny that both Appel and Bregman were drafted already then didnt sign and came back. Also, for those of you sad we picked Appel over Bryant, we also got Bregman and Kyle Tucker in the same year... you win some, you lose some...

CisBuds4U and Fyreball like this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not arguing that in the least bit. Just would like to move on from it and focus on what we do have. We got Bregman and Tucker instead of Appel or Bryant. If things continue to go as they have been, I'm cool with that. Let this thread die (after this post).

CisBuds4U likes this.
  17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I really want to be the last post that kills a thread! lol :eek:

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wanted Kohl Stewart...

Oops

19. PhiSlammaJamma

What's up with the yellow padded envelope in the background of the shoe picture. That's kinda out of place.

20. vince

vince Member

Same scouting that selected Appel was also responsible for ID'ing Francis Martes. Also, wasn't it said almost every team had Mark Appel as the #1 talent in the draft. Scouts measure potential, talent, and ability. Appel might still turn into a decent or above average starter, but he has to overcome the head games. He's got the tools, but can be make the adjustments to stay in front of the hitters. I think the Astros traded him to salvage some value, as the Astros system is based on production; there are too many players to focus on fixing a mental road block. Martes was exactly what they were expecting from Appel, so why treat Appel with kid gloves, it sends a bad message to the other guys about entitlement.

We have our Ace in the hole, his name is Francis Martes, and he should be up and ready this season.

raining threes likes this.