1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone using Comcast's 'Internet Plus/Blast' with local TV & HBO?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, May 19, 2015.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Hey guys, hoping at least some of you are using this service.

Been thinking about 'cutting the cord' for a while now, and Comcast is running a 'new subscriber' special, which has their 'Blast' internet (105mbps) along with 'local TV' and HBO .. and while I am no fan of Comcast, the deal may be too good to pass up.

U-verse is ridiculously over-priced, their hardware has been prone to failing and rebooting during the worst possible times, and we have realized at home that we just don't watch that much on TV that we cannot also watch online.

So the question I have is this: Comcast *claims* a price of $54.99/mo (for the first 12 months anyway), but how much are they ACTUALLY charging you for this, after all the fees and whatever else? And how much does it go up after the 12 months?

Also, can someone clarify what the channels actually are? 'Local TV' is kind of a vague term to me.

Does this TV service/HBO work with a Tivo or similar device?

And how is Comcast's internet service for someone who wants to 'cut the cord' like this? I don't really 'download' movies or very large data files, but we do watch a lot of Netflix, and TV shows online, like Flash and Blacklist, etc. Does 'cutting the cord' while watching a decent amount of streaming media (as well as my son constantly playing online games) cause people to run over on the data limits Comcast has? And how hard does THAT hurt when it happens?

Basically just looking for advice from people who have already cut the cord and have maybe used this service. Of course I can (and will) contact Comcast directly, but I am hoping to hear real-world info from you guys before being given the sales pitch from Comcast.

Thanks!

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

root sports might not be included in the local tv pack. i could be wrong though but i think that pack includes the bare minimum of channels.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I used this for over a year. Just switched to a new program.

They charged exactly what they said for the first year. I didn't even hook up the cable box because it includes nothing. It did not include CSN when that existed. As for ROOT, I never checked because it was on DirecTV which I DID have hooked up. However, my understanding was ROOT was not in the package.

After the year was up the price jumped to around $80.

Only problem I ever had was I never got the advertised speed.

As for how it works with Netflix, etc...

We never used Netflix, but did use Amazon Prime, MLB TV, and XBOX live. Never had a problem. I don't know if Comcast even has a hard cap. The website for my service has said it's suspended for as long as I can remember. (The hard caps)

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I've been looking into this plan as well. I have had comcast for about 5 years, but would cut the service and re-sign as a new costumer.

People have valid complaints about their customer service, but the actual internet product is fantastic. I really haven't had an outage in 5 years. The speeds have been pretty great and with this plan you should have plenty of bandwidth for your usage. Our household watches very little TV, but streams and games online a ton.

As for the local TV question, I agree with Victorious that it will not include root sports. You'll have to bump up the TV coverage to at least two levels. The package basically comes with the HD channels you can pick up for free with an OTA antenna (ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS, etc).

As for the TIVO/DVR question, this package is designed for cordcutters, so they will give you the bare minimum in terms of hardware (just a SD digital converter box), so no. Having said that, you will be able to stream HBO via the XFINITY TV Go App on all your devices and (likely) the HBO Go app. If you have a chromecast already, you can stream easily to your TV via these apps. I can tell you from experience that the HBO app is robust and you won't miss having a DVR.

In terms of final cost, your initial bill will be high due to installation costs. Do EVERYTHING you can to push for a "self-install" or to waive/decrease this cost. It is absolute BS and they tack it on for folks who don't know any better. After that, the monthly payments should be closer to $70 with everything included and around $90 once the promotion is up. Be sure to ask them specifically, they'll tell you.

Bottom line, this is a great deal financially, but Comcast will give you hard time for the stupidest things.

BTW, do you have a docsis 3.0 modem? Buying one is cheaper and a better investment than renting one. I have the Motorolla SB141 and it actually has the capacity to handle the 105Mbps bandwidth. At around $70, it pays for itself in 7 months as Comcast charges $10/mo for their stupid modem/router combo.

#4 shastarocket, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, be sure to buy your own modem. The $10 a month rental adds up. You can buy your own cable modem and save in the long run PLUS it's more reliable and gives you flexibility to do cool things down the road if you want to.

I just double checked, and it's a very basic cable lineup. No ROOT.

You also can't just upgrade the tv a few tiers when you do this. The only way to upgrade out of the basic is to change the package which will end up costing you a lot.

With that said, they have an awesome 2 year offer for bundled tv/internet which includes basically every single channel for something like $109.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Keep in mind it doesn't include an HD receiver in that package, and if you want your local channels in HD, it's $10. Also, that modem fee is $8. You're looking at over $70 just to have local channels and HBO.

I got on the $29.99 50mbps plan, and called into their call center and got a rep to bump it to 100mbps for $5 more.

I'm paying less than 36 with taxes( i can provide proof). I have my own router and modem as well.

For $54 you can have Comcast inter at 105mbps, plus get SlingTV for $20, and OTA TV is free and in HD.

If you insist on HBO, you can instead sign up for HBO NOW instead of Sling for $15 and you'll still save money.

[​IMG]

$35 for Comcast 105
    $25 for Sling TV (I purchased the EPIX $5 add-on)
    One time $30 charge for Hulu Plus 1 year subscription (Look on eBay for these cheap deals)
    $8 Netflix
    $0 - Free OTA Antenna, I'm using this with clear tape on my window (Great for ABC NBA games) http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-HDTV-Antenna-Detachable-Performance/dp/B00IF70T4M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048771&sr=8-5&keywords=antenna+hd

$68 a month for way more channels and content than what you're getting :)

Edit: Obviously a couple of one time charges there, but it's worth it. OTA antenna is cheap. I got mine for $20. I use Roku for Sling, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu

#6 Scionxa, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Are you in Houston, is there a contract and how long is the promotion for?

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm in Houston. No contract. 12 month promotion

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I have it. I use HBO Go sometimes. I mainly have it because they still have me on the promo rate for Blast internet. I rarely ever use the TV part of it.

10. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

My total bill is $120/month (tax included) for X1, HBO, Showtime, HDDVR, Blast 105 internet, modem, and a second HD receiver (non-DVR). No contract through Comcast. I had to haggle but I'd much rather have one source for my content than sling/roku/etc. I have a roommate so it comes to $60/month per person. Cheaper and less subscriptions.