1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have a garage or apt. gym setup?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Nov 17, 2018.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

I’m looking for suggestions and ideas for a simple and useful setup for an apartment gym. I want to be able to do majority of the major barbell exercises so I’m looking for suggestions on a squat rack and adjustable bench that don’t take up much room, are affordable, and solid (as solid as affordable can be). I’ll be using the dinning room area so space is limited and I won’t have room for some commercial grade squat rack. I’ll be buying the 300 pound weight set from Dicks ($150 BF special if you’re interested) so I should be good on weight as of now. Suggestions and pics appreciated

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

As a matter of fact, I am in the process of setting up my garage as a gym.

I think I've settled on this two piece bench/rack set, which meets your parameters. Using a set that has a separate bench allows you to store them both against the wall. I like this set because the adjust ability of the bench (It's on Amazon for $257, $200 at Walmart right now):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Cha...lympic-Weight-Bench-with-Squat-Rack/770708593

[​IMG]

I'm also considering this one from Amazon, which is on sale right now with a $70 off coupon. I always consider the leg extension/preacher curl add-ons a bit hokey, but you don't have to use them:

For flooring, you can get interlocking pads from Sams for much cheaper than any other place.

Lastly, I would strongly recommend working dumbbells into your routine. I picked up 1500lbs worth, 8-90lb sets, on craigslist for $300 last month.

NateNate and theimpossibles1 like this.
  3. Papa John

Papa John Member

I did but my stupid sister...

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

It looked silly as hell, but back in the day one of my buddies got ripped by: 25lbs in each hand, and he took a wide stance and just waved them around...up, down, back, front, here, there, for about an hour with a few breaks as needed.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  5. NateNate

NateNate Member

I just got back from academy and looked at something very similar. I think my main concern is making sure I have something very sturdy and doesn’t feel super cheap to the point where I think about it when I’m working out. An adjustable bench is a must. I’m hoping I can find one that declines as well. The deal you got off Craigslist is unheard of! Even used weights go for a premium. Nice find.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Built out my garage a few years back. Got this squat cage for $200 and has been a solid buy. One of the smaller profile cages I found and feels sturdy for the price. Pull up bar was a must for me. Says it’s unavailable but can maybe find elsewhere.

IRONMAN H-Class 810XLT Power Cage with 800Lbs of Real Weight Capacity

NateNate likes this.
  7. theimpossibles1

But then you can sue when it breaks and smashes your trachea!

NateNate likes this.
  8. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I bought THIS rack about 18 months ago for $185. It’s more now, but I’m very pleased with it. I like that style, because you can safely do any of the major bar lifts without a spotter, as well as chins. Found the best deal on 45, 35, 25 and 10 lb bumper plates (Diamond brand, I think. They are actually the wide diameter style too, which is rare for budget bumpers) and a quality bar from wal-mart online, ship to store. Can get cheap smaller weights anywhere. Bought two horse stall mats at tractor supply for padding. Made a rack to hold the plates out of 2x6’s. Nice bench on Amazon was $80. The whole project from scratch was less than $700. Later I bought a used airdyne. It’s so nice not to have to go to the gym. Not sure if that’s your ideal setup, OP, but good luck.

NateNate likes this.
  9. NateNate

NateNate Member

Thanks for the reply. Was the rack on sale at the time? Setup sounds nice...

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ha that’s the same one I got. Mine was Ironman brand but looks the exact same.

Has anyone tried the Bowflex Selectech Dumbells? Been thinking about getting some. Pricey but would save a ton of space.

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

I just realize this is the same rack as the previous poster I replied to. Nice!

12. Xerobull

Hmmm. I didn't mention a rack because it's not exactly space friendly. Walmart.com has essentially the same rack AND a bench for a combo price of $234.50.

• Scroll down and you'll see 'Buy Together & Save'

Free shipping and you can always take it back if you don't like it.

I don't love this setup because the bench doesn't have an adjustable seat, but it does have a 800lb capacity. For your purposes it DOES fold for storage, which is nice.

Edit- I just sold myself on this set with this post. Bought the combo, should be here Friday. :)

#12 Xerobull, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    NateNate likes this.
  13. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I think it just used to be cheaper, but the other two racks mentioned look indentical. I think for $217 at the link Xerobull poster, it’s a good value.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Which buddy was it? Bob Sacamano or Rusty Shackleford?

15. NateNate

NateNate Member

Wow that’s cheap. I’m with you on the bench though.

16. Xerobull

With the leg brace, I figured it was a good buy.

17. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

How much do you bench, deadlift, and squat.

Based on that I can advice, see dp

18. NateNate

NateNate Member

@Xerobull pop back in with a review when you get a chance

19. Xerobull

It's coming in Friday. Price might jump up before I can give some feedback. You might want to just go ahead and order - it's Walmart so you can always take it back. It's a hassle for something so big but better than shipping it back to Amazon.

20. Xerobull

I got the bench, weight rack/cage still in transit.

Bench is -awesome-, very sturdy, wide seat (almost too wide for my noassatall butt), quick incline and decline back, AND you can incline the seat, something they don't mention in the description. It's almost fully assembled when you get it- only four bolts and one hand screw to insert. Awesome bench, well worth the $78 I paid for it.