1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I followed that manhua for over a year! Was really entertained by it. The artwork, storyline, fight scenes etc were all good to great. Hope the anime version does it justice. The manhua is still ongoing. I'm probably a couple hundred chapters behind lol

RedRedemption likes this.
  2. elrond

elrond Member

Yeah, I'll definitely start with the 1st Macross.

Read through the Hi score girl manga awhile back since I had to know what happened. Didn't realize season 2 was released in the US in February, we're just now getting it in Taiwan.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Too much anime, man. It no longer feels like any one is watching the same things at the same time. There is no collective surge of enthusiasm for any one show. While anime is more popular than ever, more mainstream, it doesn't feel like anyone is watching at all.

daywalker02 and donkeypunch like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Many shows are fairly derivative of older more popular shows that they become their own genres. I like Black clover for the same reasons I liked naruto, mindless uplifting fun with some decent fight scenes. I would watch One piece but I don’t want to watch 100s of episodes to catch up. Haven’t felt the need to watch Boruto. Stopped watching MHA after they locked up All for One. I might pick it up if it ends in a few years...

2nd season if re:zero is dropping in a couple months. Looking forward to that.

Dororo was a nice surprise I watched on and off.

In 6 episodes of Dorohedoro....fantasy headtrip that reminds me of cowboy bebop in me not getting what’s going on to get hooked to it but interesting enough to pay attention

DreamShook likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I watched a an MHA movie over the weekend that was on showtime.

I like the episodes but the movie kinda fell flat.

So has All Might lost his powers or not?

6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Loving Tower of God so far. Its giving me hunter x hunter vibes. Khun/Bam are literally Killua/Gon.

7. SemisolidSnake

There's a lot of stuff out there getting a lot of attention, and maybe some of those shows don't deserve the love they're getting because they are fairly derivative. However, there are also still an absolute ton of show out there, maybe flying somewhat under the radar of the big shounens that are fresh, unique, and brilliant. Stuff you'll never out of anywhere else.

Going back a few years in no particular order:

Vinland Saga
    Carole & Tuesday
    Girls' Last Tour
    Sarazanmai
    Princess Prinicipal
    Land of the Lustrous
    Beastars
    (The last two were done by Orange, which does unparalleled CGI productions. So good looking. Make Ufotable of Demon Slayer fame look like crap by comparison.)
    Made In Abyss
    Promare (Trigger's first movie is baller.)
    All the JoJos
    Laid-Back Camp
    Lupin Part 4 and Lupin Part 5
    Mob Psycho 100 season 1 and especially season 2
    Little Witch Academia

I didn't mention a single shounen on that list. (Well, I never know how I like to classify JoJo, but I do love me some JoJo.) Huge variety of weird and cool and well-done stuff in there. By top studios.

8. SemisolidSnake

Where we are in the anime and have been for a couple seasons, and when the movie takes place,
    yeah, they're gone. He's permanently just his shell of his former self after the fight with All For One.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So how did he team up with Young Midori to fight the bad guy?

Sorry don't know how to use spoiler tag.

10. SemisolidSnake

He didn't.

Spoiler tag is under the plus sign which is three icons to the right of the smiley icon here.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The movie I am talking about is Two Heroes and he did fight the final battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_Academia:_Two_Heroes

Thanks for the info on the Spoiler tags.

12. SemisolidSnake

Ahh, I gotcha. I was getting movie and series mixed up. Man, it hasn't been that long since I watched the movie, but I really don't have much a memory for it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. omgTHEpotential

Intrigued by the first two episodes of Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou!

My only issue is, the main character is like a 30 year old something reincarnated as a kid, but he seems to act a bit too much like a child. I thought there would be more of a contrast between his appearance and the way he acts.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just finished Sword Art Alice.

I really liked this latest season and it ended on a great note, can't wait for the next episodes.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tower of god has been amazing.

18. SemisolidSnake

My friends and I, who live all over the country, have a few nights a week where we watch anime together, synced up over Discord (and AIM before that.) Been doing it for about 13 or 14 years. We just finished Carole & Tuesday on Wednesdays, and everyone overwhelmingly voted to watch Cells At Work as our next show, because what should could be more appropriate right now?

We've watched four episodes so far, and it's great. Only Japan would think of anthropomorphizing the various cells of the human body and watching them respond to various bodily needs and disruptions. It's extremely cute, violent, well-animated, and informative. Yeah, I end up reading biology papers afterwards to see how accurate the descriptions of the cells' duties are in real life. They're pretty spot on. The show was done by David Production, which is the studio that does JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and you can see that superb level of quality in this series as well.

I continue to be impressed by the research anime and manga writers put into their work, regardless of topic or genre. Vinland Saga, Dr. Stone, and Cells At Work are just three shows I've watched recently where there's an impressive level of accuracy paid to real life details that would easily be handwaved by American productions.

19. elrond

elrond Member

Also recently finished watching Carole & Tuesday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Couple of minor nits that I could complain about, but nothing that can't be overlooked, and the music was great. Really loved Kids on the Slope as well, and various versions of Moanin' are usually in my music rotation.

Watched maybe 6 or so episodes of cells at work. Kinda meh on it at the moment, not bad for just something cute to have on, but doesn't particularly make me want to watch more.

Also finished Sword Art Alicization, seemed to end quite abruptly. I'm more than happy to watch more SAO, but none of it has really been at the level of the 1st season.

Hi Score Girl is still one of my favorites, will be looking forward to the spinoff. I think anyone who spent any significant time in the arcades and likes a good romcom can appreciate this series.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

I can't believe I didn't mention this in here, but Paranoia Agent is once again airing on Adult Swim Saturdays. The first time I saw it was on Adult Swim 15 years ago. I was so thrilled to see it back. It was one of the first few anime I saw.

It's the only anime series by the late, great movie director Satoshi Kon. It is unlike anything else out there. I'm appreciating it so much more watching it again now.

I don't even want to describe it, because I think it's just something that needs to be experienced by each person their own way. It's very good, though. And dark. That's an accurate but clumsy term for it.

Anyway, I highly recommend watching it. It is unique, and it's an absolute shame Satoshi Kon is no longer with us, because he was a master of scene composition. And the soundtrack by Susumu Hirasawa who you'll recognize if you've seen the original 90s Berserk anime is perfect for it.

[​IMG]