1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson to be Inaugural Inductee into Texans Ring of Honor

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texans1095, Jul 18, 2017.

?

Which current (or former) Texans Should be Inducted into the Ring of Honor?

1. Arian Foster

79.0%
  2. Brian Cushing

28.4%
  3. Duane Brown

53.1%
  4. Owen Daniels

6.2%
  5. Jonathan Joseph

9.9%
  6. DeMeco Ryans

11.1%
  7. Matt Schaub

9.9%
  8. Chris Myers

7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

For me, I'd switch Cushing and Brown. Cushing really only had 2 good seasons pre-injury but was unfortunately never the same player after. Gotta love his leadership though.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, the team ditched him. It probably felt a bit personal to him, he's a competitor and playing for the Colts meant he could directly get back at the Texans.

Should have been more rational, went to the Pats or Packers because I really wanted to see him get a ring...

macho GRANDE likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not factually accurate. The team told him they planned on using him in a lesser role due to his decreased playing ability and he threw a b**** fit about it and forced his way out. That's not the team ditching him. The fact that he went on to have that exact same type of role with the Colts (and the Texans still won the division easily) just proves that the Texans did the right thing and he was wrong to react the way he did.

That said, him tarnishing his reputation at the end of his career with that b**** fit doesn't erase all he did for the city.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For me it's more about him being the heart and soul of the defense pretty much every season. His impact to the defense goes far beyond his individual stats. Duane Brown has been a very good O linemen his whole time here so it's probably worth rewarding, so I wouldn't have a problem with those who would switch the two.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes that's true, forgot about that.

I don't think he had a fit about it though, I think he just wanted to rub it in the Texans face. It's a common reaction really. He's the ultimate competitor so it's hard for someone like him to admit that he wasn't as good as he thought he was.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It probably would have been better if I said that it pissed him off. He was angry about being told that he was not good enough to be the main target anymore. I don't necessarily blame him for the way he reacted for just the reason you said, it's common for guys that were to best to not accept the fact that they've lost several steps. Sometimes it gets really ugly actually. Honestly I just wish that it ended differently, he took bad advice from an incompetent agent that was related to him and it didn't end well.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. BleedsRocketRed

Either Arian and Duane are my choices.

I want Shaub in it because he did have some very, very good years with us but I don't know if I can or not.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

For me after JJ, its Duane Brown, he always give effort and heart to this team, also he has always been very effective, then also Foster and Cushing.

Demeco Ryans would have been too, but he left the team early in his career, so I dont think should be considered, but he did have very good plays for the Texans.

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think Arian Foster is the only lock... Cushing has been great, but his performance enhancing suspension may hurt a little. I think Duane Brown is most next likely, with J-Jo behind him.

I highly doubt Schaub gets it, but he probably should. In our franchise history, he has been the only semblance of stability at QB, and at his best was pretty damn good. Really hope Watson can become that.

10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

People who are leaving off Arian Foster are crazy. One of the best running-backs of his generation, and at his best, was arguably the best RB in the NFL. Was versatile and sustained efficiency on a ridiculous amount of carries.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just brown and Foster.

Watt also.

Clowney if he stays healthy

12. Buck Turgidson

Watt's a given, Brown probably deserves it too. On the fence about Arian, he just didn't play much.

Hopkins is on the right path.

Let's not make it like the Stros and retired numbers.

texans1095 likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Forgot about Hopkins.

But he can't have more years like last year.

I know brock sucks but so did David Carr and Case Keenum and post lis franc Schaub. Andre still put up numbers

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dre and JJ that's it.

15. Buck Turgidson

Definitely. Clowney has that potential too, like you said.

For reference, and I hate to bring up the Cowboys in comparison: they've been around since 1960 and they only have 21 members of their ROH, 14 are HOFers. Of the 7 who aren't in the Hall, only 2 didn't win a Super Bowl (they're the only 2 of the 21 who didn't) - Don Meredith, who lost the Ice Bowl and another NFC championship against the Packers, and was also insanely popular, and Don Perkins, who was on those same teams and retired as the NFL's 5th leading rusher.

I just don't see guys like Cushing, Ryans, Schaub, Matt Stevens, Foster as worthy.

texans1095 and macho GRANDE like this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it should be the first ring of enhanced reality...where the ring analyzes the viewers web history to determine what players and highlights should be shown. Rings of Honor are never looked at. I see no point. Give them statues. I would argue that each teams Pioneers should be honored in they were very good, but not HOF, because that's just how it should be. But after that, you better be winning titles or in the HOF.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone other than Dre and JJ so far.

Duane would be next just because of the longevity of solidness but we're talking about 3 pro bowls not 6 or 7.

You have to make this stuff hard to get in.

You can always change your mind later and go back and add earlier players. But once they're in there's no going back.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fulgore likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Having a whole day dedicated to him is a bit much but that ring of honor circle is going to be lonely and empty for a while.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, that whole "Duane Brown & Brian Cushing will join him" died real quick, huh? :D