1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Altuve, Springer, Bregman, and Correa are great, BUT...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Aug 4, 2019.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

...is it possible Yordan Alvarez is the best player this Astros group has? It’s only 41 games, but this kid is the best rookie in the AL this season. He can already dominate lefties, he is patient and takes walks, and he can “settle” for singles when he needs to. I don’t think the Astros have had an RBI machine like this since peak Lance Berkman.

I know Altuve, Springer, and Bregman all have their unique MVPs, but this Yordan is a Barry Bonds/David Ortiz prototype and he’s only 22 years old.

I’m calling it now, he’s going to win the AL MVP in 2020 and he’s going to have a 2004 Beltran-esq post season this October.

Htown Legend and maw7079_2000 like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We won't have any issues with Springer,Altuve,Bregman or Correa when we play in an NL park.

It's certainly possible he may be the most dangerous hitter on the team, but he's not a more valuable player than 4 guys who provide defensive value and/or speed.

3. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Who would you rather have Yordan Alvarez or Aaron Judge? Who would you build around?

4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

The one thing about rookies in any sport is that their tough to scout because not alot of film on them. It will be a few years til Yordan proves to be consistent. He has all the offensive tools though.

snowconeman22 and CometsWin like this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Albert Pujols is his comp, no kidding. Bregman is our most valuable player and highest accruer of WAR, and his high OBP and above average defense will give him the leg up going forward...but as of today our best hitter on the team is already Yordan. It’s breathtaking to see this lineup in action, and we will be marveling over this stretch of baseball (2017 until whenever it ends) for the rest of our lives.

6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yordan for sheer age and upside. So much poise and patience... means he listens and takes coaching. He’s got the stuff in between the ears meaning he’s gonna be able to evolve his game faster.

7. vince

vince Member

Yeah, Alvarez has stunned a lot of people. Usually the league catches up and adjust within 50-75 AB’s. Alvarez has already far exceeded that and is still swinging like a seasoned MVP candidate. I’m not delusional, with so many brilliant baseball minds trying to concoct how to pitch to him, someone is bound to make him make adjustments, but luckily no one has and it’s been awe inspiring to watch his AB’s.

We sit here and say, but only Pujols has done what Alvarez is doing up to this point. And Pujols is an Hall of Famer with an unbelievable career so far.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

9. msn

msn Member

For the first 41 games, pretty much. What I love about this comp is that Pujols was also not great defensively when he first came up, them he developed. Here's hoping. :)

Houstunna likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Judge seems to get hurt a fair bit, but he can play in the field and he's a pretty good outfielder unlike Yordan. I think Yordan is simply a better hitter than Judge and he doesn't have anywhere near the K%. I love Judge, but I think I'd lean towards Yordan.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Bump...

3 HR night, 7 RBIs

51 RBIs in 45 games

Acura, King1, txtodd and 1 other person like this.
  12. Acura

Acura Member

Imagine if this man was on the Yankees. Hed be all over the tv. This is a great baseball player.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The thought of this almost makes me sick. Thank god he’s an Astro. Our lineup is absolutely nasty and I can’t wait to see him in october

Acura and everyday eddie like this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

<sarcasm>Yordan like Harden plays no defense. </sarcasm>

arkoe and Houstunna like this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I read things like the above, and I hear, "Joe? Joe! Joe! Joe! Charbonneau!" Insert any other rookie flash in the pan you think of instead.

OTOH, it's certainly possible he's their best potential player. He just broke Teddy Ballgame's record for most RBIs in his first 45 games as a MLB player. When you're mentioned with Ted Williams, you're pretty special. I have to think pitchers will get enough data on him that he'll come back to Earth, but it hasn't happened yet.

(Speaking of otherworldly players, have you seen the season Yelich is having!? Glad he's over there, and not in the Astros's division.)

I give you kudos for combining in a metaphor for a player, Barry Bonds, whose defense helped his HoF credentials before he decided to gain two hat sizes, and David Ortiz who continued with that BoSox tradition of not caring about defense if you could hit.

CometsWin and Colt45 like this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Joe Buck would have a heart attack

17. Buck Turgidson

Bregman and Trout are both all over baseball TV, just like Judge and Yelich and....

18. AstrosRockets1818

Needs to learn more English. This will make him way more marketable on TV.
    He will.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think it was pretty clear (at least to me) about a month into the season that Yordan is the best stick on this team.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't follow Astros religiously in the regular season (sorry!), but enough to know what's up.

That said, just looking at Yordan's stats now through 83 games - wow, this production the full year and he's the clear cut MVP, no?