1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

all-time 5 favorite guitarists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sir scarvajal, Jul 6, 2000.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Ever been to riot fest?

2. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

No. I have never even heard of it until now. I am kinda lame that way. Sadly, the only shows I get out to now are the shows when my lousy little band play at hovels around downtown (Houston), or terrible clubs out in Spring and Cypress.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Zappa and Steve Vai...

4. Daddy Long Legs

A lot of punk bands play there every year. Unfortunately a lot of early 2000s pop punk too but I saw NOFX last year and bad brains is going this year.

Dude i love the dead kennedys lol. I found out about them because omar rodriguez lopez from the mars volta said they are one of his top 5 favorite bands

Badass that your in a band!

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  5. Nero

Nero Member

Mark Knopfler
    Brian May
    David Gilmour

These guys make guitars sing, like reaching into your soul when you hear it.

6. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Yeah, I checked out this years lineup and I have seen most of the punk bands playing this fall. I have not seen Jawbreaker though. That would be neat to see.

My buddy stole a Dead Kennedys CD (In God We Trust, Inc/Plastic Surgery Disasters) when I was in high school. He thought it was too discordant, and gave it to me. This was probably '94. I have loved them ever since.

Thanks. I love playing in a band. I ended up writing like 50 songs, so I decided to just form a band and see what happens. It's very cathartic. Not a good way to make money though. Still have to have the day job.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, John Mayer, Slash, maybe even Prince.

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i recently tried learning some b-52's songs on guitar with the idea of maybe putting together a b-52's cover band...even though i knew i had the right chords it just did not sound right. i found some youtube videos that were helpful, but it was still not "right". then i stumbled across this tidbit and realized how futile my efforts were.

ricky wilson! theres a thelonious monk quote "a genius is the one who is most like himself"...definitely applies to him!
    [​IMG]

***sorry for long post, but i think guitar players would get a kick out of reading this...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...ime/47376-early-b-52s-album-guitar-sound.html

i can tell you something about ricky's "style." i spent some time with ricky. we were playing different things and he kept trying different tunings. after a while i said, "well, why don't you just try standard tuning and maybe we can come up with something interesting that way too?"

he said, "i don't know standard tuning" so i said, "well, what tuning are you in, (G?, D?, etc...) and i can show you how to get to standard tuning from there" and he said, "i don't know what tuning i am in."

I said, "huh, you don't know what tuning you are in? how do you write songs?" and he said, "i just tune the strings till i hear something i like and then something comes out". (mind you, we had just been jamming for an hour or so and had been working fine together)

so i asked him, "well, how do you replay the songs you have written, like rock lobster? do you write down the tunings?" and he said, "no, i don't write anything down, and i have no idea how the tunings go." i was flabbergasted and i asked him, "how the hell do you play the songs again then", and he said (in all seriousness), "i don't know!"

a true story. and the nicest guy you would ever meet. i still don't know how he did it but every time i saw them live it was a complete blast, and they drove me nuttier than a sane man ought to get, jumping around dancing and screaming. (mind you i got pretty stoned back then). what a great band.

if you try to cop ricky's style, you are in for a hell of a figure out. good luck. make your own magic.​

This is a recent fb post from Ricky Wilson's first guitar tech Keith Bennett.

"What a special honor it was to have been Ricky’s first guitar tech. What he was doing was unique in concept, technique and execution and he had great patience with me as I had to learn, pretty much over night, the precise details of my duty in this regard.

It was no secret that I had signed on to the first US tour to preserve mine and Cindy’s on going courtship but my relationship with his sister in no way softened what Ricky required in order to perform on stage night after night in city after city for months on end. Nor did I want it to.

Looking back, believe my rookie status was actually a positive in Ricky’s mind. My ability to handle the learning curve presented to me was unencumbered by any past guitar tech experience; the unconventional ways of Ricky’s approach to the guitar did not run counter to some engrained standard methodology I might have harbored.

Ricky’s familiarity with me was perhaps a comforting factor in having a nomadic working relationship, given his profound reticence. I had experienced first hand the attitudes of some guitarists who were somehow offended by Ricky’s idiosyncratic approach to the instrument, as if an EADGBE tuning had been carved on stone tablets and six strings were a sacrament.

Of course the deep root of their being so tightly wound up about one man’s creative technique was bitterness over being technically proficient, excellent even, yet completely overlooked and left behind; one person’s excellence indistinguishable from that of the next.

I don’t know whether Ricky was ever bothered by such individuals.Their subset became smaller as the B-52’s became bigger. Who knows. Ricky and I didn’t talk much, his shyness often reflected in my own awkward social malfunctions and those misfires reflecting back off of his and so forth until a nervous feedback loop was formed. But there was no animosity, just chronic hesitation.

True to form, Ricky rarely said two words to me in the tuning room before the show, where he would come in each night to check the tunings of the freshly restrung and tuned guitars. I changed the strings, stretched the new ones and tuned and retuned six guitars every single night, one of them, a double neck. Although Ricky did not invent alternative tunings for the guitar, he certainly took it to an extreme.

In the tiny tuning room before the show, Ricky would sit in complete silence and check the tunings using a small Korg meter which the band had used from day one, all beat up and held together by gaffer’s tape and luck. This after I had already stretched the new strings and tuned them using the fancy new Conn strobe tuner, a technological marvel of its day. Fast, easy and spot on accurate, it was my best friend in my new world of daily string changing and nightly travel by rental truck.

Those moments alone in the tuning room, along with the chemical bond that he shared with Cindy, both in terms of family and on stage, inform my perception of Ricky and define those early years on the road working as his tech. I am confident that those shared moments of silence in the tuning room, the eye of each evening’s hurricane, were a lot more relaxing to Ricky than they were to me as he began testing each string with meditative concentration.

He would sit and select a guitar, pluck a string and then stare straight ahead into the void as the vibration faded away into the silence of the room like a stone tossed into a sonic pond. Sometimes he would listen long after it seemed the sound had decayed. As he confirmed the validity of each string, he would occasionally raise an eyebrow ever so slightly or give the most subtle of shrugs. Body language that I learned to pick up on and which I lived for in those moments.

Then he would focus on certain strings on certain guitars, and using the little Korg analog tuner, he would throw those strings, which I had tuned to digital perfection, off of A440 ever so slightly. In other words, I had to get it perfect so he could then deviate from it to a place that only he could find.

Then, once he had finished he would stand and with a shrug and a slight shadow of a smile, he would leave and head back to the dressing rooms as I began to transport the six or seven guitars to the stage area where I had earlier set up the station fat which I would alter the guitar tunings and string variations during the show, as per the set list dictate.

Ricky used only five strings on his guitars, sometimes only four, and always the heaviest gauge possible. During the show he would punish the strings with an extra heavy pick, staring intensely at some point on the stage floor or a million miles beyond, thrashing away as a constant rivulet of sweat dripped from the end of his nose like a waterfall.

He hit hard, holding nothing back, creating his unique chording with his thumb over the top of the fret board and hitting down while pulling up on the higher strings, usually tuned to exact unison. Pushing down and pulling up and pulling out dynamics like lava from a volcano. He gave the illusion of two guitarists in this way and combined with Keith Strickland’s painfully exact drumming, he produced an infectious rhythm. His was no wimpy sound and in fact his tone and rhythmic chops rivaled any guitarist, anywhere, in any type band - punk, metal or in between.

The fact that his contribution to the artistry of the instrument goes unsung in the compendiums and yearly collections of the “100 greatest guitarists” only serves to illuminate the limited scope and specious credibility of the so called experts responsible for these lists. But Ricky would be the first to tell you, or indicate in some manner anyway, that playing the guitar, (regardless of his genius in so doing,) was not all that he was about or even his main thing. He was engaged in so much more. Always reading, researching, traveling or seeking some new avenue of life experience.

But his relation to the guitar and of course to Cindy, now my wife of many years and the mother of my children, are the points of view by which I hold Ricky in my mind. And in those very kids, through whose wry smiles and natural flowing talent he indeed shines on. A gentle, bemused soul, Ricky brought his own customized standard to whatever he did.

Very private, Ricky was always somewhat enigmatic to me. But the one thing that was never obscured, always as crisp and bright as an October morning, was his love for his sister and the central role he played in her life. He will always be her wise, loyal and protective older brother in the vast timeless universe that is in her heart. And I will always be his guitar tech, striving for a glimpse of that slightly raised eyebrow."

#68 jo mama, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Bandwagoner is a limp dick loser, that's his schtick. His wife probably left him and he has nothing better to do than be an ******* unless it's racism etc stuff he can get behind.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Going with only the ones I have seen (no order):

Jessie "Guitar" Taylor/Lloyd Maines (Maybe my favorite band of all time as I wasted many a college dollar following them around Texas. This is Joe's best band I think.)

SRV

Pete

B.B.

Roger May

11. Daddy Long Legs

sometimes this is what I need in music. sometimes I need to say **** math rock, **** shredders, **** technicality, **** cohesion

sometimes I just need to rock out...

12. Daddy Long Legs

this **** can really hit the spot when you are drunk at home with a guitar slide.

sometimes you just need that primal bare bones rock n roll. they go hard a hell.

early white stripes is legendary

13. Daddy Long Legs

hot damn jack white! so simple and sloppy but so ELECTRIFYING. sometimes you just need to. sometimes this is what music is about. every now and then you need to feel rock n roll

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

My musical tastes have changed over the years, to mostly blues stuff. My list has definitely changed asa result as well. I don't know how left SRV off, the man is an absolute guitar god. Trying to play his stuff now it amazes me even more. For my list Creativity & Soul > Technical ability

1. Hendrix and SRV tied.

2. BB king

3. Randy Rhoads / EVH

4. John Frusciante

5. Eric Johnson/Clapton

6. Paige

7. Vai

8. Satriani

9. Buckethead

In terms of modern day guitarists, I've never really wanted to like the guy, but John Mayer will be a top guitarist (all time) when it is all said and done, probably the best modern day blues player.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Dude you misspelled Page both times. : )

Page has all the riffs, swindled or not. Some of his sloppiness is great some of it really sucks. But he’s still my favorite.

Slash has my favorite guitar sound of all time. Next would be EVH.

So I guess those 3.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

CCity Zero and Torn n Frayed like this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Doing my best to emulate his sloppiness by misspelling ; )

jk, I love Page*, he is what got me started on playing. Objectively speaking, from a pure guitar standpoint I think there are many players that were better than him (crazy subjective just my view)

BigM likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's one of my favorite music anything/Youtube videos of all-time.