1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ADVICE] Headhunter found me on LinkedIn... wants to chat.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eric.81, May 23, 2018.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

She wants to talk to me about a COO position in my field. She works for a "boutique executive search firm." The thing is, I'm NOT an executive. I've worked in my field for about 12 years (6 years at current place of business) and have a good reputation among my vendors and clients. While I excel at my current position, am the leader of my group, and have even been designated a "Subject Matter Expert" for various projects, I'm not even on a management level at my current job... A COO position would be WAY above my current career trajectory. It's not like I have an impressive degree either... basically, I'm at a loss for words as to how she was directed to me.

I've scheduled a call w/ her at 2 pm today, regardless of any misgivings. I have no idea what company or firm contracted her to find their COO. As I'm currently gainfully employed, I have nothing to lose and am going to shoot my shot and see what happens, but this may be a position I am vastly under-qualified for.

Any advice? I haven't interviewed for a job in at least 3 years... and again, I'm in over my head here. Can my fellow clutchfans members help with some words of wisdom?

Thanks all...

CometsWin likes this.
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't hurt to talk and you can use this as practice. Advice? Be assertive and confident in your skill sets. Be honest but don't be afraid to pat yourself on the back for the good things you have done or what you can provide. Also, even though you might not be interested, express your curiosity and excitement about the position. Sell yourself.

one other thing...be prepared. Have answers to those basic questions usually asked. E.g, Why are you looking? what have you done? what do you currently do? etc. Even though you know what you do and it might be boring to you, the person you are talking to has no idea, so talk it up.

eric.81 likes this.
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You have nothing really to lose here by having this conversation. I always ask those people how they came across my number or search method. That is one of the reasons I stopped using Linkedin because too many random HR firms wanting to have a chat.

eric.81 likes this.
  4. eric.81

Thanks for the advice!! I am wary of this whole thing being a "scam," but I checked out her firm and it appears to be reputable. I have a hard time imagining she just threw a dart and came up with me... but stranger things than that have happened before.

Again, I appreciate the advice and will welcome anyone/everyone's thoughts here.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A headhunter from New Guinea found me on LinkedIn -- I declined his offer to fly out and meet his tribe.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Could be for a small business that needs to give a great title to get someone in.

eric.81 likes this.
  7. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

This happens a lot.

eric.81 likes this.
  8. eric.81

From your mouth to God's ear. I've been crushing my job for a while now and very few advancement opportunities have presented themselves. I've really been looking for an opportunity and new challenge.

Again, thanks to anyone who even took the time to read this. I love that I can count on CF... even it's just for a little advice and encouragement.

9. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I should have elaborated and said that even though it might be for a smaller company, there is nothing wrong with that. I love working at small companies where I have a huge impact.

eric.81 likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

did you mean cool instead of coo?

eric.81 likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You need to have irrational confidence. Most executives have no idea what they're doing. You don't make the shots you don't take and a myriad other slogans that support irrational confidence. You can do it!

eric.81 likes this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nigerian headhunters contact me often with a $5 million sign on bonus and some gold chains

I reject

butterball and eric.81 like this.
  13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Every executive at one time in their career was not an executive and took a job that they didn't know what they were doing in to learn to be an executive.

butterball and eric.81 like this.
  14. eric.81

Wow... It went really well. Follow up call set up for next week. It's a small firm... would involve moving to another state, which I'd do for the right price. Crazy day...

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.

Fyreball, DFWRocket and butterball like this.
  15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

See yourself in the role, visualize successful outcomes. You have all kinds of support and analytical staff helping you once you get there, most of whose own sense of success and stability relies on your success. There are less intelligent people with worse people skills and less experience in better jobs than you, because they willingly ask for the roles and learn to exploit all the credibility and leverage that comes with it.

eric.81 likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've had plenty hiring firms add me on linkedin, but none has messaged me. the ones i get are offering training programs or borinf seminars.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm going to give you a little advice.

There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the COO.

eric.81 likes this.
  18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Saw this quote the other day:
    "If someone offers you an amazing opportunity but you're not sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later." Richard Branson

eric.81 likes this.
  19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Also, remember that headhunters only get paid if you get hired... They're not going to waste their time if they don't think you'd be able to do it. Sure, maybe there's someone better than you, but let the employer decide that. You wont get it if you dont try.

eric.81 likes this.
  20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Could be a smaller firm looking for a cheaper candidate; could also be a new recruiter still learning the industry. I work at a headhunting firm and can tell you from experience that both are common

eric.81 likes this.