1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver will face "retribution" for defaming China and covering Morey, state media says

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...er-adam-silver-will-face-retribution-defaming

CCTV said Silver had crossed a line.

“Silver has spared no effort to portray himself as a fighter for free speech and used freedom of speech as an excuse to cover for Morey, who voiced his support for the violent actors in Hong Kong,” it said. “This has crossed the bottom line of the Chinese people.”

Silver’s handling of the controversy had proved his “double standards”, the broadcaster said, adding that he had “defamed” China on the international stage.

“To please some American politicians, Silver has fabricated lies out of nothing and has sought to paint China as unforgiving,” it said.

Mazulis, D-rock and malakas like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

wow just wow

Should Silver now enter a witness protection program?

This is absolutely ridiculous and frightening.
    The people who protect freedom of speech in america, are outright now being threatened and in danger.

And we still want to work with such regimes?

The NBA should cut all ties with China immediately.

acsorelle4, Kornel87, Hui and 52 others like this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The US should cut all economic ties with China and show them how boss we can be. I'm tired of hearing about this bullshit.

acsorelle4, Kornel87, Hui and 32 others like this.
  4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Chinese government is showing that they are the biggest snowflakes.

acsorelle4, sammy, Tfor3 and 19 others like this.
  6. iXnal

iXnal Member

Additional points you should know, the SCMP (South China Morning Post) has been purchased by Alibaba since 5 April 2016. Its Chinese language version website "nanzao.com" was shut down in 8 September 2016. Before that, both its English and Chinese language version website has been unavailable to Chinese mainland since 8 March 2016. And in the early time of the same year, President Xi make a statement emphasizes that the surname of Chinese medias must be CCP.

here the wiki link about SCMP
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_China_Morning_Post

clutchdabear, HP3, MiddleMan and 2 others like this.
  7. gotsis

gotsis Member

Who would of thought that Silver has more balls than Lebron James.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Could you imagine waking up in a world with headlines like that and not questioning it? I mean, it’s engrained in my most basic sense of self to be like, huh, did he really say that?

1) Morey voiced the support of violence, and Silver has backed him, while pretending to be a champion of free speech.

So wait, Morey supported someone that hasn’t done anything violent, they just spoke? Doesn’t that make him a literal champion of free speech?

2)This has crossed the line of the Chinese people

Okay, which people? Everyone is different, lets take a vote so we can make sure we aren’t being lied too

3) Silver’s handling of the controversy had proved his “double standards”

Why? Please post a source.

4) the broadcaster said, adding that he had “defamed” China on the international stage.

In which ways? Please post a source.

I mean, I wouldn’t even approve that on the economics subreddit, much less consider it acceptable public journalism.

acsorelle4, Mazulis, da_juice and 6 others like this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, nobody's going to do sh*t to Adam Silver. I'd like to see them try...and that's coming from somebody who has no particular fondness for the dude.

edit: CCTV can eat a d*ck for all I care...it's not their job to have an opinion, it's their job to report the news (which they do, but never in an unbiased way). I don't know anybody besides older folks who watch CCTV-1 anyway

Secondly, THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR THE GARM. PLEASE! D&D! PLEASE!!! ...we don't need any more China/Chinese/Political threads on the GAME ACTION & ROSTER MOVES section.

sammy, da_juice, xiki and 12 others like this.
  10. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

This.

SuperKev likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I’m actually cool with this. The Chinese government can’t run a company any better than it can run an economy. One more competitor for Amazon removed, long the stock for easy returns.

MiddleMan likes this.
  12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

*** the chinese government...no one cares

sammy, Tfor3, Theking and 4 others like this.
  13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I’m sorry, but this is public information that will potentially affect our rosters cap space, and as such, belongs in the GARM.

If you or others decide to defend an Authoritarian government in the GARM, that’s on you. Clutchfans should not censor information that will affect our roster moves on principle.

tksense and malakas like this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bunch of pansy ass toddlers. Shut up already.

Tfor3, HP3, Patience and 1 other person like this.
  15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how what I said has anything to do with defending any government--especially one that I have no affiliation or fondness towards in the first place. The GARM has become filled with threads on China, when it should be about the Houston Rockets. To say that this stuff directly impacts our team is kind of a stretch, in my opinion.

The D&D is a much better place for discussing the Rockets' business dealings with China. Again, I'm speaking for only myself, but I'm tired of waking up, checking Clutchfans... and seeing more stuff about China when I just want to know what people think about Thon Maker's lil bro.

16. malakas

malakas Member

The CCP is threatening the commisioner publicly- for covering and protecting the Rockets GM. It isn't a Rockets issue HOW?

How is any future relationship between the NBA and the CCP viable at this point?

You keep seeing those threads, because this isn't going away.

It affects 10-15% of the cap and so it is absolutely an NBA and a Rockets related subject.
    It also affects the well being and job security of our GM and the league commisoner.

Richie_Rich, Mazulis, xiki and 5 others like this.
  17. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

This is bball forum. Can we end this repressive thread, pretty please. We should be talking about the Rockets preparedness for the upcoming season. What about last night? James-the-Beard-Barber-Harden is cooking. This is our year; I can feel it in the air.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe some state owned companies wanted Morey gone without telling the prez and ministers?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

If theres one thing that can be certain about all state-owned enterprises in China, it's that there are always several high level officials that represent the state party and yes, they need to sign off on things the company does. It is impossible for Chinese companies that goes against the wishes of the government. If they could then China wouldn't be controlled by the state but would be a democracy.

But yes, technically speaking Winnie the Pooh did not ask Morey fired. Someone lower on the party totem pole did

hakeem94, malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The party, and their mouthpieces, can't do a damn thing to Adam Silver besides forcing the NBA out of China permanently...and I'm 99.9% sure there's no way that's going to happen. This is coming from somebody living in China and reasonably familiar with how things are over here.

I understand that this isn't going away. And I do respect your opinion on the fact that this is stuff that's relevant to the GARM. But I don't think my opinion is going to change on the fact that all this China news leans more on the political side of things and less on the sports side, and I believe the GARM should be 100% sports related.

The only thing that makes the GARM more viable for sharing this news over the D&D is the fact that it gets more readers..but I'm of the belief that even if these topics were in the D&D, those who are passionate about discussing them will find their way there. I just feel like all this is constantly is being shoved in my face 24/7 and I'm just ready to move on to the regular season and talk mostly about basketball.

da_juice and D-rock like this.