1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to Feigen; Rockets will pursue their own free agents instead of Webber.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j-bone, Jun 29, 2001.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This is great news! I think we should have no problem getting our team in place soon and really making some noise this year. I love this team!

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Great news. I assumed we would do this, but it is always nice to hear sources confirm it. Hopefully, if we resign Mo and Dream, we will still pursue a younger center such as Marc Jackson with any remaining cap room, or go after Lafrentz in a trade.

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I saw that and it really didn't shock me. I think they have indicated that in discussions on radio today. What is interesting is Olajuwon.

The one guy that could be potentially expendable, especially if he wants upwards of $10 million, is Dream. With Griffin, the Rockets have left no doubt that their future is more valuable than their past. If keeping Olajuwon means sacrificing some other element of the future, he's gone.

Personally, I hope he takes a little less and works with the team so that he can return. I think they could really use him at center and I don't want to see him in another uni.

By the way, check out John Lopez' column in tomorrow's paper as well. Very good read.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/956440

------------------
    Things do not change; we change. - Henry David Thoreau

5. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I would rather go after A. Davis than sign Taylor. Davis won't demand the ball as much as Taylor and he will block you 2 a game grab you 10boards and score 12-14pts. With Taylor back it wont be enough shots around.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, Charles Woodson, and Eddie Griffin fan club.

7. j-bone

j-bone Member

I totally agree with you Jeff. Now I would much rather see Hakeem back next year if he would take less money. Because before the trade it almost seemed inevitable to let him go so we can pursue Webber, but now I like the make up of this team with a few tweaks to the frontline.

------------------

8. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

Wow, this Jeff guy has a lot of posts!

Have you ever read the CBA [​IMG]

Olajuwon could be signed for $20m for a year without sacrificing resigning anyone, including Shandon! Mo' just has to except $4.5 for 2yrs and Moochie $1m for a yr. Every roster player can be signed for a salary-cap exception and Marc Jackson has no D anyhow.

We do not need to get under the cap to keep everyone.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The problem with Davis is that you are getting a guy over 30. By the time the Rockets really begin to gel, he'll be in his mid-30's. This team needs time to grow together. Besides, Davis is headed to Orlando.

------------------

10. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

When will they realize that Shandon SUCKS! Definitely get Mo back on the team and maybe Dream, but definitely not Shandon! Why are they evem bothering with him? Forget him! We have absolutely NO room for him anymore. Wanna play small forward? Sorry, got our boy Griffin playing it. Wanna play shooting guard? Sorry, got our boy Cuttino playing it, and guess what? Cuttino can actually SHOOT! Wanna play point guard? Riiiight. I really don't think he will be willing to take a spot on the bench because sadly enough, there are actually teams out there which he could start for. And I hate how he's asking for money he's not even worth. Pssh!

------------------

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I would rather go after A. Davis than sign Taylor. Davis won't demand the ball as much as Taylor and he will block you 2 a game grab you 10boards and score 12-14pts. With Taylor back it wont be enough shots around.

The other problem is Davis will command near the max, which he isn't worth. Even if we could lure him away from Orlando, he isn't worth spending 10 million per year on. Mo can score a lot, but he doesn't demand it. That's why he's good here-- he's flexible. He's not the kind of player you're obligated to give the ball to like Webber, and he's not going to blow up team chemistry when there are some nights when he isn't getting many shots. Plus, remember what Antonio Davis was when he was Mo's age. Mo has a lot of improving left that he can really accomplish.

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is definitely accurate. It's what I was told last night and wanted to get out in the <a href="http://www.clutchcity.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=114">draft recap</a> without discounting Webber entirely. I think now though you have to cross it off the board.

All along he was the priority of the offseason .... I don't think the Rockets expected to get a player like Eddie Griffin realistically. That changed things immediately.

Not sure I'm "glad", but it does take some stress off. Also, the Rockets got the vibe he was staying in Sacramento or going East. If there is any truth to the Sprewell-Sacramento talk, then obviously CWebb is staying with the Kings.

Also, I can see the Rockets renouncing Dream, signing Taylor, Moochie and possibly Anderson, then offering the cap room left to Dream. Rockets could use that small bit of cap room next year to fill holes via free agency. That is if Dream accepts this and the Rockets don't like the Marc Jackson role types in this free agent pool (I believe Jackson is a restricted free agent -- any offer can be matched by the Warriors up to so much)

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Absolutely! One other thing to add...

Mo Taylor REALLY REALLY wants to be in Houston. He absolutley LOVES it here and LOVES the team (and coaches). You cannot place a value on motivation and desire based on that feeling of belonging.

------------------

14. TIburon

TIburon Member

Clutch... thats basically how I see it as well. I would like to bring everyone back yes even Los but it probably won't happen.

I really want Shandon back, defense!!! Cat is not the better defender guys......

I really don't see Dream coming back...
    Its all going to be on Dream(won't get 10mil)
    I hope he does but I think he wants another run for the Championship and even with him we are still not there just yet(very young team-need time to mature).

Question I have is where does that leave Walt Williams?
    I believe Houston will keep Langhi, and we will have Griffin playing some 3, Morris, and possibly Bull(need to keep-a veteran).

I do think Marc Jackson 6'10/270(great rebounder-we were one of the worst rebounding teams) is our best bet at center, if Dream doesn't come back.

I would be happy with any scenario that brings back any of the players we have listed on the entire post.

With exception of Davis, not going to happen Orlando bound...

Great things are happening for the Houston Rockets...

------------------

15. Timing

Timing Member

I'd love to see a little desire and enthusiasm out on the court from Mo. I hope he doesn't become the highest paid power forward in history who had less rebounds than the point guard.

------------------
    First the Sopranos and now Eddie Griffin... thank you New Jersey!

16. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I would to ask Rockets' fans if you're keen on resigning Carlos Rodgers and Shandon Anderson.

From the few games that Rudy T. has let Carlos Rodgers play, I think the Rockets should give him a reward for his efforts - like that game where he went 10-11 field goals,( around 22 points), if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I think the team will need the slashing ability of Anderson. The problem is getting enough rotation time, now with Morris, Walt Williams, and Griffin.

------------------

17. Gascon

Gascon Member

I couldn't happier that the Rockets got Griffin and especially that they're not going after Webber any longer. I agree that getting Dream back would be great, provided that we don't spend every available cent on him. I would love to see a Marc Jackson-type in a Rockets uni.....and I think we still have the ability to achieve that.

Whoever it is, make them young and give them a good attitude. I'm more than a little nervous about Griffin's rumored attitude problem. I would love to see him gel with our squad and possibly grow out of that behavior. His youth is both scary and exciting.......but one thing's for sure, he's got a lot of room for growth. I can't wait.

Man, I haven't felt this good since Drexler came over from Portland. [​IMG]

------------------
    Gascon

18. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

What I think we could really use is a power forward of the Bo Outlaw/Ben Wallace mold, who will rebound and hustle and play some good interior defense without demanding the ball too much. True, Griffin can play the 4, but it would be nice to see another true defense-minded player in the frontcourt to go with offense-oriented players like Bullard, Walt, MoT, and TMo.

Actually, the ideal guy would be someone like Charles Oakley, a "cagey veteran" that could keep Eddie in line and also give a solid 20-25 mpg. Ideally the new guy could also put in a few minutes at the 5. Too bad Tony Massenburg was out most of the time we had him.

Getting Shandon back would be nice also. Our roster is a little heavily balanced toward frontcourt guys if we don't.

------------------

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I haven't heard anyone mention Jerome Williams. He's young & a pretty good rebounder. I think he'd do just fine here.

------------------

20. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Everything is coming together as planned.

Some of you guys worry me though. You still seem to want more and more players. You want other free agents, such as Jerome Williams, Marc Jackson, Oakley,none of whom are "centers". Just where and when do you expect to play these guys? We already have three possible power forwards as it is: Griffin, Taylor, and Thomas.

Jeff that article by Lopez was awesome.

------------------
    A desirous Mo Taylor is better than a prude Chris Webber.

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited June 29, 2001).]