1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AC/DC kicks Brian Johnson to the curb

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

ACDC will always be about Angus and Bon, they are the 2 iconic members.

2. Raven

Raven Member

It's wild that Angus is only 61. That's just a couple of years older than Peter Buck.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Damn that actually sounded great. Imo Rose rocked that out and I'm not much of an AR fan. I always had a hard time listening to Johnson doing Bon Scott material. That said, Brian J definitely left his mark in a big way with AC/DC, no denying that.

It sucks that Johnson was seemingly kicked to the curb in this manner, but in this business you just have to keep moving forward. My guess is they wanted to do just that. Wouldn't surprise me if the band and Johnson work something out later on.

If Rose sounds like that on the regular they'll be just fine. Though with his history, I could also see it blowing up in the negative.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's funny because I read a review yesterday on the Coachella performance that ripped Axl because he sounded bad, was sweating profusely while sitting on his "throne", and was screaming into the microphone. He's obviously not as good as he was. One also has to take into account the quality of the recording. But, same review was also critical of bringing back nostalgia bands so it seemed biased from the start.

I don't have a problem with all these old bands coming back and doing nostalgia tours. If it's a money grab, then whatever floats their boat. If the demand is there, then they should do it. And, it is.

Funny thing...I heard a radio commercial advertising that "Tears for Fears" would be playing D/FW coming up. I honestly had no idea that band was still around. More power to them if they want to continue to "rule the world" or "sow their seeds of love". I admit I like some of their stuff from back in the day. I wouldn't mind seeing them perform some of those songs live.

#24 Surfguy, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Same here. I'm not going to see them without Brian Johnson...just like I'm not going to see Alice In Chains without Layne Staley, Sublime without Brad Nowell, or Blind Melon without Shannon Hoon. That's not the band I enjoyed and it sure as s*** isn't going to happen with that hyper *ucktard Axl Rose.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would even equate it to seeing Rush without Geddy Lee. To me...that's a non-starter.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

On twitter, Calvin Watkins was asked about the discord between Angus and Brian.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Back in black was a great album, no disputing that. Brian Johnson was as good of a replacement for Bon Scott as there possibly could have been. But there are a few things I think are true.

1. Back in Black came in off of the momentum of Highway to Hell which IMO definitely makes a difference.

2. There were a lot of people crushed by the death of Bon Scott and worried about the future of AC/DC. A lot of those people including me rushed out to buy the new album (Back in Black)
    the second it was released.

3. I think most people would agree that back in black would have been every bit as good with Bon Scott as Brian Johnson.

4. Years, even after the success of Back in Black, Brian Johnson was judged against Bon Scott.

At the end of it all its just about personal opinion and who you liked more and if that's Brian Johnson then there is nothing wrong with that. I think Brian deserves a ton of respect.

For me and a lot of people who were around back then it is Bon Scott. Their vices had a lot of similarities IMO but Brian always sounded like he was singing with a scream. Bon Scott seemed to do so much more with his voice, almost sounded pure evil at times with the way he recited some of the lyrics almost like he was having a very creepy conversation instead of just singing.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

When I think of AC/DC on my death bed, I'll remember Brian's voice, not Bon's.

10. crash5179

That's absolutely fair

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's like One Direction without Zayn. People just don't care anymore.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not sure if this was posted.

AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band over the years. As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we support Brian's decision to save his hearing. We are dedicated to fulfilling our touring commitments to all that have supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment. For full press release and tour dates, head to http://www.acdc.com/news

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Johnson is credited on the album for the BIB lyrics, but the royalties for the lyrics go to Scott's estate. If the was simply a swap of vocals, would have to think BIB would've had the same success.

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Blind Melon still tours without Hoon, they played a three-night sold out stand at a theatre here in Lafayette, IN recently to much acclaim. Ugh.

I moved here when I was 15, a couple of weeks after Hoon OD'd, and I thought he'd be a laughingstock. It was 1995 and I'm thinking, "you people still listen to that crap?"

15. crash5179

What a lot of people don't realize is that the album Back in Black was half written befor Bon Scott died. You can even YouTube Bon Scott and Shook Me All Night long to here him sing the song live before he died and before the album Back in Black was recorded.

The last AC/DC concert I attended they still play songs from the Bon Scott era for over half of the concert.

Not hating on Johnson though, I think he was greatness with AC/DC. I just think the band was better and had a more versatile sound that included some blues when Scott was alive.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent post, Crash. That's where I'm coming from, as well. It's all good, but forced to a choice (and some time travel, which I'll do with my memory, such as it is these days) I would have to pick Bon. A gas to see, either way.

17. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

all the axl stuff hes known for does not happen anymore, hes only left when ppl and thrown stuff after a few warnings….but most the stuff was in the 90s and its followed him. he's actually a cool guy, ive met him

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm cool with it too, unless it's 1 original member and 4 other guys. Hard to get excited about seeing a band from my youth that I never got to see live if there's only 1 or 2 original members.

AC/DC used to be on my bucket list, but with no Malcolm, no Phil and now no Brian....eh. I think I'll skip this tour. Like someone else said...I still have their albums to listen to.

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Leave to a fellow drummer to finally mention Phil Rudd as a crucial part of AC DC!

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought that was common knowledge! Dude never played a fill. Just kept time and smoked his cigarette. :)