1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AAF Needed $250 Million Investment to Avoid Missing Payroll

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Air Langhi, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There 54 players and 8 teams and they make about 80k. That works out to about 3.5mil a week in payroll. Suppose players are 35% of expenses. That is 10 mil per week to operate the league per week. How did they not plan for that .

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I think I saw Ayers make a couple of catches. Out a few big names in there like Vince Young I am willing to watch.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You really do have to question the viability of any league that is surprised by expenses in week 2.

They weren't just a little short on finances, it's like they though everything was gonna be free after the actual product launched.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe some pie in the sky projections on ratings, advertising and attendance/concessions; when they could conceivably all be goose eggs.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think that $200 - 300 million range is what a franchise would have sold for in the early '90s. Lamar Hunt and Bud Adams could make these kinds of bets and loans on the AFL and less solvent owners partly because Hunt was a bottomless pit, but also because the NFL had such glaring blind spots on population growth outside of the Rust Belt, incorporating the passing game and some stragglers on racial integration like Preston Marshall. This is just a sinkhole, there are really no un-turned stones anymore, any large city that doesn't have a team now probably wouldn't get any radio revenues or a large enough income base subsidize skyboxes or PSLs.

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Something something something........Tilman Fertitta.