1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question for people who went to poor schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimbaud, Aug 17, 2018.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was reading through another thread and started wondering something.

Did anyone else’s not have real classes in middle or high school?

By that I mean I literally was not taught 8th grade history, HS chemistry, and geometry off the top of my head. There either wasn’t a teacher and was a yearlong sub who couldn’t teach the subject or there was a teacher who didn’t teach and instead just talked about random things or told us about how awesome they were when they were in high school.

For those classes we were either given the answers for tests or finals ahead of time (so the school wouldn’t look bad) or you would take real tests, fail them, and then magically get an A or B at the end of the semester.

I am wondering how common this kind of thing is and was and what others might have experienced.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, it's all starting to make sense now.

But in answer to your question, no, that didn't happen to me in TX public education. Some classes were on the lame side, with a coach just showing films and handing out worksheets, but there was still content.

I had a very bad college course once, with an adjunct prof who was a total flake and missed a lot of classes.

Not sure how common your experience might be, but I would bet it is increasing in frequency.

cml750 likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

One of my friends went to a private school like that. Literally skipped school twice to hang out at his school where we could do whatever the hell we wanted.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The school district cant put highly paid math teachers in schools with no students qualified for the classes.

I went to a ghetto black Catholic Middle School and when i went to St Thomas the kids from wealthier schools had more advanced classes.

That being said there were not enough kids to justify those classes at my middle school

5. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Uh, ok. In most states teachers are paid within the same scale regardless of subject and that certainly was true for when I was in school. Also everything I listed was part of the mandatory curriculum. So...yeah.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Some math teachers have docterates but regardless im sure they are paid more.

Ghetto schools have more pressing issues with poor students that costs money also

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@rimbaud

School districts are rich or poor. You might be in a ghetto hisd school but hisd is actually classified financially strong.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to public school in NOLA - it was pretty bad. My parents put us in private school but it was Catholic and they treated us poorly for not being Catholic so my parents were forced to put us back in public school. It was definitely a lower tier of education. Ultimately we moved to Sugarland and we were young enough we could easily catch up. But definitely if you don't live in the right area you are getting shafted

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think schools provides supplementery education only to kids but does not replace what kids learn from their parents with all respects to teachers out there.
    [ Premium Parenting Skill]
    when my kid was an infant and refused to eat his cereal, I would eat his disgusting cereal within seconds,and do my victory dance and brag of how strong I will be, aside from explaining the wisdom behind this weird behavior to his mom, I knew he learned a valuable lesson of competitiveness .you can't teach that in school

10. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I really am only interested in personal experiences. I have no ulterior objective with my question so no need for whatever it is you are doing.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im saying your premise of poor school is a misnomer. You look at the district

Whatever i did is no secret. Pretty straightforward ass point

12. rimbaud

Supporting Member

A person doesn’t go to a district they go to schools and I am asking for personal experiences. I’ll ignore the other stuff and just tell you to replace “poor” with “crappy” if that makes it more clear for you.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But schools arent poor. Districts are

So what is your experience in a poor district as opposed to poor school. Now that being said schools in districts are not the same and obviously economics of the neighborhood matter.

But an hisd school in a poor neighborhood is attached to hisd so it isnt poor

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Your experience is almost a carbon copy of mine.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@rimbaud

I grew up in a bad poor ghetto district. North Forest in northeast Houston. I didn't attend school there however.

One thing that stood out to me then and now is how comfortable kids in my neighborhood were with very poor grades.

That being said im sure its the same in hisd poor neighboorhoods

16. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Yes it does. I did crap in college chemistry and wasn’t ready to really understand it until my late 20’s. The funny thing is I now have done graduate study and it is a part of my everyday life.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Twelve years of Catholic parochial schools in Houston during the late 60's-70's and feel I got a really great edge from it. I was zoned into some pretty disadvantaged schools in Sunnyside area of Houston had I attended public schools.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Same here. See? We can have things in common. :cool:

cml750 likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@rimbaud

I believe you were in hisd from previous posts. I remember vaguely you talking about your school experience in the past in terms of quality of school.

We have to be honest about the quality of education of the homes around the school affecting the school.

You cant just throw money at those schools. HSID has bad schools. Its not a poor district. So whats the issue?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My parents were Asian. They sent my ass to a public school where I could take and pass 7 AP courses.

But I almost went to Dulles high if I didn't move to Cali...