1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Great National Team doesn't equal Best Domestic League?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Just because a country have a great National Team doesn't mean their domestic pro league is the best of the whole world. I wish the USA's success in the World Cup can lead to the MLS becoming one of the elite major pro leagues in the world of soccer but it's still a long way to go especially they need to be better than Mexico's Liga MX in the CONCACAF Champions League and other international club tournaments.

For example, Costa Rica NT is good but that does not mean the Costa Rican soccer league is better than the Italian Serie A and the Uruguayan League. Algeria beating South Korea does not mean the Algerian League is better than the K-League. England's Premier League and Spain's La Liga are still two of the best soccer leagues in the world despite the poor performances from their national teams.

In other sports like baseball, MLB is the best baseball league in the world but the USA Baseball team have failed to win a World Baseball Classic championship. Countries like Japan and Dominican Republic have success in international baseball. Basketball and Hockey are the only sports where there's only one nation that's successful in both the international level and having the best professional domestic league. USA and the NBA in basketball. Canada and the NHL in hockey.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're just now figuring this out? Welcome to age 18 in heypartner's world

3. Orange

Orange Member

Wow I never knew that one. Lol u should be explaining this to ur girlfriend or mom.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Arguably second best domestic league (Premier League) does not field the second best national team

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Realistically, where would MLS rank?

certainly behind:
    English Premier
    Spanish league
    Italian league
    German Bundesliga
    French league

Maybe behind:
    Turkey? Netherlands?

About even with the Mexican league

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, behind Turkey and Netherlands, as well as Brazil, Argentina, Portugal (at least the top teams).

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah sounds about right. I think MLS will grow now that their tv contracts are much bigger and advertising has picked up. But regarding star players, it's still got that "retirement league" stigma going, and it's not helped by David Villa and Kaka coming this year, as both are sunsetting their careers.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Frank Lampard coming?

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Seattle Sounders blog Sounder at Heart did a piece back in June that came up with a formula for ranking the domestic leagues. I didn't spend a lot of time breaking down the formula or anything, but at first glance, the rankings seem fair.

LINK

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mexican league teams generally dominate the MLS in the Champions League so I wouldn't say they are even with MLS.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mexicans or Latin Americans are technically gifted. Maybe half a tier below South Americans.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Tough to compare. Other leagues have clearly defined haves and have nots. MLS is much more parity focused.

For example, I think 4-5 top Swedish teams play better soccer than any MLS team. But should I rank MLS below Swedish league? I'm not sure. I don't even see Swedish league on that list at all (jdh008 post).

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sweden is 42nd on the Full Data list.... 30 places below which I think is totally crazy.

I agree with you. Those teams of Minor leagues have been to the Euro League every year. This is the 2nd best European competition after Champions League. They sometimes make the CL.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess the MLS is certainly more renowned than several second to third tier European leagues.
    Does not mean it is more competitve than second tier European competition.

Edit: Japan's league who is only 6 slots below MLS is not better than the Argentinian league. They have been transferring talents to Europe frequently but the domestic players are not that good.
    They have been losing to South Korean(41st place) teams and other Asian teams regularly.

Maybe that is the gist of it.
    Brazilian league who is a strong exporter of talents versus MLS who has been a receiver of retired stars and talents in the peast but who is now grooming his own local talent are similarly ranked

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

*in the past

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOLs! :grin: I couldn't read any further I was laughing so much... GOOD ONE! Ha! A knee slapper! :grin:

:eek: SRSLY speaking... yeah, why can't the MLS or USA league ever win it? They have good teams.

#16 SwoLy-D, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many North American Champions League titles did those MLS teams win or did they win any?

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't think they've ever won it. The LA Gals come to mind since the inclusion of the MLS, but that's about it... I'll have to research it. :eek:

19. Beavis Stiffler

Only 2 teams from MLS won the CONCACAF Champions Cup/League.

DC United won it in 1998 and the Galaxy won in 2000. Since then, Liga MX is dominating the competition and on pace to be like the NFC dominating the Super Bowl in the mid-80's through late-90's.